• Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

DreamWorks nears $1 billion, a first #1 for the studio

DreamWorks nears $1 billion

A first No.1 for studio

By Pamela McClintock
    Variety
    August 9, 2007

It may have taken more than a decade, but Steven Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg and David Geffen's DreamWorks finally leads in market share and is weeks away from crossing the $1 billion mark at the domestic box office.

DreamWorks and DreamWorks Animation can't officially claim the crown, however, since they are no longer a single entity, with Paramount distributing both their pictures. Par owns DreamWorks, while DreamWorks Animation remains a standalone company.

But behind the scenes, there's plenty for Geffen, Spielberg and Katzenberg to celebrate as they enjoy the sort of success that often eluded them as they tried to build DreamWorks into a major studio.

This year, their films have grossed roughly $980 million at the domestic box office, making up the lion's share of Paramount's B.O. bounty and turning Par into the market share leader at $1.1 billion, or 18.8%.

DreamWorks is virtually assured of crossing the $1 billion mark with the Oct. 4 release of Ben Stiller laffer "The Heartbreak Kid," from Peter and Bobby Farrelly.

Warner Bros. is the next in line to crest the $1 billion mark, with its tally standing as of this week at $929.4 million. Behind Par, Warners is No. 2 in market share at 15.5%. During the decade that the troika of Katzenberg, Spielberg and Geffen ran DreamWorks, the highest the studio ever rose in terms of market share was No. 4.
    Full article available at:
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

Re: DreamWorks nears $1 billion, a first #1 for the studio

Nice to hear. I'm a Disney/Pixar fan all the way, but I'm in support of any company that keeps some kind of animation alive and well. I also think that a healthy Dreamworks will keep Pixar on their toes and push them to continue putting out first-class films.

• Banned User

Disney and Pixar is first class all the way. What I don't get is why they are making such big about these studios when Disney is pulling in just as much money? Did I miss something. I saw the DreamWorks news on television and they made it seem like DreamsWorks and Paramount were the only studios to ever make a billion dollars. Am I wrong, but it took one film for Disney to be catapulted to a billion dollar intake?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

More power to them. Katzenberg, though can be a jerk, knows where and what the talent is. Shame Eisner let him go because of his own ego.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Disney may not lead in Market Share, but we crossed the one billion mark a long time ago.
    -Bill

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    Disney and Pixar is first class all the way. What I don't get is why they are making such big about these studios when Disney is pulling in just as much money? Did I miss something. I saw the DreamWorks news on television and they made it seem like DreamsWorks and Paramount were the only studios to ever make a billion dollars. Am I wrong, but it took one film for Disney to be catapulted to a billion dollar intake?
    The news represents current standings, for this year thus far.

You gotta love Dreamworks and how they ripped off Disney's "the Wild".

• Banned User

What I don't get is why they are making such big about these studios when Disney is pulling in just as much money? Did I miss something.
    Yeah, you did - the fact that this isn't about Disney at all; it's about Dreamworks.

I saw the DreamWorks news on television and they made it seem like DreamsWorks and Paramount were the only studios to ever make a billion dollars.
    Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, but it's really beside the point. This is the first time in Dreamworks company history that Dreamworks is going to make $1 billion in a single year, and that's newsworthy.

Am I wrong, but it took one film for Disney to be catapulted to a billion dollar intake?
    Again, maybe it did, maybe it didn't, but it's beside the point, because this isn't about Disney, nor is it about Dreamworks in comparison to Disney, nor is it about Dreamworks being better than Disney, or first to the $1 billion dollar mark this year, or wealthier than Disney, or anything else in relation to Disney or any other studio. It's about Dreamworks achieving a record year for Dreamworks.

It's kinda like how when a parent joyfully announces "my child got his first tooth" and you're asking "Oh really? I don't get why you're making such a big deal of it, when other children grow teeth all the time. I must have missed something... I might be wrong, but didn't someone else's child get his first tooth earlier this year?"

Not everything in life is a competition. Do you think you could reach deep down into the remote reaches of your heart to be just a tiny bit happy for Dreamworks?