52 96.30%
  • Fullscreen (Pan-and-Scan)

2 3.70%
  • Whatever is available on the shelf.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• IZTUAZU!!!

Widescreen vs. Pan-and-scan

OK, many of you make a choice when you buy/rent a DVD (or VHS Tape) on the format you want whether it be in widescreen (AKA Letterbox) or fullscreen (Pan-and-scan).

So what is your preference?

As for me, mine is and will always be widescreen. I personally think fullscreen takes away too much and Sony Pictures' version of Pan-and-Scan is horrible.
    J.B. Opie

"Doubt is the rust of a feeble mind. The only way to seize the future is to grasp the present. Let's Go!"

-Chairman Clench, Alien Encounter

• e komo mai

Re: Widescreen vs. Pan-and-scan

Widescreen always. Never, ever Pan & Scan/Full Screen.

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)

Always W I D E S C R E E N. We won't even buy a movie on DVD if it's not in widescreen (unless it was never released in widescreen, of course).
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• Minion

Pan and scan isn't full screen is it? I always thought pan and scan was full screen and to make up for what you loose, the camera panned over all the original scenery to give you a glimpse...

The difference is that full screen just shows you what's in the middle.

So we have widescreen, full screen, and pan and scan...

I could be wrong though, someone help me out!

Idealy that is what pan & scan is but it's sort of become a generic term for fullscreen now. Kind oh sad huh? I still prefer widescreen to anything else though.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Wide Screen is really nice, it gives you more of a Cinematic feel. And you get to see that tree that was cut out of frame five in the full screen version.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

full screen = ugly! I think the full screen version of Ghostbusters is 'pan and scan' it always looks very strange and unnatural to me.

• IZTUAZU!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zissou
    full screen = ugly! I think the full screen version of Ghostbusters is 'pan and scan' it always looks very strange and unnatural to me.
    That's the wonderful experience of Sony Pictures Pan-and-Scan! You can see this wonderfully noticeable version on all fullscreen Columbia/TriStar movies. I don't know if they still use that method today because if I buy any Sony Pictures movie, I get Widescreen only.
    J.B. Opie

"Doubt is the rust of a feeble mind. The only way to seize the future is to grasp the present. Let's Go!"

-Chairman Clench, Alien Encounter

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

With the newer generations of T.V.'s coming out they built to the dementions of widescreen. Soon Pan and Scan will be a thing of the past and Im not sure how horrible they will look on those wide T.V.s but it will be bad
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Basking in birthday love

I have a deep and abiding loathing for pan-n-scan. The only time I think it's excusable is if you're limited to a tiny screen and need all the screen real estate you can get. Otherwise, it has no reason to exist.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Circle of Ancients

Even on our bedroom TV, a tiny 27 inch we still use Widescreen.

What I hate though are the movies that are ONLY 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Meaning it is TOO widescreen, and cuts off HUGE portions above and below your picture.

• off in lala land

I got a WS TV and always buy my DVDs WS. If it's not WS, I don't buy it. P/S makes me SICK, literally, when it actually pans and scans agross the image on the TV, I get motion sickness. Away with P/S.
    ...it's been a long time.

• done

LETTERBOXED (aka widescreen) is my choice. It's especially important for epic movies, but it can still be very important for smaller pictures too. What a shame to ruin a director's composition. I figure if your TV is too small to see a letterboxed movie well - then you need a bigger TV.

from someone who was choosing letterboxed when letterboxing wasn't cool

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Pan and scan isn't full screen is it? I always thought pan and scan was full screen and to make up for what you loose, the camera panned over all the original scenery to give you a glimpse...

The difference is that full screen just shows you what's in the middle.

So we have widescreen, full screen, and pan and scan...

I could be wrong though, someone help me out!
    The poll should have been titled Letterbox/Widescreen vs Full Screen/Pan and Scan.

Pan and Scan is not the technical title for films where they cut the sides off, its the technique they use to digitally move from one side or another when two characters were framed at the outmost edges of the screen. Rarely is the technique used unless valuable information or reactions are lost to the audience.

I have been a wide-screen fan since as long as I can remember, it is amazing to go back and re-watch childhood favorites in widescreen. Most notably in Empire Strikes Back there is a scene in which Vader is communicating with 3 star destroyer captains as the travel through the astroid field in search of the Millenium Falcon and as such one of the captains on the farmost outside edge, is killed while in holographic form by what we can only assume was an asteroid taking out his bridge or entire ship...a moment that had been previous cut out in the full screen story.

Another great example is "When Harry Met Sally" the director framed them very far apart at first during intial conversations so they appeared distant. In the full screen version as the re-editor pans and scans, valuable reactions are lost to the audience.

Between now and 2010 or there abouts, more tv shows will move to Widescreen formats, because it easier to interchange film lens designed for fim. Shows like 24, West Wing, Justic League, Star Trek, Buffy and Angel have already made moves towards the widescreen format and the industry is poised to follow to comply with the digital change over scheduled for 2 years from now.

• insufferable know-it-all

Widescreen. Only. Ever.

(unless, as previously stated, no widescreen version has ever been made availible, and sometimes I still won't buy fullscreen)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast