• Minion

Godzilla Final Wars Review WITH SPOILERS!

Having seen Godzilla Final Wars last night at G-Fest(Godzilla fan convention in Chicago that was this weekend) in a version I could understand thanks to subtitles(I had a bootleg I got off the net around Febuary or so, via a Bittorrent set up by the webmaster of a Godzilla media page) I would still stand by my opinion of it being the coolest Godzilla movie around. Not necessarily the best critically but still full of moments of sheer awesome. Directed by Ryuhei Kitamura, who directed the ultra violent movie Versus, you won't find much character development here. But despite that, this was an awesome movie and I give it 9/10 for sheer awesomeness.
    If you want clips, go here: http://www.tokyomonsters.com/videos-...-FinalWars.php
    The movie begins at the South Pole decades ago where Godzilla has been waging a war with mankind who hasn't been doing that good a job until the Gotengo(in it's original design from the movie Atragon) comes in, blasting a crevasse into the ice and burying the monster king within.
    We then go to a prologue explaining that after pollution, war and nuclear testing, a bunch of monsters showed up and so the UN created the EDF to fight the monsters as well as anythind else that would threaten the Earth with a armada of flying battleships and superhuman mutants trained to take on any foe, even the monster king. The opening credits then follow in a montage of scenes from almost every Godzilla movie edited by the guy who did the Spiderman credits.
    After the retrospective, we cut to the bottom of the English Channel near Normandy where the spiffy new Gotengo takes on the sea serpent Manda. Captain Douglas Gordon(played by Ultimate Fighting wrestler Don Frye) is persistent enough to get the mighty dragon off his ship by going through an underwater volcano (at the easily quoteable command of "Fire Missles! Go right into it!") which superheats the serpent right off. The burning dragon heads toward the ship and is frozen by Ozaki(played by Matsohiro Matsuoka),the mutant gunner of the ship. Considering all this stuff the ship went through, the Commander of the EDF(played by Kumi Mizuno of Monster Zero fame, the character is even called Namikawa after her role in Monster Zero as an alien spy) scolds Captain Gordon who is put behind bars after his wreckless behavior and hitting people in the midst of his court martial.
    We go to the Mutant training room where Ozaki and Kazama(played by Kane Kosugi) spar against each other with Kazama having Ozaki in a chokehold before the mutant's human trainer puts an end to the fight. Kazama asks Ozaki why he held back and has to be a big softie, saying that the Mutant's purpose is to flip out and kill things. Ozaki is later assigned to look after Miyuki(played by actress Rei Kikukawa), a biologist from the UN who is studying a recent find of a massive cybernetic monster mummy that appears to share genetic similarities to the mutants via M-Base, a rare 5th base in DNA.
    The twin fairies come into the scene, teleporting the two, as well as a palentologist, to a cave in Infant Island, explaining that the mummy is Gigan, an ancient monster that fought Mothra thousands of years ago and warn that it will wake up soon. They also give Ozaki an amulet knife and tell him he will have to choose what he will be.
    Meanwhile,Naitoro Daigo, the new Security General to the UN(played by Akira Takarada, who was in the first movie) is heading toward New York, though he misses his dog back home. The airplane is then attacked by a flying monster and Daigo is feared dead. We then go to a bad part of New York City where a fight between a pimp and a cop is interupted as Rodan, the flying monster that attacked the plane, begins his attack. Soon, all sorts of crazy stuff is going on as monsters are appearing worldwide with Anguirus in Shanghai, King Seesar in Okinawa, Kamacuras in Paris, Kumonga in Arizona, and the American Godzilla in Sydney. Battleships are deployed to fight Rodan, Kamacuras and Anguirus.
    While these savage creatures are attacking and blowing stuff up, Minya appears in the forests of Mount Fuji and travels along with a little boy and his grandpa.
    Meanwhile in a industrial area in Japan, the giant shrimp Ebirah attacks and the mutants are sent in to fight it. But just as they are about to deliver the killing blow, the massive crustacean along with the other monsters dissapear.
    Soon, a freaking huge UFO appears above the EDF HQ in Tokyo and Daigo is beamed down, saying the aliens aboard rescued him. The aliens, known as the Xilians, warn us of a flaming runaway planet called Gorath that will hit the Earth and destroy it. They suggest firing all our weapons at it at the same time to blow it up before it hits. But soon, our heroes, including the reporter sister of Miyuki, grow suspicious and find out that the Daigo and the EDF commander have been replaced by alien copies and that Gorath is only a hologram and bust Captain Gordon out of jail. The fake Daigo is exposed when he can't recognize his dog on international television, mistaking it for the reporter's dog. The others bust in with the corpse of the alien copy of Namikawa, showing the true form of the Xilians. The fake Daigo is shot by Gordon, who's true alien face appears and freaks out the press and the leader of the Xilians, who wanted the plan to be a quiet and peaceful way of enslavement, is shot by the violent second in command(played by Kazuki Kitamura, called the Commander from here on in) who reveals that the mitochondria in human cells are an important food source to them and that they are naught but cattle and that they controlled the monsters all along by genetically altering their DNA with M-Base. Captain Gordon calls the mutants in, but they are almost all soon turned against them by alien control, Ozaki being the exception. The mutant's human trainer stays behind to fight them off as the others get away, but he is soon overwhelmed and captured.
    As our heroes make their getaway, the alien controlled Kazama attacks them atop a motorcycle and Ozaki follows in pursuit and defeats him, thus getting rid of the alien control. The Xilian Commander then releases Gigan as well as the other monsters to destroy the cities. The battleships are destroyed except the Gotengo, which the Xilians didn't find.
    Captain Gordon,who was actually the person who fired the shot that froze Godzilla, plans to go to Antarctica and release him to fight the monsters. Gigan is set in pursuit of the ship, but is decapitated by the reawakened Godzilla who then pursues the Gotengo in an attempt to settle the score. Godzilla then fights everything the Xilians throw at him, including the American Godzilla, who gets whomped in less then 30 seconds, Kumonga and Kamacuras. After Godzilla defeats Kamacuras near the shores of Japan, we go back to the little boy and Minya. The boy asks grandpa why Godzilla hates humans and he explains that Godzilla was angered when man "set fire" to the Earth and he'd never forget it. Minya wants to get back to the truck so they can follow the monster king.
    The Xilian commander then sends out Rodan, Anguirus and King Seesar at Mount Fuji to fight Godzilla, though they get a pummeling too as they are piled up and knocked out. The Gotengo has finally gotten to Tokyo and ready to fight the Mothership, which is protected by a shield generator within that Kazama knocks out with the ship's dogfighter in a kamakaze mission similar to the core run in Return of the Jedi. Meanwhile, Godzilla has just rose from Tokyo Bay and knocked Ebirah and Hedorah(who wasn't anywhere else in the movie except the end credits) onto shore and blasts them into oblivion.
    The Gotengo goes within the Mothership and the nonimportant people are killed by Xilians while the important characters go up to the bridge as captives. The Xilian commander explains that he and Ozaki both are superbeings called "Keizer" that are one in a million amongst Xilian and Mutant(which are actually human/Xilian crossbreeds). He then directs their attention to the sky where a meteor comes down upon Godzilla, who fired his breath into space to slow it down. A massive explosion rocks what's left of Tokyo and the creature within is revealed, the powerful skeletal dragon Monster X. Mothra then comes in to help Godzilla, but is then preoccupied by a fixed up Gigan with chainsaw arms and a new head. The Commander then tries bending Ozaki to his will, but Miyuki breaks the control with the amulet knife from the fairies. A fight breaks out aboard the bridge and the real Daigo and Namikawa as well as the mutant's trainer have escaped from confinement to help.
    Outside, Mothra defeats Gigan as the cyborg's razor boomerangs cut off his own head and the rest is destroyed by a flaming kamikaze from Mothra. As the other humans leave the bridge to get back to the ship, Ozaki stays behind to fight the commander and realize his power. Captain Gordon takes out the Xilian lieutenants while the others deal with an army of gunmen in the hall.
    Ozaki defeats the commander and a self destruct of the ship is engaged, killing all the Xilians while our human heroes get away on the Gotengo. Monster X then reveals his true form as Keizer Ghidorah, who beats the snot out of Godzilla using energy attacks and absorbtion. Ozaki then acts fast and gives Godzilla energy to defeat the three headed demon in an explosion visible from space.
    The monster king then turns toward the Gotengo, ready for the kill until Minya, now taller, comes in and saves the day by convincing the larger Godzilla to let the humans go as the little boy keeps the humans from getting to Godzilla. Godzilla's heart grows three sizes and the two monsters swim out to sea, leaving the humans to rebuild civilization from the attack. Godzilla then roars to the camera as the movie ends with the word Godzilla, almost like in Lion King. Man this movie was sweet... and you MUST buy this sucker when the US DVD release comes around.
    Last edited by FigmentJedi; 07-11-2005 at 10:41 AM.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

• Minion

Re: Godzilla Final Wars Review WITH SPOILERS!

Does anyone actually care about the monster king here?
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

I do. Old Godzilla movies are what got me into filmmaking. I'm really excited for this new one. Is this the one where we get to see Minya drive a car?

• Minion

He doesn't necessarily drive, he grabs the steering wheel in order to get the grandpa to go and follow Godzilla.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr