View Poll Results: What did you think of Hairspray?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 - Stars: Sign me up to be the next Teenage Hairspray

54 62.07%
  • 4 - Stars: Corny Collins is too cute

22 25.29%
  • 3 Stars: I wasted a whole can of Ultra Clutch

4 4.60%
  • 2 Stars: Tracy should have stayed in the basement

0 0%
  • 1 Star: Ricky Lake is better

7 8.05%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Crazy Furry

Re: Hairspray - MiceChat Reviews

Just got back from it and I simply loved it!

John Travolta did a excellent job as Edna, it was priceless when he was dancing with Christopher Walken.

The intergration march and song sent chills down my entire body, while "I can hear the bells" had me in fits of laughter.

I can agree that this is one of the best films of the summer, it made you feel good when it was over and was just plain entertaining!

On anther note, I saw the trailer for "Enchanted". Unlike Underdog it actually looks to be pretty good! (Love the shots of the dragon in it. ^_^)
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

• Man O Lantern

The original Hairspray is one of my favorite movies and Hairspray the Musical is by far one of my favorite musicals, yet John Travolta is one of my least favorite actors....as is Zac Efron.

But you can't stop the beat.

My kids are at my mom's until Monday, so we'll see it as soon as they get back. I've just recently gotten excited about it--I was so afraid it was going to suck.

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

I can't believe that Chuck and Larry beat Hairspray in weekend sales. Hopefully people will come and see it after hearing goodthings about it.

• q:-)

Went to see it yesterday - an absolutely GREAT movie!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

What a fantastic film! There were 6 of us who went to see it in San Diego on Saturday and I think we all had perma-smiles plastered to our faces through the whole film. What an upbeat and positive film! I can't wait to see this again!!!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    I didn't see the original - but wife did - and again, liked this one better. It's a total musical - almost all the lines are sung.
    This movie is based on the stage musical, which was based on the original movie. So it's a little bit different.

This was my favorite musical that I saw at the OCPAC. I was ready to run away with the company afterwards, so I'm looking forward to seeing the movie next weekend in San Francisco.
    A signature should go here.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

5 Stars from me. Easy. I'd rank it right up there with Ratatouille as my personal "best films" of the summer so far. John Travolta's performance didn't do much for me, but there were many other standouts in the cast: Queen Latifah, Allison Janney, James Marsden (really!), Zac Efron, Amanda Bynes and Elijah Kelley--who was a major revelation to me. What a talent! This was one awesome movie. I may have to go see it again.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

It's the kind of film that entertains from start to finish. It's funny, the music and dancing are first rate, and the attention to detail when it comes to the time frame it takes place in was amazing.

We saw the stage musical in Vegas, and the movie didn't throw in any unnecessary dialog, nearly the entire story was told in song, which was refreshing for a movie based on a play. I can't wait to add the DVD to our library when it comes out.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

Quote Originally Posted by WRDup View Post
    lets not get carried away. it was cute and funny and it definetly had its moments but seriously, the best movie of the summer? thats stretching it...
    I seconed this. I love the first one so much better. I should have gone with my dh and kids and seen transformers. I well say I'm going to buy the soundtrack.

• Earth Intruder

I saw it last night and thought it was great! Zac Efron and James Marsden are soooooooooooo damn cute. Nikki Blonsky totally carried the movie well. John Revolta .... well.... it sort of grew on me by the end.

I gave it 4 of 5 stars... it is hard to for me to watch movie musicals when I'm very familiar with the Broadway version. I first saw Hairspray in previews (with Harvey Fierstein and Marissa Jaret Winokur); the entire cast was quite a few notches above the cast of the movie (i.e. Queen Latifah was good, but the woman who played Maybelle on stage was OH MY GOD WOW).

Plus lots of times I was thinking "oh this is different from the stage play", and I liked how they did it better in the stage play, so parts were mildly dissapointing (i.e. they cut the entire jail sequence and song, which is one of my favorite songs/parts in the play, they chopped up Motormouth Maybelle's first song in a way which I didn't think worked, they tailored Michelle Pfeiffer's song in a way that showcased her lack of singing ability, they cut a LOT LOT LOT of the jokes that were funny with Fierstein but wouldn't work with Travolta, they cut the
    "Mama I'm a Big Girl Now" number [though they DID play it over the credits!], and the whole "cooties" number [though again they did play it over the credits], Zac Efron singing "Without Love" to.. a picture frame, WTF, instead of to Tracy herself in jail like in the play, the ending was just not as good with Michelle Pfeiffer and Britney Snow just sitting around looking upset, the "march" didn't actually go into the studio, etc.).

Heh that sounds like a lot but really, I did enjoy the movie. I just have to learn to take movie musicals for what they are (i.e. they aren't going to just film the musical verbatim because then what's the point of the film?). I just think the choices they made had more oomph in the play.

I had the same sort of experience with the movie "Rent". My roommate, wholly unfamiliar with the play or the music, thought it was great, and I thought it was missing something. Same with Chicago, which to me was completely disappointing. "Hairspray" was a lot of fun tho. Go see it!
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Thumbs up Re: Hairspray - MiceChat Reviews

i loved hairspray!!!!!!!!! i cannot get the songs out of my head! 5 stars!

•   
    • So fetch

I saw Hairspray again with Lil LL. It was still fun the 2nd time around. I can't wait to get the DVD.

I was just going to ask for a comparison to the stage performance and then I get to Cherny's wonderful and detailed comparison. Thanks!

I saw the show in LA with Marissa Jaret Winokur and Bruce Vilach and loved them both (but was bummed Harvey Firestein didn't travel to LA, I love him in the original cast recording). When I found out Travolta was cast in the Fierstein/Divine role I swore I wouldn't see the new movie. But, now it's getting all these good reviews so I'm tempted. Are you guys sure Travolta doesn't ruin the movie (and my great memories from the stage performance)?

P.S. I agree about RENT not living up to the stage version, but one major point in its favor is the use of great stage talent.

• Miss Marvel

It's completely wolfette appropriate. In fact, I was surprise it was PG, not G. But my hubby pointed out that there is some suggestive dancing and kissing.

If I was bringing my child, if I had a child, to see the movie, I would talk to them ahead of time regarding the 60's, discrimination, inappropriate language/slang, etc., so they can be better prepared for what they are going to see.

Other than that, it's one great big movie musical!
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Daughter and I went to see it today and loved it! I never saw the original nor the musical so I have nothing to compare it too. Maybe that is a good thing as I knew nothing of what they left out. My daughter was drooling over the dresses the girls wore. She loves that era of clothing. Loved the colors, music, parody of the '60's. Hey, I was in Jr. High in 1962 so this was right up my alley. I can remember dancing in my living room with my best friend every day to American Bandstand.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast