• Circle of Ancients

Animated Neil Peart (Rush) Playing YYZ

http://www.bobbysbrane.com/animation...ation-fun.html

This is truly an awesome amateur animation of without a doubt the greatest drummer ever.

Even if you aren't a Rush fan, you will enjoy this.

•   
    • debating what to put here

Re: Animated Neil Peart (Rush) Playing YYZ

Well, I don't really agree about the "Greatest Drummer" thing but I'll check it out anyway.

Edited after viewing: Very nice animation job! I've been playing drums for over 25 years so I was interested to see how close he would get the animations, especially things like which hand he led off with during fills, that sort of thing. The animator really did a great job with accuracy though. Impressive.
    Last edited by Motorboat Cruiser; 07-05-2005 at 06:44 PM.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Circle of Ancients

^ Then who, in your opinion, is the greatest drummer?

• Minion

Nice find there, Sir Clinksalot! Thanks for sharing.

Not only is that video well animated and accurate, it's very creative as well. Pixar, Disney, Dreamworks, ILM, or some other company that does CGI should call this guy and offer him a job! He's definitely got the creative touch and could be successful in the industry...if he isn't in it already.

•   
    • debating what to put here

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    ^ Then who, in your opinion, is the greatest drummer?
    To be honest, and this is just MHO, there isn't one. There are too many incredible players out there for there to ever be a definitive "best".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slamming him. Neil is a very innovative, creative, and awesome player, who has contributed a great deal to his musical genre. The same could be said of Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Smith, Bill Bruford, Buddy Rich, Steve Gadd, Max Roach, Tony Williams, Jack Dejohnette, John Bonham, and many, many, others.

Playing an instrument just isn't a competition and there isn't a best, IMO. There are so many players that are absolutely awesome at what they do (or did). Sorry, just a little pet peeve of mine. It's like saying "Who is the best Disney Animator". I prefer to appreciate all of the fine artists out there for their individual merits and not get caught up on the "best". It limits ones appreciation of all the great drummers out there.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Circle of Ancients

^ That's a pretty good list.

I guess to quantify the "Best" you would have to break it down by Genre. And, for my tastes, and for the innovations he has made, Neil is the "Best". Of course, Neil would disagree with my assessment of his talents, that's just the kind of guy he is.

I'm sure you have heard the "Burning for Buddy" (Buddy Rich tribute) that Neil produced. If not, I strongly suggest you check it out.

I would also add Phil Collins to that list. His stuff in the Genesis days is made from the good stuff.