• Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Record breaking 'Ratatouille'

Record breaking 'Ratatouille'

Opening week is biggest ever bow for a toon in France

By David Hayhurst
    Variety
    August 10, 2007

PARIS -- With ticket sales nearing the two million mark in its first week in France, Disney's "Ratatouille" has broken box office records for an animated feature in Gaul.

Taking in nearly $16 million through 1,951,074 ticket sales on 721 prints, the average of 2,706 viewers per screen is the highest-ever bow for a cartoon.

"Finding Nemo," another Disney/Pixar collaboration, sold 2,056,621 tickets for a take of $12.1 million on 893 French screens in its first week November 2003, an average of 2,303 cinema-goers per print.

Critics and audiences alike have been captivated by the film’s attention to realism in depicting Paris. And certain other quintessentially Gallic qualities have also proved winners in the tale of a rat from the countryside and his dreams of becoming a master chef.

"It’s been a long time since any film celebrated, with so much kitsch energy, France: its cuisine, its finest features, and Paris, capital of taste," said the weekly "Telerama." Daily newspaper "Le Monde" was even more effusive in its praise, calling it "one of the greatest gastronomic films in the history of cinema ."
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Record breaking 'Ratatouille'

Daily newspaper "Le Monde" was even more effusive in its praise, calling it "one of the greatest gastronomic films in the history of cinema ."
    Indeed.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Rock Star Minion

Yeah, but French Wall Street analysts expected more, so it's a failure.
    (reference: some other site.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Pathetically Obsessed

^ shades of Jim Hill. Please join me in celebrating a wonderful picture and stop worrying about Wall Street and foreign exchanges!
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• Rock Star Minion

Anonymous Analyst: "But, zies feelm was, eh, supposed to bring ihn vingt million dol-lars, so zis Pixar, iss ne good pas purchase for Disnee."
    "Well. I don't know about you folks, but it seems that the French think Pixar was a bad investment.
    "Your thoughts? Besides that bomb Underdog that I won't bother mentioning because Pixar had nothing to do with it?"
    Last edited by sediment; 08-09-2007 at 06:18 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Directly directed

That's great news!

great news about Ratatouille.

People just need to stop worrying about what wall street thinks. The movie has supassed its cost and has yet to open in some of the major international markets till fall.

Then comes DVD sales.

Blog Entries

The best advice I could give Disney for doing real quality would be to quit worrying about wall street in both its films and theme parks. I love the story about how Walt got so upset in one of the investor meetings because of the penny penching they wanted him to do that he stood up told them to go to hell and stormed out leaving Roy to deal with them. I think it said that at that point he told Roy he wanted nothing to do with them ever again and that he could deal with them.

• Banned User

Pixar doesn't make movies for wall street they make movies for people to enjoy.

Thats why cars is making money for the company long after the movie bombed at the box office.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Pixar doesn't make movies for wall street they make movies for people to enjoy.

Thats why cars is making money for the company long after the movie bombed at the box office.
    How do you figure the movie bombed at the box office. It opened at 60 million and made 244 million. Here are the grosses for Pixar films.

Finding NemoBV$339,714,978

The IncrediblesBV$261,441,092,

Monsters, Inc.BV$255,873,250

Toy Story 2BV$245,852,179

CarsBV $244,082,982 Opening weekend - $60,119,5093

Toy StoryBV$191,796,233

RatatouilleBV$191,762,000

A Bug's LifeBV$162,798,565

Blog Entries

It didn't meet expectations but I'd hardly call it bombing. Any other studio would have loved to have bombed like that.

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    It didn't meet expectations but I'd hardly call it bombing. Any other studio would have loved to have bombed like that.
    What expectation - $300 million? It made well over 200 million. I think it exceeded their expectations. They know none of their films will probably ever top Finding Nemo, just as Disney will never top Lion King, but you make over 150 million on an animated feature you definitely made your expectation.

• One big touch screen.....

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Anonymous Analyst: "But, zies feelm was, eh, supposed to bring ihn vingt million dol-lars, so zis Pixar, iss ne good pas purchase for Disnee."
    "Well. I don't know about you folks, but it seems that the French think Pixar was a bad investment.
    "Your thoughts? Besides that bomb Underdog that I won't bother mentioning because Pixar had nothing to do with it?"

When will the deluded fool realise that Pixar is more Disney than Disney?

And Lasseter was worth the $7billion alone.

Blog Entries

What expectation - $300 million?
    I should clarify that to say Wall Streets expectations. They expect every movie to make more money than the one before it. I think Pixar and Disney have both been very happy with how Cars has produced.