Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Shablagoo!

Re: The Official Stardust thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    There's an illustrated version? do I want that one instead?
    It was originally published by DC comics as an illustrated novel. It was not a comicbook, but rather prose with pictures. Charles Vess is the artist and he is one of the best in the business. The text is the same in both versions. They recently released it in a collected hardcover. I would definitely consider getting that one. I of course have the original DC Comics version and the first Hardcover version. Another thing you may want to look for, but its very expensive, is the Fall of Stardust. Its a portfolio with art and a couple short stories set in the Stardust world. It is very hard to come by. Currently 2 are for sale on Amazon at $245 a piece.
    And yes I got a copy when it first came out. It was done to help with medical bills when Vess's wife was badly injured in a car accident.

Just found the illustrated version on Amazon. Its 26.39

http://www.amazon.com/Stardust-Neil-...7054103&sr=1-1

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Went to see the movie this afternoon and really loved it. I felt it was a rollicking good fairy tale and I agree about the comparison to Princess Bride. There were a few slow spots and the story was quite convoluted with everyone and his brother (no pun intended there ) after this star. I enjoyed the comedy moments and I loved Robert DeNiro in this. He is turning into quite the comedian. I also liked the end. A very good fairy tale happy ending.

I would rate it 8 1/2 out of 10.

PS. I also knew what the end would be and I've never read the book. It's pretty darn obvious. But that was OK as not everything has to be a surprise ending.

•   
    • Minion

Here are my thoughts on it...

The acting was somewhat spotty at points, and the plot pushed at points and contrived... HOWEVER... I think film is one of the best romantic fantasy films since Princess Bride, and it should not be missed... The film does attempt to have a lot of heart and wit - and it ways that is not marred by contemporary pop referances which would KILL this type of film... I would definately purchase this one once it comes out on video...

And I would incourage people to see it, it is worth 10 bucks to see this kind of film... Simply because this kind of film doesn't come around all that often. And it should have done better at the box office... I also think it is the kind of PG film I would be happy take my whole family to...

Oh, and I thought the film was totally miss-marketed as an heir to Lord of the Rings...
    Last edited by cellarhound; 08-13-2007 at 08:58 PM.
    Check out my other blog:

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

It is rated PG-13 for "fantasy violence and some risque humor", not PG. I thought parts of it were quite bloody and violent. I do not think I would take young children to see it. Depending on the child's make up I would think 9 or 10 on up.

I agree with above statement about pop culture references. SO GLAD there weren't any in this movie!

• Shablagoo!

I enjoyed it. I like the book better though. I'm going to reread it and then get back to you all about it.

• Shablagoo!

I just finished rereading the book. I am putting my thoughts in spoiler text so I can speak freely.

Spoiler

I think my biggest disappointment with the movie is how it avoids the cleverness of the book. This is apparant in the way Una frees herself from Ditchwater Sal. In the film Sal is killed freeing Una. In the book she was freed by the terms of the contract with Sal being met. There is no battle with the witches in the end.

I also prefer the book's ending. It is more tragic and more beautiful in a way.

Victoria Forrester is much more interesting in the book. In the movie she is a bit like one of those spoiled brats on "My Super Sweet Sixteen". In the book is is kind. She asks for the star as a way to hopefully get Tristran to give up, so that she can marry her true love. And when he has left and been gone for months, she is riddled with guilt. And how her story ends is much more satisfactory in the book than the film.

But let's talk about the movie.

I love the way it looks. There are several points when they are in the mountains that look just like Charles Vess's Art. I thought the acting was good. The effects were quite nice.

While Captain Shakespeare was nice, I like the book's Captain Alberic better. Its all about the tone of the book versus the film. The film wants to be a comedy, more like Princess Bride. The Book is an old fairy tale, like those before Lord of the Rings. So the film needed Shakespeare and the book needs Alberic. I also miss the small hairy man.

So those are my thoughts so far. They are a little mismashed and not in a great order, but this is not a term paper, so there. I may write more later. If you have read the book and seen the movie, I'd love to talk about it.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

We just saw it yesterday and loved it. At first my 11 year old did not want to see it because it looked too "girly." My 7 year old will go anywhere. After watching the movie, my older son admitted that it was a good movie. I've told him time after time to trust his mother!

One poster thought it was only worth while watching on DVD. I have to disagree. It is a movie you need to see on the big screen. The scenery is beautiful, the airship is outstanding and just listening to all the music and background sounds makes you part of the movie. As for the violence, it was a bit rough, but in actuality, you didn't see any blood or any one getting killed, that part was done off screen. But you should know your kid before taking them. My kids were fine with it. (Don't judge my parenting skills.)

I thought the acting was fine, loved Clair Danes and Michelle Pfiffer(sp?) and the rest of the cast. DeNiro was a bit over the top, but his scenes were when my kids laughed the most. My favorite scene was the sword fight at the end with Tristen and the dead Prince. Very clever and so well done. And the ending was very romantic. Go see it on the big screen and support this type of movie. Like one poster said, they don't make these types of movies very often and when they come around, we need to see them or they will stop making them.

Out of 10 stars I would give it an 8.

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    I just finished rereading the book.

So those are my thoughts so far. They are a little mismashed and not in a great order, but this is not a term paper, so there. I may write more later. If you have read the book and seen the movie, I'd love to talk about it.
    Goodness and I thought I was a fast reader. I'll let you know what I think as soon as Amazon ships my book!

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I'd really like to go see this movie. I completely fell in love with the book, I thought it was clever and sweet and not too saccharine. Hopefully the movie can do it justice.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Wendygirl View Post
    It is rated PG-13 for "fantasy violence and some risque humor", not PG. I thought parts of it were quite bloody and violent. I do not think I would take young children to see it. Depending on the child's make up I would think 9 or 10 on up.

I agree with above statement about pop culture references. SO GLAD there weren't any in this movie!
    I wouldn't call it "risque" as most of this humor is designed to go over the heads of kids... It isn't really suggestive in any real sense... But there is an off chance that you may get asked uncomfortable questions by an extremely observant kid who has suspicions, which is why it's PG... I think most parents know how to field such questions...

There are murders with victems turning into ghosts (comedic type - not scary) - sort of dark humor... There is also suggestions of animal sacrifice, but you don't actually see animals harmed and the perpitrators are evil - and the effect is really to be gross out humor... But you know, kids see more scarier more invasive violence on TV these days... Again I think the violence is designed to go over most little kids heads...

Stardust is mostly harmless... I think there was an effort to make this a family film... And I would be comfortable bringing my family to see this film... I don't see it as that morally challenging in either a modern or post-modern context. Particularly with parental supervision. And most parents should keep tabs on what their kids are exposed to anyway independant of the rating... Which is why the film is rated PG-13
    Last edited by cellarhound; 08-15-2007 at 08:49 AM.
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Couldn't help compare the trio of witches in this movie
    with the trio in "Hocus Pocus" ~ and the trio in Stardust, fell
    WAY short.
    Actually I thought this trio was more realistic - it is ment to be dark humor about beauty not campy haggery... Bette Mitler couldn't pull this role off on her BEST day...

Worth seeing on dvd, but not in the
    theater. I was really hoping for some great cinematography in
    this movie ~ to make it worthy of the big screen. But it just
    ain't got it.
    Uh, the effects of this film are certainly worthy of being on the big screen... I would disagree with you there...

I will say though, this may be a gem of a DVD people will come back to as it isn't that big of a box office hit... I think this film should have a long tail like Princess Bride - at least I hope it does...
    Check out my other blog:

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I think the risque humor comes from when
    Spoiler
    The young man with the goat gets turned into a woman and starts to have quite the time enjoying his new "looks," as well as giving Danes' character some rather lusty looks

But still nothing to worry about, IMO.

• Shablagoo!

I have a few more thoughts I wanted to share. Spoilers on!

Spoiler

About the violence. Warning...If you thought the film was bloody and violent, beware the book. The witches are old school witches. The whole magic ring bit, doesn't happen. The witch uses the unicorn to communicate. There are big pools of blood. And that is not the only example.

As for risque, beware the book. Read it yourself before reading it to the kids. They linger a bit on Tristran's conception. Its not graphic, but it is there.

another thing I miss from the book is the magic beings. "Huh?" you ask, "There was lots of magic beings in the movie." And there was. However, there were fairys, pixies, and elves. Tristran's mother is a magical being, not a just a princess, but a fairy princess with pointed ears.

I am also miss the 9 year market.

OK so it may seem I miss a lot and really dislike the movie. I do enjoy it. I just wish it was a little less silly and that it allowed us to find things out more organically, rather than having the characters tell us things, like that Una is a Princess and Yvanne loves Tristran. The love was shown in the book, not told. We find out about how there is a missing princess of Stormhold throughout the book and only at the end discover it is Una.

One person commented on the fight with Septimus's corpse. I have to agree, that was really clever. I also liked the way the ghosts were portrayed with the injuries from their deaths. These were both departures from the book (heck the whole final battle in the witches place does not happen in the book).

One last thing. I talked about this in the spoiler text, but I wanted to say it to anyone who does not want to read them. If you get the book, read it yourself, before reading it to your kids. The book is more violent and more risque. Just thought you should know.

• Directly directed

I just finished the book. I really really liked it but I enjoyed the movie more. I didn't like Septimus's character in the book. He was much better in the movie. Now that I've finished reading I think I shall have to go and see the movie again.

• white and nerdy

I really liked the movie, it's been out a while and the theater was full...

One of the best Love Stories I've seen in a long while.

AND this means we are one step closer to making a movie of "Good Omen"
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12