Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Real Men love the Rocketeer

Check out this web Page devoted to movies that all REAL MEN love

http://www.doubleviking.com/real-men...er-4952-p.html

check me out on Flickr
    www.flickr.com/photos/xsorsburn

• Senior Minion

Re: Real Men love the Rocketeer

I hope they never make a sequel, I really enjoyed this movie. Mainly because I love that era of the past and more. There is a great deal of fantasy in this.
    Last edited by Alchimedes; 08-02-2007 at 12:14 AM.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I love the Rocketeer. LOVE it. As Pinocchio was my very first VHS that got me hooked on Disney when I was so very young, The Rocketeer was my first letterboxed laserdisc that my dad and brother brought home with the laserdisc player. (i did see it on the big screen and loved it but the Rocketeer was the movie that taught me the true meaning of widescreen).

James Horner's score... absolutely fantastic. His music for this and for Willow are his very finest.

I spoke to Dave Stevens, creator of the rocketeer, a few years ago and he still wishes for a chance to have another film. And I do too only i'm sad that it's probably too late as the film just isn't in the minds of the masses. Plus disney still owns the rights to it and will not let it go.

Disney Channel just needs to have a Rocketeer marathon one day.... just like Cartoon Network has an Iron Giant marathon, and TNT has A Christmas Story marathon.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Destroyer of Mallcore

if that's true, then I am a little girl..this movie is just horrible.

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

• Infinitized!

The Rocketeer is one of my favorites. I always wanted a sequel to be made for it, as the ending was setup for it.

• Minion

It's been a long time now, but I liked the Rocketeer a lot when I saw it.

At least part of it was filmed in the town where I live, Santa Maria. I remember reading that they used part of our airport in the film.

And you know how DL has those popcorn vendors with a character "turning" the popcorn machine? (Harold the Matterhorn Yeti is in one). Well, during a trip last year, I saw one with the Rocketeer. I think it was in Tommorowland. I was surprised - I wonder if most people know who the character is anymore.

• All you need is LOVE

Also women love him

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

One of the greatest and most under-rated Disney movies of all time! I'll never forget the great experience also of seeing this movie during its premier run at the newly renovated El Capitan Theater in Hollywood. The singing and dancing ushers/usherettes in that old timey 30's musical number on stage was great. Even the "curtain show" (which they don't seem to do anymore) was fun. They had the THX/Dolby cranked too, it just blew me away... I saw it several times there. I became a real fan of Joe Johnston because of that movie. I had the pleasure of meeting Hiro Narita (the cinematographer) many years later on a production my brother directed.
    --Jonathan

• Banned User

I've always enjoyed this film and never understood why it didn't do so great at the box office. It was a lot of fun and had a strong script and sharp performances.

The score is phenomenal. I get choked up listening to the main theme sometimes. It reminds me of the music from the CircleVision360 film American Journeys.

I really wish Disney would revisit this on DVD and give it a new anamorphic video transfer and lots of extras. It deserves the special edition treatment.

• Canon DSLR Professional

I've known Billy Campbell for more than 37 years we were school chums from 5th to 10th grade at Fork Union Military Academy in Virginia. I think he did a superb job in his roll as The Rocketeer.
    Vance DeBar "Pinto" Colvig was born on September 11, 1892. I was born on September 11, 1959. Goofy huh?
    OOPS.....

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by TiaDalmaFan
    I really wish Disney would revisit this on DVD and give it a new anamorphic video transfer and lots of extras. It deserves the special edition treatment.
    Yeah, I've been waiting for this since I bought my first DVD in 1999! The first release was pathetic.
    --Jonathan

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I remember enjoying this movie a lot when it first came out. Now I want to see it again so badly. And the score rocks!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    Yeah, I've been waiting for this since I bought my first DVD in 1999! The first release was pathetic.
    Same with DICK TRACY!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

Same with DICK TRACY!
    now dick Tracy that was such a great movie, as for rocketeer this movie is really good but completely underrated it's so good but doesn't get the credit
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Huh?

I love the Rocketeer... I mean, Bettie Page was a main character in the comic. What's not to love about a movie based on a comic like that?

I haven't seen the movie in a while, though. But I do love the fact that (last I saw, at least) the helmet and rocket pack could still be seen at Disney-MGM at one of the more permanent outdoor vendors. If I remember right, the location that eventually got turned into a Pizza Planet once had a plaque saying that several scenes from the Rocketeer were filmed in that building. But the last I saw that plaque was early 90s...

As for Dick Tracy, while the music was great and the design of everything looked great, it left a lot of wanting for a Tracy fan.

For one thing, Warren Beatty is NOT Dick Tracy. Ralph Byrd was a better Tracy.

For another thing, that thing with Breathless Mahoney being The Blank was just plain silly. But, Breathless died sick in a prison hospital -- not quite so dramatic.

Really, none of the deaths actually came anywhere close to how they actually happened. Flat Top's death was so much greater in the comics...

It was also missing some MAJOR characters. Like Vitamin B. Flinthart. That's like making Batman without Commissioner Gordon. I realize they were trying to fit a lot of classic characters into the film... in a way, that's one of the disadvantages of the film. I know they didn't need the entire Top family, such as Angel Top or Flat Top Jr. And while B. O. Plenty and Gravel Gertie were major characters that always helped out Tracy, they weren't necessarily needed -- though, it would have been nice to see them in the movie. However, Vitamin is practically needed for any great Dick Tracy movie!

This is one of the few times (only?) in movie history where the novelization of the movie actually had influence on the film. Too bad they didn't take a few more hints from the first draft of that novelization.

Since Sam Raimi has his hands on The Shadow now, maybe it's time for him to get his hands on Dick Tracy and do the movie good.
    -Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast