• Banned User

Bad News Everyone.. Net Neutrality is No More

Bad news folks: Net Neutrality is No More. I suggest calling up Comcast, AT&T and Verizon and telling them to go to hell. They spent millions of dollars lobbying Congress and tricking the public by promising lower rates to get this passed. I also suggest pressuring those running for office to reinstate this provision when they get into office. Remember how AOL used to be several years ago where you once had to pay extra to go to certain sites? Look for those days to return real soon except on a much larger and grander scale.

Feds OK fee for priority Web traffic

WASHINGTON - The Justice Department on Thursday said Internet service providers should be allowed to charge a fee for priority Web traffic.

The agency told the Federal Communications Commission, which is reviewing high-speed Internet practices, that it is opposed to "Net neutrality," the principle that all Internet sites should be equally accessible to any Web user.

Several phone and cable companies, such as AT&T Inc., Verizon Communications Inc. and Comcast Corp., have previously said they want the option to charge some users more money for loading certain content or Web sites faster than others.

The Justice Department said imposing a Net neutrality regulation could hamper development of the Internet and prevent service providers from upgrading or expanding their networks. It could also shift the "entire burden of implementing costly network expansions and improvements onto consumers," the agency said in its filing.

Such a result could diminish or delay network expansion and improvement, it added.

The agency said providing different levels of service is common, efficient and could satisfy consumers. As an example, it cited that the U.S. Postal Service charges customers different guarantees and speeds for package delivery, ranging from bulk mail to overnight delivery.

"Whether or not the same type of differentiated products and services will develop on the Internet should be determined by market forces, not regulatory intervention," the agency said in its filing.

The agency's stance comes more than two months after Federal Trade Commission Chairwoman Deborah Platt Majoras cautioned policy makers to enact Net neutrality regulation.

Such a regulation could prevent rather than promote Internet investment and innovation and have "significant negative effects for the economy and consumers," the Justice Department said in the filing.

Supporters of Internet regulation have said that phone and cable companies could discriminate against certain Web site and services.

However, the agency said it will continue to monitor and enforce any anticompetitive conduct to ensure a competitive broadband marketplace.

SOURCE: http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2007/0...ty-web-traffic

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Re: Bad News Everyone.. Net Neutrality is No More

Ugh. This really screws up small business owners like myself too. Seeing as I'm in video production, my site is geared towards high-speed embedded media content, of which I rely upon to sell my services, which keeps a roof over our heads.

I'm glad some big wigs will be able to buy another summer home or yacht while screwing over us little people.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by TiaDalmaFan View Post
    Bad news folks: Net Neutrality is No More. I suggest calling up Comcast, AT&T and Verizon and telling them to go to hell. They spent millions of dollars lobbying Congress and tricking the public by promising lower rates to get this passed. I also suggest pressuring those running for office to reinstate this provision when they get into office.
    Ummmm read the comments below the article you cited. The article talks about the OPINION of the Justice Department. The Justice Department doesn't make laws regarding this stuff. The DOJ is part of the executive branch, from what I recall, not the legislative branch. And of COURSE Bush's branch is going to lobby to screw the little guy. Hopefully the FCC has more sense than to listen to the Shrub Administration.

The FCC does make regulations, on the other hand, since it is established by Congressional statute (from Congress, obviously, which is the legislative branch).

No no, net neutrality is NOT no more.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Banned User

And the DoJ has burned what was known as The Bill of Rights to a crisp.

First the former Governor of Missouri, then Afredo Gonzales.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    Ummmm read the comments below the article you cited. The article talks about the OPINION of the Justice Department. The Justice Department doesn't make laws regarding this stuff. The DOJ is part of the executive branch, from what I recall, not the legislative branch. And of COURSE Bush's branch is going to lobby to screw the little guy. Hopefully the FCC has more sense than to listen to the Shrub Administration.

The FCC does make regulations, on the other hand, since it is established by Congressional statute (from Congress, obviously, which is the legislative branch).

No no, net neutrality is NOT no more.
    *smacking my head* Thanks for catching that, Chernabog! You're right- it's not no more. Not yet, at least. Hopefully this will wake us up!