Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• insufferable know-it-all

Exclamation Roy and DisCo. WOW

So, how about that Roy news? Did that come slightly out of left field or what?

I'd like to know why Stan Gold wasn't restored to the board as well. Also, do we think this will have Roy appearing in the park for the 50th? And finally, WHAT ON EARTH went on behind closed doors to create this strange solution?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• No bacon; sausage.

Re: Roy and DisCo. WOW

The way I see it, Roy gave up. I think people finally have to admit that Roy had no concrete plan from the start. He thought he could just ride his name and the reputation of his previous coup and the rest would take care of itself. How wrong he was. All of the years of, "Just wait, the best is yet to come" have finally fizzled, the trumped up lawsuit about the CEO search being his last pathetic attempt. Now it seems he's gone crawling back, taking whatever scraps the company would throw at him.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Here is a good detailed article from Bloomberg....

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...top_world_news
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Minion

Or it could be that Bob Iger turned out to be a better choice than they thought and they decided to leave well enough alone? Maybe Iger listened to what they had to say where Eisner wouldn't? Who knows really. It's all speculation at this point...

• șoș Tom șoș

Umm so this also just in, hell has frozen over, I actually have a date tonight, the Cubs win a World Series and pigs are apparently flying...What the hell? I am reading Disney Wars right now and I feel like someone just spoiled the ending for me.

•   
    • Minion

No, I don't think it is over completely yet... This is a settlement... It is an interesting settlement too... However, the terms are not disclosed here...

What I wouldn't give just for a peak at that document....
    Check out my other blog:

I know a lot of people wanted a bloody battle but I think this is ultimately the best. Maybe a statement of support for the new and as yet untested Iger is the just the piece of information that people like Steve Jobs need to here.
    The Mur

• Rock Star Minion

What are StanRoy's wishes for DIS anyway? (Probably on SaveDisney website, eh?)
    I think this is what they should be:
    1. DIS makes movies for families. Animated, live-action, CGI.
    2. DIS operates family theme parks.
    3. DIS operates other family-acceptable businesses.

Roy will be sailing that day, somewhere between mainland and Hawaii.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by themur
    I know a lot of people wanted a bloody battle but I think this is ultimately the best. Maybe a statement of support for the new and as yet untested Iger is the just the piece of information that people like Steve Jobs need to here.
    I still think the board has Iger on a short leash...

And like I said on the other thread... I don't think Roy walked away from this settlement with nothing...
    Check out my other blog:

Neither do I, I can't see him giving in easily without some major concessions.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• back in Austin

"In reestablishing ties with him and his family, the Company has named Roy E. Disney Director Emeritus and a consultant." I don't know corporate-speak, but that doesn't sound like Roy is back on the board to me....

I'm about 2/3 of the way through DisneyWar myself. It may that recent corporate governance laws (Sarbanes-Oxley) make their reinstatement difficult because they wouldn't be spotlessly "independent".

• No bacon; sausage.

I do. Since the shareholder "revolt", he's been little more than a squeaky wheel. He passed up every real opportunity he had for change. All he did was write letters and whine, he took no action. It's clear to me now that he had no concrete plan, that he arrogantly figured his name and reputation from his last coup (that brought Eisner in) alone would bring the company to its knees. And when that didn't work, he floundered.

What has he accomplished? 2D animation is still dead. Lame sequels are still the order of the day. There's still no commitment to adding new, unique, progressive attractions to Disneyland. And the board of directors that got them to this sorry state is still in place. Way to go, what a victory.

Ah, and don't forget, this amazing agreement has his hands tied for 5 years. Yup, he showed them.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by edtsch
    "In reestablishing ties with him and his family, the Company has named Roy E. Disney Director Emeritus and a consultant." I don't know corporate-speak, but that doesn't sound like Roy is back on the board to me....
    No, but it means that the board has a contract with Roy...

I was also thinking about it... Under Eisner... This settlement would have never been made either...
    Check out my other blog:

edtsch: it says he's been made director emeritus. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe emeritus means "for life".

What's interesting to me is that Stan Gold wasn't. Stan's brilliant and I'm very surprised to see him agreeing to stay silent when there doesn't appear to be much in it for him.

• No bacon; sausage.

emeritus: Retired but retaining an honorary title corresponding to that held immediately before retirement

AKA, figurehead.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast