• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

So my work is having a big conference this weekend...

...and we're auctioning off some autographed movie posters and CDs and stuff to raise money for our programs (we're a non-profit organization that helps kids/individuals with disabilities). Two of the posters we're auctioning off are....

-a Grease poster signed by John Travolta
    -a Cars poster signed by Paul Newman (it's really cool!)

I had to find frames for them (which is hard because they're BIG theatre posters). I found some at Michael's for $60, which I feel is a good price (you used to have them custom made). Anyhow, our director of programs doesn't think we'd get $60 for the Cars poster. What? I told her I know a lot of Disney people who would pay that or even more for it. So now she's talking about auctioning it off out of the frame.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Re: So my work is having a big conference this weekend...

I would think you'd want to frame it, just so you can show it better. Nobody wants to bid on something they can't see, and nobody wants to bid on something that everyone has been touching (and possibly damaging). I think that's a great price for a frame that large. A custom frame would cost over $200.
    A signature should go here.

Well she's talking about keeping it in the frame for the auction but telling bidders it doesn't come with the frame, then use the frame for whatever posters we get for next year's conference.

I personally think it'll go for more if the frame is included but.... whatever. Not my decision.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I agree. Plus you want to show that it is worth more, just by the way you display it. You can't say "frame not included" on it, that's silly!

Could you get the frames donated maybe? Then it wouldn't be an issue of spending the money.
    A signature should go here.

• Happy Memories

Not including the frame is a really tacky move. I'd fight that all the way if i were you. $60 is not bad for that size frame (I recently framed several such film posters myself), and it adds value to the piece.

That's what I tried to explain, I even tried telling her a custom frame that size would run 3 times that, but she wouldn't hear it. I might go over her head to the Executive Director (my boss... and hers) and see what happens.

Maybe if it goes for more than $60 she'll keep it in the frame? I don't get how some people think sometimes.

• Lonestar Louisianian

Sometimes people can't see outside the box. Be it "tunnel-vision" or "clouded-vision" they just can't seem to respond to rationalization or sound judgement.
    You've done all you could to make the case and it was ignored. If I were you I would make sure that you have it in email or writing somewhere that you recommended the idea and it was shot down. This way you cannot be the scapegoat if things go awry.