Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Santa Barbara, CA

Disney's bias toward girls? Are Boys "icky"?

With the parks being so intrinsically pastel and Princess focused, there does not seem to be as much for t'ween boys. Peter Pan and Buzz Lightyear were the only aggressive toys out there for young boys for quite a while. The princes were just ignored and not really developed as they were mostly cardboard in the films. I think they are aware of this and trying, Treasure planet was supposed to fix it. The revival of POTC and the Jedi school are great steps in that direction of creating some balance there, but what happens when that wears off?
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Minion

Re: Disney's bias toward girls? Are Boys "icky"?

"Pirates" seem to have taken that job.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Yah, I was just about to say Jack Sparrow has certainly made his stand. And Darth Vader and Darth Maul back up the Jedi Training Academy.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Former Loiterer

I think that's part of what makes the Pixar buyout pretty smart. As an earlier thread implied, Pixar's main bias is toward male leads, while Disney certainly has the corner on female leads. I think once you take into consideration the totality of the new Disney/Pixar body of work, there's a pretty decent balance of male and female in the films, and as we've seen recently, the films are what drive new attractions/merchandise in the parks. By buying Pixar's stable of strong male characters, Disney has begun entering a previously un-tapped market. I think you'll start seeing a much fiercer push into "guy" territory in the coming years.
    All I needed to know in life, I learned at MiceChat.
    And kindergarten.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I don't think JTA is going away any time soon. Star Wars has been around 30 years.

• UT99 Forever

I dont get your take?

With the excpetion of FantasyLand, I feel the entire park is geared towards boys.

Trains, Spaceships, Jungles, Tree Houses, etc,etc

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Don't you guys remember? That it was all started by a mouse.

A boy mouse.

tee hee!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

With the excpetion of FantasyLand, I feel the entire park is geared towards boys.Trains, Spaceships, Jungles, Tree Houses, etc,etc
    I think the orignal plan was for it to be geared towards FAMILIES.

As the father of daughters, I can tell from personal experiance that my girls love trains, spaceships and tree houses and jungles. To say that these are the exclusive domain of boys is incorrect.

A ride like Splash Mountain, or the Jungle Cruise, The Tiki Room, or even the Tea Cups appeal to all.

• Minion

>>I think that's part of what makes the Pixar buyout pretty smart. As an earlier thread implied, Pixar's main bias is toward male leads, while Disney certainly has the corner on female leads. I think once you take into consideration the totality of the new Disney/Pixar body of work, there's a pretty decent balance of male and female in the films<<

That a good observation. The Cars toys are selling to the boys, after all.

• Banned User

Agreed. Cars, PotC and Star Wars for the boys, Princesses and Fairies toward the girls.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    Agreed. Cars, PotC and Star Wars for the boys, Princesses and Fairies toward the girls.
    Whoa. Still stuck in the Betty Crocker post-war fifties.

I'd rather have Captain Jack or Obi-Wan as a role model for my son, than a whiny spoiled princess or stuck up fairie as a role model for my daughter.

What happened to Mulan and Pocahontas? Or Princess Leia, for that matter?

Why can't the characters for girls be as strong and assertive as the ones for the boys?

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    The revival of POTC and the Jedi school are great steps in that direction of creating some balance there, but what happens when that wears off?
    John Carter of Mars.

Just a hunch.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

ooooooh Princess Leia....

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    Whoa. Still stuck in the Betty Crocker post-war fifties.

I'd rather have Captain Jack or Obi-Wan as a role model for my son, than a whiny spoiled princess or stuck up fairie as a role model for my daughter.

What happened to Mulan and Pocahontas? Or Princess Leia, for that matter?

Why can't the characters for girls be as strong and assertive as the ones for the boys?

I kind of agree...I just hate that we always have to assign some sort of gender/gender quality (does that make sense?) to certain characters or films. Sure, folks have sort of always done it, but I feel it is much, much more prevalent now than it ever was.

I am a guy, and I grew up watching the classic fairy tale films (Snow, Cindy, Beauty, and so on) and there never was a debate or an issue about them being feminine or "girly". The other boys I knew and grew up with never really had issues with it either, as everyone grew up loving and watching those films...even the adults.

I sort of think it has more so come about since Disney Consumer Products started the whole Princess line and made specific characters and their films for either girls or boys. The characters have now become something assigned to gender, to cater to only little boys or little girls...instead of keeping them "open" to any gender and any age, and keeping the characters timeless.
    Oh well, when there's money to be made...And I think it has a huge influence on future public perception, in particular with the kids and tweens of today.
    Now, "Princesses" are exclusively for girls and things like "Mickey" or "Cars" are for boys. And if someone likes something outside of those confines, they get labeled 'gay' or 'tomboy' or god knows what.
    Why, why do we have to do that...to our kids and each other?

I think Walt and the artists who created those films intentions were to create stories and characters that EVERYONE could fall in love with, grow up with, and so on. Hell, the majority of those films were made by grown men!

It has just changed so much in the last 'who knows how many' years.
    Quite frankly, I don't like it. So what if a young boy or tween boy likes Cinderella, or if a tween girl just loves Cars?

As for Pixar, and I have read your other posts on this...yes, I am ready for them to have female characters lead an entire film. No, not secondary characters to complement or challenge the male leads, as so many use as excuses for the female leads thing. No doubt, the main characters have been predominately 'male', but I would like to see them branch away from that...and not always use the 'buddy' formula. (I'm sure the criticisms are going to hit me on this one). And much of Pixar's upcoming stuff seems to be focused on male leads once again, and Disney has two Princesses coming up.

And I don't necessarily like the "Pixar makes more 'masculine' films and Disney makes more 'feminine' films" argument. That feeds directly into the gender issue, and both studios should not focus their "brands" on something related to gender. Walt never had to do it, & as smart and strong as the leadership is right now, they shouldn't either. Make timeless stories, and both studios should balance their offerings on male and female lead characters.
    Last edited by tcsnwhite; 08-09-2007 at 09:37 PM.

• Santa Barbara, CA

As a provocateur I think the thread is off to a good start. I like the insight that Pixar is filling the boy gap while Disney is focused on girls. It's sad that they have to use Star Wars characters.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast