• ...TWO BITS!

Smokin With Disney

In response to the Disney ban on smoking, let's list all the scenes that have smoking in both the Disney animated and live-action features and shorts shall we? If this was already made, sorry, merge please.

I also want to say I've been watching Disney movies forever yet I've grown up to dislike smoking.

I just found out IMDB.com has a feature for parents to discuss certain contents of films.

Animated Feature- Cruel De Vil (101 Dalmations), Bertha (Atlantis: The Lost Empire), Catepillar (Alice in Wonderland), Pinocchio (Pinocchio), Hook (Peter Pan), Ratigan (Great Mouse Detective), Hades (Hercules), Clayton (Tarzan), Sykes (Oliver & Company), Ratcliffe?? (Pocahontas), Slim?? (Home on the Range)

Animated Short- Pete as Death (Mickey's Christmas Carol), Goofy (No Smoking), Giant (The Brave Little Tailor)

Live-Action- Baby Herman (Who Framed Roger Rabbit), Various (Pete's Dragon), CHICAGO, Davy Jones (Pirates of the Caribbean)

And for good measure, films with drinking: Pink Elephants (Dumbo), Pleasure Island (Pincchio), Sir Hiss (Robin Hood), Gaston's Tavern (Beauty & the Beast), Tavern (Pete's Dragon)
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 07-25-2007 at 09:26 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Huh?

Re: Smokin With Disney

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    Baby Herman (Who Framed Roger Rabbit)
    That's a really really short list for that film...

It was practically every human character in that film!

Even Jessica has been seen with a cig on a long-stem holder.

And let's not forget Betty selling "Cigars, Cigarettes, Eddie Valient!"
    -Tim

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I heard on the radio this morning that they were only going to put a public advisory on the movies that already had smoking but not remove the scenes themselves.

I guess this plan of action only applies to new films?

• white and nerdy

Wait... what? What's going on? Ban on smoking? In movies? Is Disney going to remove the smoking characters or scenes in their movies?

I feel so removed.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    Wait... what? What's going on? Ban on smoking? In movies? Is Disney going to remove the smoking characters or scenes in their movies?

I feel so removed.
    They're replacing all smokable products with walkie talkies.

Chewing tobacco is to be replaced with much safer rocks, sand, and glass.
    -Tim

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    They're replacing all smokable products with walkie talkies.

Chewing tobacco is to be replaced with much safer rocks, sand, and glass.

*announce voice* In other news, rocks have been replaced by Nerf bats to protect the glass house.

• ...TWO BITS!

No one else can think of any other characters??

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Minion

Save your laserdisc and DVDs of classic movies -- the new censorship is going to be painful for film classics and characterizations.

Is a news piece regarding this announcement available somewhere for my reading pleasure?
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I heard on the radio this morning that this only applies to movies under the Disney label. Touchstone or Miramax will not be affected by this policy, although they will probably tone things down a bit as a result.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    "They're replacing all smokable products with walkie talkies.

"Chewing tobacco is to be replaced with much safer rocks, sand, and glass."

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    *announce voice* "In other news, rocks have been replaced by Nerf bats to protect the glass house."
    And sticks will be replaced by those swimming pool noodle thingies as your bones will need to be protected.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Save your laserdisc and DVDs of classic movies -- the new censorship is going to be painful for film classics and characterizations.
    Now merlin, you don't know that it's going to happen. It could, sure, but there's been nothing definite said about that.

• ...TWO BITS!

Instead of banning smoking in films because smoking is bad for you, why not ban smoking all together? Hmm?? Oh, is the cigratte business too powerful or society's money problems will get worse or something? They ban other controlled substances... sigh.

Anyways, it's not Disney, and I don't really like this animated television series, but this one episode of "King of the Hill" has the one character, Dale, relight the Olympic torch with his cigratte because it was lit by the torch... That cigratte seems like a pretty significant product for the story.

Or in "Beethoven", a Universal picture, had the bad guy blow smoke to show a laser alarm system... of course some other smoke source could have been used, but a cigratte is more practical and handy...

-Jurassic Park

• Narnian in Disneyland

6 hours and 29 minutes from the Happiest Place on Earth

Another live-action one is the Professor in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Except that was a pipe, and they said they were banning cigarette smoking. Close enough, though.

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    Instead of banning smoking in films because smoking is bad for you, why not ban smoking all together? Hmm?? Oh, is the cigratte business too powerful or society's money problems will get worse or something? They ban other controlled substances... sigh...
    Freedom of choice. Until cigarettes are made to be a drug like marijuana, meth, cocaine etc. It won't be banned. Plus if you look at it historically, the US was founded on tobacco.

back on topic I was under the impression it was just for future movies?