Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'High School Musical 2' huge hit: 17.2 million viewers tune in to Disney telecast

'High School Musical 2' huge hit

17.2 million viewers tune in to Disney telecast

By Cynthia Littleton
    Variety
    August 18, 2007

Execs at the Disney Channel knew it would be huge -- but not quite this massive.

The Friday preem of Disney Channel's "High School Musical 2" brought in an astounding 17.24 million viewers, making it the most-watched cable telecast ever, including sports telecasts, Disney Channel said Saturday.

"HSM2" tuner now ranks as the most-watched TV movie ever with kids 6-11, drawing 6.1 million viewers in that demo, and the most-watched ever with tweeners 9-14, drawing 5.9 million viewers in that demo, according to Disney Channel.

In total households, pic drew a massive 9.4 million cable homes, putting the telecast behind only a handful of sports and news telecasts in cable history in total households deliver. The high total viewer tally also indicates that pic was a family viewing event in most of those 9.4 million households.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

• Hola

Re: 'High School Musical 2' huge hit: 17.2 million viewers tune in to Disney telecast

Wow

I Didnt Really Like The Movie That Much...

Re: 'High School Musical 2' huge hit: 17.2 million viewers tune in to Disney telecast

Awesome! and wholesome.

• LA ANGELS?!no!LA DODGERS!

and i was one of those 17.3 million!

• Banned User

They're playing their cards just right.
    HSM3 will be the highest grossing movie for the year when it hits theaters - hands down.

Man. Just man.

The Variety article also mentions that the episode of Hannah Montana that followed set 11 series records for the Disney Channel.

• Hola

Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    HSM3 will be the highest grossing movie for the year when it hits theaters - hands down.
    I Know I Wonder If They Will Make a HSM4...

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    I don't know about number one for the year, but it would definitely be one gargantuan pic. The thing about that 17.2 million is that those are individual people. Making the very bad assumption that it was all kids, that alone would total over $112 million. Then when you account in the fact that many adults were watching and repeat viewings.... it would just be huge. Disney really has to fast track it and make it for 2008 or 2009 if they want to assure its success. But I mean, I don't even think Disney could have thought it would be that big.
    Last edited by TheDisneyInquisitor; 08-18-2007 at 02:28 PM.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by fluffdog2 View Post
    I Know I Wonder If They Will Make a HSM4...
    I wonder if they'll be able to nail down the dollars of all those talented for a HSM3? I think their property values just went up majorily - especially Zak and Ashley, those two kids are simply brilliant!
    Last edited by shadylanestudio; 08-23-2007 at 06:58 AM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

As I'd said on a prior thread on this subject, the third film could be done with a relatively-modest budget and make all it's money back (production and distribution/promotion) 1st weekend. Not counting ancillary merchandising, corporate and promotional partners, etc. it could be a platinum gold-mine without breaking a sweat.

With a January start for production on an October release, the clock is ticking on locking down all parties. The stakes will be higher now with at least two different studios pushing for start dates on new films starring Zac Efron alone.

Another great push for the 'HSM' franchise could come from another studio. New Line will be promoting the new song, 'Ladies Choice' from 'Hairspray' for a Best Original Song nomination for the Academy Awards. Efron could end up performing the song on the Oscar telecast.
    Disney wins by association without even trying.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'High School' attendance big for Disney

By Nellie Andreeva
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Aug 19, 2007

"High School Musical"

Disney Channel's highly anticipated "High School Musical 2" made history Friday night when 17.2 million viewers tuned in to watch the premiere of the sequel to the hit 2006 film, making the debut the most-watched basic cable telecast of all time.

Additionally, Disney Channel's original movie ranked as the most-watched TV telecast ever in kids 6-11 and the most-watched entertainment telecast ever in tweens 9-14.

"HSM 2" also dwarfed the broadcast competition to become the most-watched Friday telecast in more than five years.

"HSM 2" lifted the special 15-minute preview of upcoming Disney Channel original series "Phineas and Ferb" as well as hit series "Hannah Montana," which drew the largest numbers for a series telecast on basic cable ever in total viewers, kids 6-11 and tweens 9-14.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...896046f6ee8935

The Variety article also mentions that the episode of Hannah Montana that followed set 11 series records for the Disney Channel.
    Well maybe, now Disney will drop all the 'tween programming and put Vault Disney, and Ink and Paint Club back on the air.

• ayala high colorguard!

i loved that movie very much and was happy with the outcome =]

"your like a meteor that light my sky and made everything clear and when you were gone, my world faded to black"

• The Darkness to Light

Hmm, I guess we fit in the 9+ Million households that watched it. I wonder if the number of viewers is actuall higher, since I know several families were holding sleep overs for their daughters and their onslaught of friends.

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    Well maybe, now Disney will drop all the 'tween programming and put Vault Disney, and Ink and Paint Club back on the air.
    Not likely. But, god, I wish they would. For now, I will have to watch my Disneyland USA DVD from the Disney Treasures Collection.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Circle of Ancients

Those are some insane numbers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast