• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Disney, developer reportedly end talks - OC Register, 8/6/07

http://www.ocregister.com/news/disne...-council-talks

Talks between a developer and Disney apparently have broken off without a resolution to a dispute over a housing proposal in the Anaheim Resort area.

Disney officials announced late Monday that they failed to reach a settlement with SunCal, the developer that wants to build 1,500 homes across from Disney property. SunCal's representatives could not be reached for comment late Monday.

Two council members who support the housing plan and called for settlement talks said they had yet to hear that discussions had ended.

"That's just too bad that they did that," Councilwoman Lucille Kring said. "It's very sad. It should have been taken care of months ago."

Last week the council voted 3-2 to give SunCal and Disney until Aug. 21 to come up with a compromise on the issue.

Rob Doughty, a Disney spokesman, said the two parties started discussions in the spring. He declined to say why talks ended, citing a confidentiality agreement. Disney has launched ballot measures and sued over the plan.

At the Aug. 21 meeting, the council is expected to either repeal its previous decision to allow homes in the resort area or schedule an election on a referendum to overturn the zoning action.

"It's time for them to follow the legislative process and put it to a vote," said Todd Ament, spokesman for a Disney-led group, Save Our Anaheim Resort.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Disney, developer reportedly end talks - OC Register, 8/6/07

From Today's LA Times...

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...-pe-california

Disney officials released a statement late Monday saying that months of discussions had failed to resolve the dispute: "It is in everyone's best interest for the council to make a decision as soon as possible," the statement said.

Officials for SunCal, the developer, could not be reached for comment.

A spokesman for Save Our Anaheim Resort, a Disney-funded coalition of business and community leaders that organized the referendum drive -- collecting more than 14,000 signatures -- asked the council to immediately place the zoning issue on a ballot.

"The people didn't ask for a compromise," said Todd Ament, a co-chairman of the coalition. "They asked this issue to be given to the voters. If those actions aren't taken, we'll seek all remedies, including legal action, to get this on the ballot."

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

So what's next?

Well, SunCal has to make a decision, and that is, do they want to spend a lot of money (Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars) to try and get the voters of Anaheim to vote against the referendum, or do they cut their losses and give up on this project, and focus on another site.

Whatever they decide, they will let at least one councilmember know of their desire to fight or not.

And then the city council will just rescind the zoning change if SunCal doesn't want to fight, or place it on the ballot if SunCal says they want to go forward.

I seriously doubt that the three council members who have sided with SunCal in the past will vote to rescind if SunCal says they want to fight.

It seems to me the City Council members are doing every thing they can to stay detached from the issue that they created themselves.
    The Mur

Darkbeer, for those of us not really involved, or know too much about what's going on.. what does all this mean?

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kidatheart View Post
    Darkbeer, for those of us not really involved, or know too much about what's going on.. what does all this mean?
    It is just one more step towards either having the issue going on the ballot, or being cancelled, Post #3 talks about the next step...

Some more detail...

If SunCal wants to fight, then Disney will be donating Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars to try and persuade the voters of Anaheim to approve the referendum thru the SOAR alliance.

And the City of Anaheim residents will have full mailboxes with mailers from both sides, along with a lot of commercials on cable channels in the area (as that is the smart buy, focused just on the city of Anaheim).

But for folks who follow Disney, an election will force Disney to make some new comments about its plans for a third park and expansion of the DLR in general, to help persuade the city voters.

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    It seems to me the City Council members are doing every thing they can to stay detached from the issue that they created themselves.
    I remember one of the original points of contention was that a council member who voted in favor of SunCal owned a business (restraunt I believe) that would stand to benefit from the new development. I think is too bad that the city has now decided to remain out this mess that could have been easily avoided.

On a related note, I watched the protestors who camped out on the lawn of city hall, and dressed as Disney villans and helld signs...and I have to wonder how many of those protetors actually live in Anaheim. This sort of event tends to draw people from outside the community who have thier own interests rather than the interests of the community at heart.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."