•   
    • Minion

Disney Cell Phones

I am going to avoid a somewhat snarky remark here about marketing Cell Phones to kids...

BUT... I don't think this is extremely wise move... But hey, you got your dream desktop... you dream cell phone...

Now it may be a good idea, but I am very sceptical...
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

Re: Disney Cell Phones

Geez yet another business venture that fades the Disney brand name... I say they stick with themeparks and movies

• Mousketeer

A short Disney "they-shoulda-stuck-to" history:

1938 -- Animated Features? they shoulda stuck to cartoons
    1950 -- Treasure Island? they shoulda stuck to cartoons and amimated features
    1954 -- TV? they shoulda stuck to cartoons, animated movies, and live action movies.
    1955 -- Theme parks? they shoulda stuck to cartoons, animated features, live action movies, and tv.

I could go on and on, but it isn't the product, it is the execution. if the product is well thought out and well executed then it's a great business for Disney. It's only bad if they pull another "Disney Dream Machine" out and do a brand slap.

•   
    • Minion

I just have images of all these kids crank calling China popping into my head everytime I see this thread now...
    Check out my other blog:

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Yendorb
    I could go on and on, but it isn't the product, it is the execution. if the product is well thought out and well executed then it's a great business for Disney. It's only bad if they pull another "Disney Dream Machine" out and do a brand slap.
    I agree! So hopefully the can execute this... just like I am hoping for Chicken Little. <fingers are crossed> And if not, maybe they will bring back 2D?

Quote Originally Posted by Yendorb
    A short Disney "they-shoulda-stuck-to" history:

1938 -- Animated Features? they shoulda stuck to cartoons
    1950 -- Treasure Island? they shoulda stuck to cartoons and amimated features
    1954 -- TV? they shoulda stuck to cartoons, animated movies, and live action movies.
    1955 -- Theme parks? they shoulda stuck to cartoons, animated features, live action movies, and tv.

The difference is that in all the innovations listed above were by Walt, who's creative insticts were much more trustworthy than anyone out there today. Here's another list...

1992 - Disneyland Paris
    1998 - Infoseek/Go.com
    2002 - Second gate for Paris
    2003 - ABC Family

None of these ideas failed because of execution (in fact Disneyland Paris was executed beautifully). These ideas failed financially because the basic idea was flawed. I think "2005 - Disney Mobile" will be added to this list in the near future.

• Minion

All of those breakthroughs mentioned were creative/content/storytelling, not hardware products and infrastructure - - worlds of difference!

• Mousketeer

I would have to disagree, Paris had a shaky start, but it is now coming into its own. but Go.com, paris 2nd gate and abc family were all poorly executed. with both Go and ABC, Disney just bought a company and slapped the brand on top of it. they didn't add anything to the service that existed. When Walt opened Disneyland, many of the rides were just basically carnival rides that he themed and gave a story and meaning to.

From what I know of the paris 2nd gate, it makes DCA look good. so again, poor execution.

Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Seas are both great examples of great execution during the past 20 years.

Of course, it's a phone, and the phone is no Disney Seas.....

•   
    • Minion

I was reading a recent Motley Fool article the other day on the subject of this cell phone deal...

And they had an interesting point here... The cell phone issue is not really a HARD WARE issue here... What is being sold is a Financial Service. Like a credit card...

I think that is a resonable question here... Should Disney be in the business of selling Financial Services... Like the Credit Card, Cell Phone plans... What is next? Life Insurance, Home Loans, Bank Accounts?

Now I ask you... Is this really a product that "tells a story?" NO! Hell no... There is no way this product is congruant with the Mission Statement of the Walt Disney Company...
    Check out my other blog:

• Iron-Clad Allie

No past Disney innovation has required the use of finantial advisors the way that child cell phones would. One can only immagine the astronomical expense of non-monitored long distance calls that scores of kids would incur - not to mention inappropriate 900 calls. Due to cellular computer links, child endangerment would also be an issue. These phones would be a near card blanch license for kids to avoid parental supervision.

A growing number Adults are experiencing serious credit related problems these days - why let it roll over onto the kids. Marketing cell phones to children - anyone that's in favor of this, I'm afraid I will have to call you on it.