Disneyland Resort Press Release
Week-long Series of Events Culminate With a Memorable Day of Disneyland Magic and Memories
ANAHEIM, Calif., July 8 -- The countdown to July 17 and the actual 50th anniversary of Disneyland has begun. Various memorable events are planned throughout the week of July 11 to commemorate what U.S. President Ronald Reagan called "one of America's national treasures."
Although the Disneyland "Happiest Homecoming On Earth" 50th anniversary celebration festivities continue through 2006, the actual anniversary is one of this summer's highly anticipated events. To commemorate this milestone occasion, the following special events are planned to salute 50 years of Disneyland:
* July 13 -- Fred Segal
Famed Hollywood boutique Fred Segal salutes the 50th anniversary of Disneyland with an invitation-only evening of high, fun fashion as its Santa Monica locale debuts the new "Disney Vintage" apparel line saluting Disneyland during a star-studded evening Wednesday, July 13.
* July 14 -- Hollywood Salutes Disneyland
The stars will shine on Thursday, July 14, as Disneyland is honored on the occasion of its milestone 50th anniversary by the Hollywood Historic Trust and Johnny Grant, honorary mayor of Hollywood. In recognition of its 50th anniversary, Disneyland will receive the coveted Award of Excellence star adjacent to the "Hollywood Walk of Fame" during a 10:30am ceremony next to the El Capitan Theatre.
Accepting the award in person on behalf of Disneyland and its 20,000 cast members will be Michael D. Eisner, chief executive officer of The Walt Disney Company, Robert Iger, CEO-elect and president of The Walt Disney Company and Mickey Mouse. Joining them will be an additional eye-popping cast of 49 Disney Characters on-hand to celebrate the moment.
* July 15 -- Space Mountain Returns/Premiere of Turtle Talk With Crush
The Disneyland Resort will welcome two new attractions to Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure on Friday, July 15.
- Space Mountain blasts-off into a new era of thrills as the popular Disneyland attraction reopens in a ceremony attended by legendary U.S. Astronaut Neil Armstrong, the first man to step foot on the lunar surface of the moon (August 11,1969). The high-speed interstellar adventure reopens following nearly two years of being re-Imagineered for the 21st century. As the signature attraction of Tomorrowland, "Space Mountain" beckons guests anew to its special brand of intergalactic thrills.
- A new wave of fun washes ashore at Disney's California Adventure as Olympic Gold Medalist swimmer Amanda Beard helps to open Turtle Talk with Crush, an all-new attraction inside the park's "Disney Animation" exhibit. The California native and four-time Olympic medalist will introduce guests to the park's new and unbelievable encounter experience with Crush, the sea turtle from the Walt Disney Pictures presentation of a Pixar Animation Studios film "Finding Nemo."
* July 16 -- An Evening of Magic
On Saturday, July 16, there will be stars over the Pacific and aboard the Disney Magic in the Port of Los Angeles as The Walt Disney Company salutes the Make-A-Wish Foundation and 50 years of making dreams come true. Hollywood celebrities and dignitaries will be aboard to help raise money for this renowned organization.
* July 17 -- 50 YEARS OF DISNEYLAND MAGIC
Sunday, July 17, Disneyland celebrates its actual 50th anniversary with a day-long series of special events highlighted by a heartwarming rededication ceremony in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle at 10:00am, featuring Mickey Mouse, Michael D. Eisner (chief executive officer of The Walt Disney Company), Robert Iger (CEO-elect and president of The Walt Disney Company), Art Linkletter (Host of the Disneyland opening day live TV broadcast in 1955) and Walt Disney's eldest daughter, Diane Disney Miller.