Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Making my own Mousekteers

Re: The Golden Compass - The Official Thread

Well, I wasn't going to tell the ending because I didn't want to spoil it for anyone... but since someone else did now I can talk about it. Roger dying is the catalyst that starts the rest of the series. Up until that point Lyra is clueless about what is really going on and she blindly goes about doing what she thinks is right. I've always felt that is the point when the books really begin. Golden Compass is basicly a really big prologue to the other two books.
    They completely cut out all the set up for Subtle and Amber. They don't even forshadow what happens to Roger. It was really frustrating because up until that point they were doing a pretty good job of translating the film. I'm picky to the point of perfectionism when it comes to books I like being made into movies but I was content until the ending.

• Just this guy......

I saw the movie this past weekend. Let me start by saying that I have read the books and over all they did an OK job but there is a lot taken out to bring the move in under 2 hours. I personally have mixed feelings about what they took out, left in and those parts that they changed. Over all it was a reasonably good screen play, however the ending was the worst place they could have ended. I think that it's going to frustrate people to the point that they are going to tell their friends not to see this film.

While the ending of the first book is only so-so, the movie ending is even a drop below that. My only hope is that the movie ending might get people to read the book.

Bottom line, read the book and wait for the movie to come out on DVD to see it.

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post

Bottom line, read the book and wait for the movie to come out on DVD to see it.
    Thank you for that. I've read the book many times, and I'll wait for it to come to DVD.

• white and nerdy

This is what's wrong from it from my perspective (I've not read the books)
    • There is no character building. Characters are thrust at you with all the grace of a virgin at a brothel and the end result isn't believable or pretty. I didn't care about any of the characters (except the bear, but that's just because I like bears).
    • It speeds through seemingly important parts while it lingers in strangely unimportant parts. While the acting was very good, the unbalanced pacing made it boring.
    • The whole thing seems like a... Me-also. Lots of movies are profiting off of the adolescent fantasy genre-these people come along and say "Me-also!" While I haven't read the books, my wife and brother are (who are both smarter than the average bear) and, while they like it quite a lot, they both agree that it's no Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, or Chronicles of Narnia... Not that they have to be, but with so many quality choices in the genre, why settle for something else?
    • There was lots of wasted potential. That's what I have against it the most. So many good concepts left hanging there. If there is a sequel (there has to be, doesn't there?) I may watch it just to see if they use what they have, but I won't want to.
    • A film has to stand on it's own as a good piece. No matter how good a book is, or how good the potential sequels will be, there is no excuse for not making an excellent movie. The Golden Compass is riding on the coat tales of the book, and it can't keep up.
    The acting was pretty good, and some of the effects were alright (and some were confusingly bad).

All in all I'd give it a 4/10
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Goofy

On sunday I went to see this movie and it was quite good but there are some parts that did dragged for quite a while however I find the story very enjoyable. I can't wait for the second one. Is this movie going to be a trilogy in a sort of way?

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by rex22 View Post
    On sunday I went to see this movie and it was quite good but there are some parts that did dragged for quite a while however I find the story very enjoyable. I can't wait for the second one. Is this movie going to be a trilogy in a sort of way?
    There are three books so potentially, yes.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    Seriously? That totally sucks. So what sets it up for the subtle knife? So is it worth seeing?

In my opinion it is worth it. You will enjoy the movie and the story that goes with it.

• Goofy

wow some religous groups are never happy.

• Directly directed

In my opinion it is worth it. You will enjoy the movie and the story that goes with it.
    I've read the books though. I know what the story line is. If they've completely changed the ending I'm not sure I'm interested.

• Goofy

oh i see. I have yet to read the books myself. so Im going to check out the book now and read it very carefully.

They didn't change the ending. They just left it off.

Whether or not they will make the second and third book is a subject of some interest, Rex. The second and third books are so wildly controversial that the fact that they chickened out on all of the controversy in the first one does not bode well for them even making the other two. Not to mention the fact that it flopped the first weekend at the box office.

• Iron-Clad Allie

The movie is intended to have a sequel - a trilogy I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post

Whether or not they will make the second and third book is a subject of some interest, Rex. The second and third books are so wildly controversial that the fact that they chickened out on all of the controversy in the first one does not bode well for them even making the other two. Not to mention the fact that it flopped the first weekend at the box office.
    Nevertheless, I'm anxious to see Nicole Kidman as a sexy villianess. Not sure that I'll like the film myseif. The trailer certainly made it look action packed and exciting. I'll have to see the film to judge for myself if the storyline is cohesive and interesting - regardless of how it compares to the book. If it drags out and is cumbersome to follow, this may account for it's poor showing over the first weekend. Just the same, I can't wait to see it - I wants to see me that polar bear!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-12-2007 at 11:40 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Well, there is a scene where the bear is running accross the snow with Lyra on his back that looks just like a Coca Cola commercial. Other than that I really liked the bears. It's hard for me to judge the movie's pace on it's own merits because the intire time I was watching it I was comparing what they were leaving out vs. what they put it. It makes it go by faster. I'm thinking of seeing it again just to get a better feel for it.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post

But controversy sells though which is a good thing from a business point of view. you try to milk it as much as you can. I love controversial stuff its so entertaining.
    I mean the ending was so obvious for a sequel and I hope they do make the sequel so the story can continue and finish once and for all. Sure you start out in rough financial way but you may never know how it does with the sequel.

But controversy sells though which is a good thing from a business point of view. you try to milk it as much as you can. I love controversial stuff its so entertaining.
    I mean the ending was so obvious for a sequel and I hope they do make the sequel so the story can continue and finish once and for all. Sure you start out in rough financial way but you may never know how it does with the sequel.

If they do the movies the way their supposed too I think they'd do a lot better in the box office. Controversy sells but the creators were afraid to cross the line from controversy to people walking picket lines and other such craziness. However, these were best selling books and I think that the people that loved the books would be much more willing to see the movie again and drag their friends to see it if it embraced the controversy and just told the story. Also, I'm pretty sure most people will have heart attacks when they see how this story actually ends... hehehehe. Since they didn't forshadow it AT ALL! Which was kind of crazy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast