Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Exclamation Was anyone disappointed with HP and the DH? **Warning Spoilers possible**

Ok so I finished read HP and the DH last night, and I really didn't like how it ended. If you loved it -- I'm glad for you, I wish I had appreciated it as much as you did... as much as I loved the previous books and characters I thought it could have been better...

Spoiler
    So first off, the epilogue where everything was happily ever after seemed really cheesy. I'm glad that they all got together, but why does everything have to end happily? I also would have liked to know more about individuals other than Harry, Ron, Hermione...Did the whole Harry sacrificing himself for the greater good remind you a little too much of Narnia and Aslan -- that's all I could think about it. What happened to Narcissa and Lucius Malfoy in the end? Since we know Draco survives, were his parents sent to Azkaban?? And the whole title of the book -- it wasn't really about the Deathly Hallows at all, I thought a lot of the book (once you finally reached the end) seemed like filler, really like it could have been 300 pages shorter...and I am still confused with the wand ownership stuff, seemed like Voldie's death was way too anticlimactic. And why did she have to off Hedwig??

The things I did like: Props to Neville and Kreacher -- and I knew Snape wasn't evil --

Anyone else share my sentiments?

•   

Re: Was anyone disappointed with HP and the DH? **Warning Spoilers possible**

I sort of agree with you. I felt like the ending, before the epilogue, just sort of ended and that was it. I don't really know what I was expecting after that battle but I know it was more than Harry just wanting to go to bed in his "true home."
    I thought I heard that JK actually had the epilogue written for years. If that's true then I understand why it would have been written the way it was.

Maybe this leaves JK to write something else.
    I personally have thought that this was it and nothing else would come of Harry Potter but after that ending.........I've changed my mind.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

I loved it. It sets up more stories from Hogwarts if Rowling wants to.

Spoiler
    I was mad when I thought Harry had to die in order to kill Voldemort, and then I cried for joy when I knew Harry would survive. I am so happy she did not kill him. I like happy endings and seeing what happens in the future. The only thing I did not like was her killing Hedwig. Why was that necessary? Other then that, I think it was one of her bests.

• Rock Star Minion

No. Not disappointed.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• She was sweet as a peach

Just finished it. Not disappointed but I do agree about a lot of filler. It could have been shorter.

• If We Can Dream It...

I'd don't really post in these types of threads but, I really had some strong thoughts on the the book. I felt the ending was a little rushed. It was pretty much the climax and then the end. Unlike in the other books, they didn't show what happened "sort-of immediately" after the big fight

And there were some things in this book that I absolutely hated:

Spoiler
    Why was it that they killed off Lupin & Tonks? For some reason, their deaths bothered me more than any of the other main characters that got killed off.
    And then, there's the epilogue....While I do love that they did do something to show what happened later, it was far too short! I really wanted to know what happend to most of the main characters! What had happened to McGonagall, Flitwick, George, Mr. & Mrs. Weasley, Malfoy, etc.? Of course I also wanted to find some relief in the epilogue about some lesser things, what had happened to Sirius' House, Ministry of Magic, and what were Harry, Ron, & Hermione's jobs?

While those things bugged me VERY much, I still thought the book was great and a far better piece of literature than most of the garbage put out there today.

EDIT: Forgot some stuff: While I do agree that there was some stuff that could be taken out, I feel that this will be extremely difficult to turn into a movie. If they put in everything I would, we'd be looking at something like a 4-hr movie!
    Worse part about this book for me is that it's causing me to go into a no-more-HP-books withdrawl. I really need some help...
    Last edited by horizonsfan92; 07-24-2007 at 11:09 AM.
    - Horizonsfan

• Clearing my Calendar

As far as saying that HP and the DH wasn't really about the deathly hallows is kind of like saying GOF wasn't about the goblet of fire (the cup that spouts the names ) or that HBP wasn't about the Half-Blood Prince ('cause, it was just a book and it wasn't the central theme).

But I kind of agree that it felt like a weird ending. It just...ended.

My husband has been doing a lot of reading about it and apparently, she went from (in one interview a while back) being absolutely resolute in that there will never be anymore Harry Potter to (apparently in a more recent interview) that, while she has no intention of doing another Harry Potter, she doesn't know what will strike her ten years down the road.

The fact that the book didn't answer all my questions tells me, quite planly, that she knows, deep down, she'll want to revisit that world.

And I'm not complaining.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

You want to talk about filler? Go rip a good few hundred pages out of OotP while you're at it, but don't touch my Hallows.

Spoiler
    Sure, some of the tent stuff dragged, but the Hallows had everything to do with the story. It's what Voldy is doing like the ENTIRE time. in the story. I think it's funny because when Deathly Hallows was translated in Objects of Death, everyone thought it was a Horcrux reference, but it actually was the objects of death...anyways. I think Deathly Hallows had as much significance as the rest of the titles had for their respective books.

As for Hedwig, I see this death as a necessary way to remove a problematic character. At the point where they are constantly moving and the Death Eaters control the Ministry, having Hedwig around no longer has a point. It'd only function for her to be able to describe the "solitary hoot of the snowy owl broke the tense silence in the tent." She wouldn't exactly be able to fulfill her prior function in the books, of delivering letters and such. On top of that, it wasn't like Hedwig was specifically targeted by the Death Eaters. THAT would have been a little much.

As for happy endings, this is how I feel: Even if she'd killed off practically everyone, an ending in which Voldemort died would be loads better than an ending in which he lived, especially because we know that Harry would HAVE to be the one to kill Voldemort in the end.

I covered this in the other thread, but I understand your frustration about not knowing more about the fates of other characters, but I understand Rowling's motives here. First and foremost, you are going to disappoint someone, so shoot for what has the best probability. While little Shane in Oklahoma or Timmy in Rhode Island might wonder what happened to Hagrid or Grawp and whether Aberforth ever went on to do anything of mention, spending time on those specific characters would be problematic because they don't have wide appeal to everyone. Furthermore, it would be even more problematic to just bite the bullet and talk about all of the characters because there are HUNDREDS. I could probably list all of the characters that I wonder what happened to, but at the point where I do, I would be looking at a list with at least a hundred names. I think what happened is the RUMOR got out that JK was going to give EVERY surviving character their own little epilogue and then people assumed that that is what would happen. By focusing on Harry/Ginny, Ron/Hermione, Draco, and Neville, Rowling captures a lot of the "main" characters of the book. Furthermore, this allows her an AWFUL lot of wiggle room to come back and write more about the next generation of Hogwarts. Frankly, I'd take THAT over the cold finality that such a detailed epilogue would bring.

I totally agree with you about the Aslan comment. I made it in the spoiler thread because I thought a lot about that when it happened, especially because of the desecration of the body after he was "dead."

As for Malfoy's parents, while a good question, I think there are a lot of other characters that I would be wondering about. For example, I'm curious about the 50 some people that died for Harry. Who were they? With all of the name dropping in the series, I assure you there would be loads of secondary characters dead.

As for the wand ownership stuff, what exactly are you confused about? I found the wandlore absolutely magnificent and engaging, even if it was as much of a distraction for me as the Deathly Hallows were for Harry.

As for Voldy's death, it's quite poetic and ironic if you ask me. But before we get there, personally I would have preferred for him to be run through with the sword of Godric Gryffindor, but that's just me. Anyways, his death, although sort of anticlimatic, is quite ironic and poetic. Harry never, ever has to use dark magic or an unforgivable curse to kill Voldemort. He never even has to do a proper spell. The only spell he does do is the "Expelliarmus" disarming spell. Purely defensive, yet, according to Lupin, a signature move that wouldn't do anything against the Dark Lord. It's also very ironic that what Voldemort thought would be his greatest weapon, the one to finally kill Harry Potter, ended up being his undoing because it wasn't his. Arguably the most important aspect of how he died, however, is the fact that Harry even offered Voldemort a way out. He asked him to try for some remorse. The typical hero. Anti-climatic? Yeah. Cliche? Sort of. Brilliant, given the alternatives? I sure as heck think so.

Back very briefly onto the happy ending part, as much of a cop-out as this sounds, Harry's deserved it. Before the poor child has even turned 17, his parents died for him, his godfather died, an acquaintance died, and his greatest mentor died too. Add to that that in the 7th book, Harry has loads of people and things maimed and killed because of him. After all of the torment and hell that JK's subjected him to in the series, would you honestly expect or even feel it justified to kill off one of his closest friends or even him in the end? That would be all sorts of low, and for what? To not be predictable? To rebel against conventions and close off the greatest literary series of my generation on a sour note? What purpose would a sad ending have served? Or even a bittersweet one for that matter (although it's pretty bittersweet if you ask me, Harry has to deal with the deaths that happened because of him)? The ending made me happy because it gave Harry what he had ALWAYS longed for, a family and a normal life (ie, his children ask what the people on the train are staring at because they don't know the significance of their father to the wizarding world....awwww). As the series progressed, he started to have a sense of family and time after time, it was ripped from him. Finally, he gets it.

Technically speaking, her resoluteness about no more Harry Potter will probably never be broken, even with the epilogue. It can be set in the same world and not have Harry be the central character, and thus, not be a Harry Potter book any longer.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Aside from the epilogue, which was written so far ahead of time that it didn't match the rest of the book, I really liked it. I love the wandlore and the mythology- that was the best part! And of course it was about the Hallows, since

Spoiler
    Harry was the only one worthy to reunite the 3 pieces, and, like the Sorcerer's Stone, not want to use them for evil. And now we know how he got the Invisibility Cloak, as a descendant of the Perevells.
    A signature should go here.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Spoiler
    It was difficult to figure out Voldy and Harry were related but I wanted to know about Harry's future like the next year. Did he go back to school? What does he do? He probably wouldn't work for the Ministry so...?
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Practically Perfect

I didn't care for the epilogue. I thought it was a little TOO happy ending. I was cringing that the children's names were all from other characters (ie- Albus, James, Lily) specifically names of characters HARRY cared about. Could they have thrown in a name like...oh I dunno...Fred maybe? (that is if you must go down the 'name the kids after someone else' route) Whatever.

Overall I liked the story. Parts dragged for me, but it usually picked up quickly. As for the Alslan thing, I think it's just due to the fact that Harry Potter is based heavily in mythology. It has a lot of classic elements, which is why the series will be so lasting and is so enjoyable.

If you didn't like it (at least not a lot) that isperfectly fine. I for one HATED OotP and it took me almost all summer to read the first time through! But, now when I re-read it it's not so bad...

The wandlore was what got me -- I couldn't follow how
    Spoiler
    the deathstick didn't belong to Voldie and who it did belong to so and so forth -- i read those few pages a few times and tried figuring it out, but I must have missed something earlier on...
    Twist of Fate -- your Hedwig comment makes sense, she wouldn't have had much function, but still he could have left her with Ron's Family...

And Tonks and Lupin's death was striking -- after Harry's speech to him about being a good parent, what possessed the both of them to fight after seeing how Harry suffered without any parents? Maybe they knew Harry would live and take care of Teddy..

I just dont think that I would have jumped that far ahead in the epilogue -- I think it would have been good to have them go off to their respective future jobs, and then leave the door open rather than showing them that far down the road...

I'm thinking if I read all of them again back to back, it might put this one into a little more perspective for me...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

It's because
    Spoiler
    Voldemort was not the one who took the wand from it's rightful owner. Draco was the one who disarmed Dumbledore at the end of HBP. Voldemort figured, incorrectly that it now belonged to Snape (since he actually killed Dumbledore), so he killed Snape in order to control the wand, which still didn't work AND was a waste since you don't have to kill the person to take their wand. Harry had already taken Draco's wand, so he was at the top of the wand exchanging game, he was able to claim the Elder Wand and disarm Voldemort, who then ended up killing himself during the transfer.

Nephy can help me out on that if I forgot anything. I know I skipped a step last time.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Spoiler
    As for Hedwig, I see this death as a necessary way to remove a problematic character. At the point where they are constantly moving and the Death Eaters control the Ministry, having Hedwig around no longer has a point. It'd only function for her to be able to describe the "solitary hoot of the snowy owl broke the tense silence in the tent." She wouldn't exactly be able to fulfill her prior function in the books, of delivering letters and such. On top of that, it wasn't like Hedwig was specifically targeted by the Death Eaters. THAT would have been a little much.

Spoiler
    If they had made it to the Burrows she would have stayed there. She was not problematic. I think it was done to start to seperate Harry from everything- remember how there is a theme about Harry feeling cut off, seperate and away from everything and everyone and each death makes him feel further away. That was the purpose-not because she was a problem.

I loved the book...however, as usual she bogs down in lengthy exposition passages and I don't like those. Even the final battle between Harry and Voldemort was page upon page of "circle each other and talk- circle each other and talk- POOF dead"

I love the world she created- I am not fond of her writing style in her larger books. That clunky exposition stuff did not start until GoF (to a lesser extent in PoA)

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

But everyone knows you've got to get the villain to monologue first! It's their weakness!

That's what I was thinking when I read that part, too. Enough with the chit chat, let's go already!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast