Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Disney becomes first studio to ban images of smoking

7/25/07

Today, the Walt Disney Studio becomes the first Hollywood studio to ban depiction of smoking in its films. Iger cited a recent House of Representatives Committee report which followed studies of the effect of smoking in children's films. The studio will also include Anti-smoking PSA's on DVD's and future films.

More on this story at Reuters

• All you need is LOVE

Re: Disney becomes first studio to ban images of smoking

Wow interesting

• Up is Down

hmmmmmmmm interesting! I think it is dumb but thats just me.... I really dont think people smoking in movies makes kids want to smoke....
    The earth is round.... or so i've found.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I really dont think people smoking in movies makes kids want to smoke....
    I disagree. I think if kids see "cool" people smoking and drinking, then they will want to do the same thing.

I applaud Disney for taking this stand.

•   
    • So fetch

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    hmmmmmmmm interesting! I think it is dumb but thats just me.... I really dont think people smoking in movies makes kids want to smoke....

I think it's dumb too. If kids are going to smoke and drink it's not going to because they saw someone in a movie do it but because their peers are doing it.

• Splash Mountain addict.

As someone who has lost a dear relative to emphysema, any sort of repudiation of smoking is a good thing IMHO. While I agree that smoking in movies (especially Disney movies) doesn't have as big of an impact on children choosing to smoke as do peers, parents, and family, any time that society can send a message out that smoking is a dangerous habit is an opportunity of which we should take advantage.

Not sure whether I believe smoking in films causes kids to adopt that behavior as a generality, but I do applaud the decision.

Certainly, we can't say for sure that every kid or whoever is impacted, but surely some might. It doesn't cost the studio anything to adopt this policy, so why not do it?
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by LuvsLilo View Post
    I think it's dumb too. If kids are going to smoke and drink it's not going to because they saw someone in a movie do it but because their peers are doing it.
    Replace "peers" with "parents..." and I will begin to believe you...

It still doesn't mean that Smoking shouldn't be banned in family oriented films... I mean, really think about it... Besides, there has been a long standing issue amongs many stockholders at Disney annual meetings where this matter continually comes up...

• MA Reader Since 2003

Great news!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post

7/25/07

Today, the Walt Disney Studio becomes the first Hollywood studio to ban depiction of smoking in its films. Iger cited a recent House of Representatives Committee report which followed studies of the effect of smoking in children's films. The studio will also include Anti-smoking PSA's on DVD's and future films.

More on this story at Reuters

I hope Disney does nothing to change their old films. I hate and detest cenorship in all forms. Pinocchio smoking a cigar is a very very important scene in "Pinocchio," to edit that would be a travesty. To edit any film for PC reasons would be a travesty. They already did it to "Saludos Amigos," where you can no longer see Goofy smoke. "Fantasia" has also been edited so black servants are not visible in the segment with the centaurs. Disney has got to stop with this PC nonsense. I am completely against smoking, but completely banning it from movies is ridiculous.

• Minion

This had better not mean censoring classic films.

When they digitally painted Pecos Bill's cigarette out of the video it nearly destroyed the scene. There are lots of scenes showing smoking's character connotations: Pinocchio at Pleasure Island, the Caterpillar, Donald and his nephews, Jose Carioca, Cruella DeVil, Captain Hook, the Indians, Merlin, Fred MacMurray and his pipe... the list is endless.

It will have to be grandfathered. Or they will be defacing art!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Oh jeez, peers and parents are the main influences in children smoking not movies.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!

Thumbs up Re: Disney becomes first studio to ban images of smoking

I completely agree that the scene in pinocchio should stay in. And even though I think an overall ban is a good thing, IMHO I think the most important thing would be a negative portrayal of smoking when it is there, not a complete ban...I watched a (I think Disney cartoon) when I was a kid and everytime one character would smoke he had huge coughing fits. To this day I still remember that scene vividly.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    I hope Disney does nothing to change their old films. I hate and detest cenorship in all forms. Pinocchio smoking a cigar is a very very important scene in "Pinocchio," to edit that would be a travesty. To edit any film for PC reasons would be a travesty. They already did it to "Saludos Amigos," where you can no longer see Goofy smoke. "Fantasia" has also been edited so black servants are not visible in the segment with the centaurs. Disney has got to stop with this PC nonsense. I am completely against smoking, but completely banning it from movies is ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    This had better not mean censoring classic films.

When they digitally painted Pecos Bill's cigarette out of the video it nearly destroyed the scene. There are lots of scenes showing smoking's character connotations: Pinocchio at Pleasure Island, the Caterpillar, Donald and his nephews, Jose Carioca, Cruella DeVil, Captain Hook, the Indians, Merlin, Fred MacMurray and his pipe... the list is endless.

It will have to be grandfathered. Or they will be defacing art!

I agree with both of you. If this means censoring older films, then Disney better re-evaluate their decision, because this won't go over well with the fan community and critics.

Other than that, I think this is a silly move. I suppose Disney is a family entertainment company, but still, isn't it the parents' job to teach their children what should and shouldn't be done?

Both of my parents smoke and I've never once been inclined to try it. They told me and my brother it was bad and that we shouldn't do it. They always went outside or away from us to smoke, reinforcing that it was something that we shouldn't be involved with, and that, along with seeing blackened/"tarred" pig lungs and other non-smoking stuff in elementary school taught me better.

I hardly think it is Hollywood's responsibility to educate children. And it's a shame that they're being forced into taking up this responsibility.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    I hardly think it is Hollywood's responsibility to educate children. And it's a shame that they're being forced into taking up this responsibility.
    Still it is Hollywood's effort to follow trends... and the anti smoking trend is exceptionally strong...

I don't think it afects past films... but it does illiminate a revinue stream from cigarette companies in regards to public placement... I think that is what this really is about...

Rather than smoking as an artistic/historic choice... which is still being debated in artistic circles by the way...

All those "truth" campaigns regarding cigarette companies that have targeted smoking in the Muppet Movie really hit a nerve inside the Disney Company which controlls the property...
    Check out my other blog:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast