Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• insufferable know-it-all

Question You're the CEO: 10 things you would change about Disney's business

I hear lots of suggestions in all the different forums about major business changes people think Disney should make. So okay, you're the CEO... list 10 changes you would make to improve Disney's business (Yes, please keep an eye to the fact that your changes need to contribute to either the short or long term bottom line)

So, what'll it be, kids?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Banned User

Re: You're the CEO: 10 things you would change about Disney's business

First, fire Jay Rasulo and split the theme park and hotel (resort) divisions.

Second, one admission price at Disneyland/California Adventure, Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea, Disneyland Paris/Walt Disney Studios Paris. Discounts at DL for California residents. Walt Disney World remains the same, though.

Three, higher pay for all CMs.

Four, a freeze on ticket prices and tie it quadrennially to the cost of living.

Five through ten, I'll get back to you on.

• Minion

1) Rebrand the tween and teen material as ABC Family and give the Walt Disney brand back to Walt Disney material. The market is confused with sassy/sexy/consumerist material defined as "Disney".

2) Enthusiastically remarket and reintroduce the Walt Disney era film and television library to all ages, to ensure that the "special feeling" consumers have for Disney is perpetuated by the timeless material. Do not refer to Walt era material as classic, vault, archive or any other term to designate it as dusty and old. Let it stand as timeless.

3) Fully restore (but not reinvent or over-enhance) all film and video assets from all eras, especially all films of all lengths made by Walt Disney and make these available to the general public via cable, DVD and download. There are programs slipping through the cracks with neglect as others are being ruined by over-enhancement.

4) Restore the original Disneyland as a permaent homage to Walt Disney and his studio artists while expanding DCA with new material.

5) Reinvest in WDW maintenence and enhancement. Restructure resort amenities availibility so that a week at WDW isn't like a scheduled prison term. Guests should be at leisure to do what they want WHEN they want, like Vegas.

6) After sending the tween programs to ABC Family, rededicate The Disney Channel and The Wonderful World of Disney with classic Disney programs from all eras.

7) Sell off the adult film assets (Touchstone, Miramax, etc.) that can't be rebranded to Disney (keeping Roger Rabbit, Nightmare, etc. as Disney films) and purchase classic family film assets from the other studios (Wizard of Oz, Sound of Music, etc.), which can be better leveraged alongside the Disney library. Or trade ESPN to Time-Warner in exchange for all of their family film assets (Oz, Wonka, Hanna-Barbera, Cartoon Network, etc.).

8) Purchase the Bourne Music Publishing Company so the rights to all classic Disney music will be owned in-house.

9) Institute a companywide mandate to secure all legal issues on all classic film and TV materials in all media so legal laziness does not create an excuse for supression of intellectual materials or in-house censorship. Buy out parnerships on properties (like Amblin on Roger Rabbit or Bruckheimer on Pirates) so that all assets can be used freely. Buy Zorro Inc. - buy out the rights to Mary Poppins.

10) Break-up Disney.go.com into digestible dedicated websites aimed at specific demographics and brands and markets instead of a confusing catch-all crib activity center for all-purpose advertising. Gear sites toward lush creative material, characters and content, not skimpy ads. Make the sites usable so they don't crash your system. Make all film and music assets downloadable.

11) Create a "creative strategic plannng group" headed by John Lasseter/Pixar to oversee all Disney/Pixar branded characters, properties, art, design, management - - to infuse topmost creative quality across all units. And ensure characters maintain their integrity visually and thematically (no play Princess cash registers with credit card swiper).

12) Weed out the remaining Eisnerists in middle management across the company that don't show respect to artists, Walt Disney, the classic assets or respectful human behavior. Let the marketers and MBAs support selling the ware of creatives rather than supplanting them with their own short-term initiatives and agendas.

13) Think long term and quality and timeless instead of short term trendy and lifestyle. Think content, not product. Think theme and meaning, not ROI. It's the content and quality, not the branding and marketing that counts

14) Release "Song of the South" already. It is an extremely valuable property.

15) Do not over-expand the theme park empire or overmarket franchises for short-term gain it kills the brand and kills the franchises. Keep it special.

16) Make nice with the Pooh people. Quit alienating partners with hardball tactics.

17) Pay a living wage to all employees (including park employees) and reinstitute lifetime career creative positions (not just management) in the studio, animation and imagineering so there is a learning curve and consistency of quality, teamwork and apprenticeship.

18) If you can't get them to work financially, close Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland, importing the physical creative assets over to enhance Disneyland and WDW, making those parks again unique global destinations.

18) Buy Lucasfilm and all related properties.

19) Be creative. Think differently. Tell stories.

20) Quality counts.

21) Be nice.

22) Remember who you are. Remember what Disney stands for: the finest in family entertainment.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 08-26-2007 at 10:27 AM.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    19) Be creative. Think differently. Tell stories.
    With Steve Jobs on the Board of Directors, shouldn't that be, "Think Different"??

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Minion

Merge with Apple and Lucasfilm. Let them and Pixar run the company.

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Merge with Apple and Lucasfilm. Let them and Pixar run the company.
    I have to disagree with this. Disney is not a technology company and does not need to try to be. Buying Pixar and putting Steve Jobs on the Board is the closest Disney needs to get to "merging" with Apple. And I do not at all want George Lucas meddling with the company. Yes to the continued licensing of Star Wars and Indiana Jones to Disney, but no to actually combining the companies and giving Lucas a leadership role of some kind.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• Banned User

Merlin, if you sell ESPN to TimeWarner, you in essence kill off ABC's Sports Division as well, and I doubt the FCC will buy that.

• Minion

>>Merlin, if you sell ESPN to TimeWarner, you in essence kill off ABC's Sports Division as well, and I doubt the FCC will buy that.<<

I have my eye firmly on their family assets. Maybe just a straight cash deal?

What else does Disney have that Time Warner would want? If they sell their interest in CW to CBS, maybe sell them all of ABC and ESPN, but we get Cartoon Network and Boomerang in the deal, along with the family properties?

Disney keeps Family and Disney Channel either way.

•   
    • Minion

I didn't put down my ten... So here it is.

1. Fix Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures. This still hasn't been done largly because I believe Iger and Cook don't have what it takes to make them work... Miramax is a fraction of it's former self without the Weinsteins... Why not promote Cook and get someone else to head the studio that can look squarely at guys like Jerry Buckenhiemer and say if you want the money, you gotta show me a screenplay worth more than recycled paper towels...

2. Fix upper management of Parks and Resorts. Lets face it: Jay Rasulo and his band of yes-people aren't cutting it... Lasseter and Iger have to work their magic independant of them... Why does Disney have to pore money into refreshing attractions when management have an issue with paying for maintaining them? Why not get some people working on the same side for once?

3. Buy Starwood. Yes, this is a bold move... All those W Hotels and Sherritons would be Disney Properties... Imediately Adventures by Disney would have to be reworked to include these properties - which would have support in the market place. The bonus - Matt Ouimet back with a disney name tag. The risk involved could be minimised by selling off some of the properties to Blackstone.

4. Kill Go.com... Just get it overwith... Sell the domain to Ask.com...

5. Expand the Disney Channel to multiple formats to include a Vault Disney Channel, Disney Kids Channel, and Disney Tween Channel. It is time to specials in order to meet the needs of each child and their families.

6. Kill ABC Family... Don't rebrand it... The 700 Club should not be ABC programing.

7. Buy interest in Great Wolf Resorts... Think about it: Disney Themed Indoor Water Parks... Believe it or not, I think it would be brilliant for WDI to play around with the medium.

8. Expand production of Real D films to include live action movies... I want to see how the technology could be implmented to inhance live action films...

9. Step up production and integration of Jim Henson's Muppets and Bear in the Big Blue House... Or sell it back to the Hensons... Sometimes I think Disney aquisitions of property are like a Death Star obliterating interesting worlds. Use the force Kermit.

10. I would like to suggest to Parks and Resorts and ABC Telivision that they start working on more projects together... I don't like what they have been doing recently with parades as a cross marketing campaign... I think they can do better...
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

Okay, here's number five.

I agree with cellualhound on expanding the Disney Channel to the much talked about Vault Disney Channel, although I will keep ABC and ESPN as seprate yet important parts of the Disney family. By refocusing the Disney Channel on Disney and its' rich heritage, it will allow spinning off the current format for tweens to Tween Disney and the (and I hate to say this) rebranding of Toon Disney as Jetix as those Disney toons move to Vault Disney. The current Playhouse Disney format stays from 9 AM to 2 PM, giving Nick Jr and Discovery Kids some compitition, and to do that, we give Pat Robertson a billion dollars to end 700 Club on the soon to be rebranded Tween Disney. All other shows would be sold off to the highest bidders except for the Harry Potter movies that air on Disney properties.

• Minion

In the wake of Vanessa, time to look at how the cable channel's tween lifestyle programming is defining the Disney brand instead of the traditional programs.

• Banned User

Staying on course, Disney is a media company.

They own ABC, ESPN, Disney Channel, Toon Disney/JETIX, ABC Family, television stations, Radio Disney and ESPN Radio (through their cable division), movies and theme parks as well as internet services, and recently sold 80% of their radio properties (save for ESPN Radio and Radio Disney) to Citadel Broadcasting. Company Chairman Bob Iger is ignoring the old stuff (Mickey Mouse, classic characters, etc.) and uses focus groups to look at kids between 8 and 13 who have no spendable income to create stars. I call Mullarkey, Shenanigans, Blarney and their cousin BS in now on that.

It's time go get back to square one, namely the classic characters that helped build the original Disney brand in the first place. Mickey and his friends are supposed to be the most marketable brand in the universe, but sadly, they have been pushed aside by the likes of Hannah Montana and High School Musical. Frankly, this is sad. It was started by a Mouse, but as one sig of a board member has said, it has been ruined by marketing. The Disney brand we know and love is ruined, and as they say, if it's broke, then fix it, Goddamn it!

• Minion

>>It's time go get back to square one, namely the classic characters that helped build the original Disney brand in the first place. Mickey and his friends are supposed to be the most marketable brand in the universe, but sadly, they have been pushed aside by the likes of Hannah Montana and High School Musical. Frankly, this is sad.<<

Bravo, philly.

•   
    • Minion

Well, there is that phinominon called "Brand Management..."

It is easier to brand manage Hannah Montan and HSM than it would be Mickey...

Of course there are those who don't believe in "Brand Management" - They believe they artificially peek and kill brands by burning them out...

I would rather see Hannah Montana and HSM burn out than the Mickey Mouse any day...

What amazes me is how Disney has built the Pooh franchise to a charcter powerhouse that is as big as Mickey Mouse... They have the power to do this, but they stopped showing interest...

Look at how the Muppets are wasting away....
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

1. Fire Rasulo.
    2. I don't know how but offer a lot of money for Matt Ouimet to return and take over Rasulo's spot.
    3. Fire everyone at ABC and re-hire everyone that Eisner and Iger fired (i.e. the people who wanted Survivor and came up with shows like Lost and Desperate Housewives), and get creative people.
    4. Get rid of ABC Family.
    5. Get more funds to the parks seeing as a lot of it's money revenue comes from there.
    6. Pixar becomes the official Walt Disney Studios. Honestly, without PotC, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
    7. Give Roy O. a vote on the board.
    8. Have talks with shareholders more than just once a year.
    9. Stress the talks with Universal on coming up with a plan to figure out to either go with Blu Ray or HD DVD. Seriously, this is stupid.
    10. Give me a raise!
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast