• Minion

Blockbuster Online vs. Netflix

I currently have a free trial to Blockbuster Online. I am considering changing to Netflix when it runs out. The types of movies I watch a lot are not the easiest ones to find. Most of the major Hollywood films I care about I would have already seen in the theatre and I would know if I want to buy them or not. Most of the movies I watch at home are Eastern Asian (Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong) Action and Horror, plus other cult like movies. I will very rarely rent any mainstream releases. I noticed that neither Netflix or Blockbusters offers everything and then some, one will have one movie, while the other doesn't and vice versa. Which one would be the best overall for my interests? I have a feeling it will be Netflix.

• Minion

Re: Blockbuster Online vs. Netflix

Personally I found netflix both better in selection and speed of shipment.

Being my anal self, I had both for a while and put together spreadsheets that showed Netflix faster in shipping and also they do have far more movies.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerfan View Post
    Personally I found netflix both better in selection and speed of shipment.

Being my anal self, I had both for a while and put together spreadsheets that showed Netflix faster in shipping and also they do have far more movies.
    Same here. Love netflix over blockbuster.
    Love it more since netflix moved to my town and I get movies every day ( i get three, send one back everyday and I get one back every day . If they send out from another location out of state, I send the movies back in the local envelope I have saved, and it gets there by the next morning. If I get 2 movies all at once, I keep one envelope and send 2 back in the same envelope, that way I always have a spare to send back locally. Am I anal about about netflix, you bet!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I personally like to support "originals". Netflix was the first to get this dvd online rental thing going so I fully support them for doing so. And they've done a decent job in adjusting prices to stay competitive rather than resting on their laurels.

(so yes, I prefer coke over pepsi because coke came first... among millions of other reasons).

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I personally like to support "originals". Netflix was the first to get this dvd online rental thing going so I fully support them for doing so. And they've done a decent job in adjusting prices to stay competitive rather than resting on their laurels.
    My thoughts exactly! I love my Netflix.

• My cuties!

I love Netflix too!

• Happy Memories

I never used Blockbuster's mail service, but I did compare them before deciding which to go with. Netflix has a MUCH larger list of films to choose from so that's where I went. 1.5 half later I've yet to have a single complaint and only very rarely does it take longer than a single day to recieve my next film (and those instances I blame on the post office, not Netflix).

• Lonestar Louisianian

I too use Netflix for the very reason many mention. I just can't find the type of movies I enjoy watching at the local rental store so Netflix is my supplemental rental stop.

• Purple Crates ♥

Blockbuster has just changed their pricing plans and have eliminated the unlimited in store exchanges in the lower plans. Smart on their part. The plan I'm currently on allows 5 in-store exchanges a month. I switched from Netflix to Blockbuster because of the original unlimited exchanges. You could get your movies in the mail, return them to the store, get 3 more for free, plus your next three would be on their way to you as well. Very good deal.

I am considering switching back over to Netflix, but Netflix does not have a particular Disney Treasures DVD (the Mickey Mouse vol.1 Treasure), but Blockbuster does with a 'very long wait'.

I'm very much wanting to see this DVD as it's got some of my favorite Mickey cartoons I haven't seen in ages. I've even considered buying it off of ebay, watching it, then reselling it again. Unless there's a very kind MC'er that wouldn't mind loaning it to me for a short time. I just may create a post asking this as well

If I can do this, i'm going back to Netflix I think.

• Circle of Ancients

We have had Netflix for 7 years, and we love it.

I heard with Blockbuster you can only get 1 in-store rental per month. The commercial makes it seem like you can get as many as you want.

And yeah, availability of movies at Blockbuster is ALWAYS a problem. Especially now that there are no late fees.

• Earth Intruder

I'm just going to chime in with Netflix (had it for about 4-5 years now) -- just a better selection of movies. I don't think Blockbuster carries "unrated" or "NC-17" movies, or have a good selection of anime/foreign/artsy films.

I've had issues with Netflix delaying shipments by a day or two when I send too many movies back in a month, but that is rarely a big problem.

The Blockbuster "in store" thing is dumb, since unless you live walking distance to a Blockbuster, it is ALWAYS inconvenient to schlep to a physical store! So that's a non-point with me. Stick to Neflix, definitely the better of the two.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• That Guy

Netflix all the way, great selection, great service, you name it.

I sent them a DVD that they say they never received. I told them I sent it, and they said, 'Don't worry about it." That was cool.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    I'm just going to chime in with Netflix (had it for about 4-5 years now) -- just a better selection of movies. I don't think Blockbuster carries "unrated" or "NC-17" movies, or have a good selection of anime/foreign/artsy films.

I've had issues with Netflix delaying shipments by a day or two when I send too many movies back in a month, but that is rarely a big problem.

The Blockbuster "in store" thing is dumb, since unless you live walking distance to a Blockbuster, it is ALWAYS inconvenient to schlep to a physical store! So that's a non-point with me. Stick to Neflix, definitely the better of the two.

Haha yah, all the Blockbuster stores near me have since closed down. YAY! I never liked them anyway.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Circle of Ancients

I hear you about that convenience thing.

The blockbuster near us is like an "Island". Seriously. There are NO parking spots connected to the store. So you have to walk through the parking lot.

There isn't even a spot to park to drop off your movies really quick. Again, your parking across the parking lot so no sending the kids to drop it in the slot.

Netflix!!!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Count me in as a Netflix supporter. In fact, I had an envelope in my mailbox going back and "some people" decided to steal everyone's mail on our block. Netflix counted that as lost mail and we didn't have to pay for it. They are keeping us as customers!