Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: 'High School Musical 2' huge hit: 17.2 million viewers tune in to Disney telecast

Does this figure include all of the families who recorded the movie to watch later?

Watching HSM2 once was enough for me. But I know my daughters will be watching it over and over again. The curse of TIVO!

• Disney Memory Maker

Re: 'High School Musical 2' huge hit: 17.2 million viewers tune in to Disney telecast

Quote Originally Posted by disneyki View Post
    Does this figure include all of the families who recorded the movie to watch later?

Watching HSM2 once was enough for me. But I know my daughters will be watching it over and over again. The curse of TIVO!
    I don't believe so. Tivo-ing, DVR-ing, iTunes-ing, etc are usually seperate. But in this case I don't think it will make a big difference. The Disney Channel will be airing this more times in the coming days and weeks that DVR-ing it is just not necessary.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

17.2 million viewers?!?

WOW. That's much higher than anyone probably expected. I was guessing somewhere between 10-12 million, but not 17 million. Congratulations to everyone involved with the movie! There are many happy people at Disney this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    I don't believe so. Tivo-ing, DVR-ing, iTunes-ing, etc are usually seperate. But in this case I don't think it will make a big difference. The Disney Channel will be airing this more times in the coming days and weeks that DVR-ing it is just not necessary.
    The number, if calculated by Nielsen, should include all TiVo and DVR recordings that were watched before 2am the same night. They call it watching it time shifted. They just started doing that this last season. iTunes is still not included.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    Well maybe, now Disney will drop all the 'tween programming and put Vault Disney, and Ink and Paint Club back on the air.
    Best unintentionally funny post of the week!
    Had the numbers come in at 2.17 million there might be a couple of guys in the Sales department that might have pushed the switch in the panic.
    Their research, numbers and programming success since dropping all of the past offerings (which have made for great and/or niche home entertainment product) would suggest that they've seen the future and are embracing it.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

"High School Musical 2" : OMG! It's a cable ratings record

By Cynthia Littleton
    Variety
    August 18, 2007

Humongous. Gi-normous. Cable record-setting. The Friday preem of Disney Channel's "High School Musical 2" brought in an astounding 17.24 million viewers (17,240,884 to be exact) in its Friday 8-10:05 p.m. ET/PT preem. Take a bow, Disney Channel entertainment prexy Gary Marsh (pictured below), Rich Ross and the rest of the exec team that backed the notion of a kid-friendly tuner last year when most of us were going, huh?For the kids of today -- singing and dancing, Mickey and Judy style? Just goes to prove the industry cliche about zigging when others are zagging....and finding talent, good-looking comers a la Zac Efron to showcase.

"HSM2" tuner now ranks as the most-watched TV movie ever with kids 6-11, drawing 6.1 million viewers in that demo, and the most-watched ever with tweeners 9-14, drawing 5.9 million viewers in that demo, according to Disney Channel. In total households, pic drew a massive 9.4 million cable homes, putting the telecast behind only a handful of sports and news telecasts in cable history in total households deliver. The high total viewer tally also indicates that pic was a family viewing event in most of those 9.4 million households. And as Disney Channel's hard-working PR maven Patti McTeague observed this a.m., who knows how many were really watching given all the viewing parties set around "HSM2" last night.
    Disney Channel followed "HSM2" with a sneak peek of the upcoming animated series

"Phineas and Ferb," which held onto a healthy 10.8 million viewers from its windfall lead-in. And at 10:20 p.m., a fresh seg of Disney Channel hit "Hannah Montana" was socko enough to rank as Disney Channel's second most-watched telecast ever, with an average of 10.7 million viewers. "Hannah" also set all kinds of series records for Disney Channel and the basic cable biz in general, including most-watched seg with kids 6-11 (4.1 million), and most-watched seg with the 9-14 crowd (4.2 million).
    http://weblogs.variety.com/on_the_ai...chool-m-2.html

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ness View Post
    The number, if calculated by Nielsen, should include all TiVo and DVR recordings that were watched before 2am the same night. They call it watching it time shifted. They just started doing that this last season. iTunes is still not included.
    Yes, but I don't believe they include those in the overnight ratings. Usually the full DVR/TIVO numbers are known a few days later. I could be wrong though.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    Yes, but I don't believe they include those in the overnight ratings. Usually the full DVR/TIVO numbers are known a few days later. I could be wrong though.
    True. They've never exactly made clear what actually goes into a Nielsen rating. Nielsen gives information to the networks that the public will never see. Unless one of the networks explicitly states what goes into a rating (which they don't), then we can't really be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ness View Post
    Man. Just man.

The Variety article also mentions that the episode of Hannah Montana that followed set 11 series records for the Disney Channel.
    Don't forget to give props to the Jonas Brothers who appeared in the episode. FYI: They have the #1 selling song on iTunes right now. They knew what they were doing.

• Disney Memory Maker

A few more interesting tidbits:
    • Excluding sports and the Olympics, Disney Channel scored the largest audience on any night during the summer since NBC on Sept. 5, 1997
    • TDC tripled the audience of its nearest competitor that night (CBS)

Quote Originally Posted by shadylanestudio View Post
    I wonder if they'll be able to nail down the dollars of all those talented for a HSM3? I think their property values just went up majorily - especially Zak and Ashley, those two kids are simply brilliant!
    Here's the links for the hold-outs and it ain't Ashley!

http://omg.yahoo.com/high-school-mus...uble/news/1888

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

^They'll all get raises, and the leads will probably production deals too.

More on this from Entertainment Weekly:

You think you'll do the another HSM?
    I am definitely interested. It's too early to really say what's going to happen and whether or not everybody is going to sign back on or what. I would love to continue this journey. It's been incredible, I have made the most wonderful friends, I've gotten so much exposure. It's opened the door for me to be able to fulfill some of my own goals and aspirations with empowering women and girls. If being a part of this project gives me that visibility, then sign me up!
    -Monique Coleman

As far as HSM 3 goes, are you definitely going to sign on?
    Right now we're in the negotiation process. I would love to be able to see a script. I think all in all it would be really nice to have some closure to this whole HSM phenomenon.
    -Corbin Bleu

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20052967,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    ^They'll all get raises, and the leads will probably production deals too.
    They'll get it done. At this point Disney would be crazy not to move this movie from the little screen to the Big. HSM is a gold mine.

• LA ANGELS?!no!LA DODGERS!

nah i think they'll come out with a college musical,lol they're going to college aren't they?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12