Last edited by Pirate Wench; 04-26-2005 at 07:18 PM.

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Hello!....and wow... you started this thread in early Feb! Here it is the last week of March..

I live in NYC and actually rather like the World of Disney store since it feels much more like a little pocket of WDW to me than The Disney Store ever did.

I do agree with your post, though. You are right. There isn't any collectable art here and outside of some original World of Disney: NYC merchandise, not much outside of toys knick-knacks that seem more geared toward children. (However, I love the NYC martini glasses and cocktail shaker... but that's just me... )

The merchandise is more varied than it was when it was a Disney Store, but not by much. Adding Goofy's Candy Kitchen is a nice touch, but outside of that, the store looks very much the same.... not that it needed different theming. This was one classily designed Disney Store and I'm not bothered by it pretty much staying the same. Although, would it have killed them to vacuum the drape by the escalator from the first to second floor from years of dust build-up?

I like the addition of the Muppet balloon chandelier hanging from the ceiling by the staircase from the 2nd to 3rd floor, but again, that's a minor revamp of the store's original theming. I asked a CM about it and it came from the offices of the Jim Henson Company here in the city.

The third floor is very different than what was there before. Now you can have your daughter (sorry sons) take a class to learn how to be a princess. Sometimes they offer character meet and greets. I have a picture of myself with Stitch from when the store first opened in October.

The third floor also features computers with Disney vacation planning and brochures. You can book a trip right here, if you'd like to WDW, Disneyland, or a Disney Cruise. The third floor is also the media section offering books, music, and DVDs. The DVD selection is more comprehensive than what Disney Store offered, and it is nice to see a selection of theme park CDs available. Also, World of Disney will order any Disney Records release for you if it is not available on the floor.

Merchandise is more varied across the spectrum of the Walt Disney brand name, including theme park items (Monorail sets, WDW magnets come to mind), and it is good to see the Muppets have taken a prominent place in store displays.

I do like this store better than The Disney Store that it replaced. The merchandise is much more varied and more likely to pull adults in. I do wish that they offered more collectibe and high-end art merchandise, though. I would visit it more often if it did.

But, like I said earlier, it's a nice little pocket of WDW right here in New York, and whenever I need a little "fix" it's nice to know that it is there.

• Santa Barbara, CA

The world of disney is now nothing more than pandering to small kids.. just like someone on trial. Not a good example.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    The world of disney is now nothing more than pandering to small kids.. just like someone on trial. Not a good example.
    This is very interesting to hear. When the details of the sale were still up in the air we heard about the rumor of Disney keeping a few stores in tourist locations. Obviously, those rumors became fact as Disney kept the 5th Ave. store and the one in Burbank and changed them into WoD stores. My Cast Members and I really wanted our store-- The Mall of America to become a WoD store and remain with Disney. I have a feeling that as a flagship store we were considered, but probably because there is another Disney Store in the Twin Cities area, we weren't considered. Our store was improving even more and was one of the Spotlight (top) in the stores for months. The other flagships, Michigan Ave. and Forum Shops were also performing very well. I would have liked to see one of these stores be turned into a WoD store also. All of the flagships were in tourist locations and Disney didn't want to keep them all I guess.

In the end, we were cut. From reading the information from guest experiences, it doesn't seem like a big leap except for new merchandise and updated animation for the store. Although those are both things my store craves, we are still a strong team. I am proud of what we have continued to do as a store. Sadly, I would not have even pondered this right after the sale. In retrospect, I am glad that we aren't under Disney's complete control anymore. Yes, most of the guests don't notice any difference... but I am starting to. Some of them are good and some aren't, but overall it could be worse.

Last edited by Pirate Wench; 04-26-2005 at 06:59 PM.

• Man O Lantern

We went last September and it was okay....I'm not very knick-knacky, so I wasn't overly impressed, having been to the giganto WoD store in Downtown Disney so many times. I'm glad I went, but probably won't go again the next time I'm in NYC (which will hopefully be within the year.....have a trip in the works with some girlfriends! Yay!).

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    We went last September and it was okay....I'm not very knick-knacky, so I wasn't overly impressed, having been to the giganto WoD store in Downtown Disney so many times. I'm glad I went, but probably won't go again the next time I'm in NYC (which will hopefully be within the year.....have a trip in the works with some girlfriends! Yay!).
    Damn you travel ho' you I'm Green with envy

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom
    Damn you travel ho' you I'm Green with envy
    heehee....$99 on JetBlue, baby!!! I'm really excited!

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    heehee....$99 on JetBlue, baby!!! I'm really excited!
    Don't get too excited...It's a frequent slut program.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    Don't get too excited...It's a frequent slut program.
    Um. Right up my alley then? :devil:

• Banned User

I was worried that the Disney Store in Glendale, CA would close. Fortunatly, it never did, but was never converted to a WoD store either. This was the first Disney Store and I would have considered it as the flagship store. However, it is located in a not-so-great mall and isn't large enough to become a WoD store. It gets a lot of buisiness though. It was one of those that was remodeled and I can't say that I like it too much-I'm not crazy about it. There is a lot of junk in it so hopefully Childrens Place kicks in soon with a possible re-model and re-working of what is sold.

As a side note, did any of you hear that Childrens Place just opened the first Disney Store Outlet in some outlet in New York? Apparently, there is scheduled to be more openings throughout the year in California, Arizona, and a few other places.

(I thought I might as well get away from the slut stuff)

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey
    As a side note, did any of you hear that Childrens Place just opened the first Disney Store Outlet in some outlet in New York? Apparently, there is scheduled to be more openings throughout the year in California, Arizona, and a few other places.

(I thought I might as well get away from the slut stuff)
    Yes, there is another thread about that here: http://www.micechat.com/showthread.p...=disney+outlet