• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Bourne' breaks records, 'Underdog' flies to 3rd place

'Bourne' breaks box office records

Spy thriller heats up with best August opening

'The Bourne Ultimatum' brings in $70 million at the weekend box office.

By Pamela McClintock
    Variety
    August 5, 2007

Cracking box office history, Universal's "The Bourne Ultimatum" nabbed the best August opening on record and outperformed the debut of any James Bond pic, as well as the previous two installments in U's reimagined Jason Bourne spy franchise.

"Ultimatum" made $70 million from 3,660 locations, easily taking the weekend crown.

Coming in second was 20th Century Fox's holdover "The Simpsons Movie," which took in $26.5 million from 3,926 runs in its second frame. Animated comedy has made $128.5 in just 10 days. Pic continued to smash records overseas.

Barking happily at no. 3 was Disney's "Underdog," based on the classic 1960s cartoon series. Family pic made $12 million from 3,013 theaters in its opening.

Other than “Bourne,” holdovers dominated, pushing out other new entires. “I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry,” “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix,” “Hairspray,” “No Reservations” and “Transformers” took spots no. 3 through no. 8 on the weekend’s top 10 list.

Among newcomers, Paramount had trouble finding room on the road with goofball comedy "Hot Rod," which made $5 million from 2,607 locations in its debut. Lionsgate's tween live-action pic "Bratz," based on the doll line, made $4.3 million from 1,509 runs.

In the specialty market, Miramax hit the counter programming sweet spot with Jane Austen biopic "Becoming Jane," starring Anne Hathaway. Film made $1.1 million from 100 locations for a per screen average of $10,000.

Picturehouse's Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony starrer "El Cantante" danced its way to $3.2 million from 542 runs for a per screen average of $6,003.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Re: 'Bourne' breaks records, 'Underdog' flies to 3rd place

I wonder what's happening to Ratatouille...

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    I wonder what's happening to Ratatouille...
    According to Boxofficemojo.com

As of this weekend Ratatouille is in 11th and made 4 million for a total of 188 million domestic gross...

Saw the new Bourne movie Friday afternoon. We really enjoyed it....as we have the other two Bourne movies. It wasn't our favorite out of the 3, but it was still lots of fun.
    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.