Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Nude tweens should not be "Disney" branded

>.That compromise still doesn't work for me. I want to see all of the Nickelodeon-style content distributed under a different brand (or, at the very least, a new brand extension) because I believe the Disney trademark is being seriously harmed.<<

I can appreciate that. And what harm would it do to the 'tween brand?

Yet, if they both must co-exist - - how do they heal the schizophrenic "Disney Channel" brand identity and message quickly?

How and when can we get Walt Disney and his films back "on-brand"? Does Iger have to release Anne Sweeney and her executives to make that happen? Will it take another scandal like Vanessa?

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Merlin, you sound really passonate about this subject, and I think that is great. While talking about it on MiceChat is all well and good, you should really bring these points up with Disney themselves. Maybe if you went on their website you could find an email address or street address and send them some of your ideas and concerns. Who knows, you might even get a response. Good luck.

• Minion

>>Merlin, you sound really passonate about this subject, and I think that is great. While talking about it on MiceChat is all well and good, you should really bring these points up with Disney themselves. Maybe if you went on their website you could find an email address or street address and send them some of your ideas and concerns. Who knows, you might even get a response. Good luck.<<

But who really needs another form letter while there are still no Walt Disney programs on TV year after year?

The important thing is public discourse and consensus building. History has proven that's the best instigator of change. The internet is such a great way for people to come together to voice concerns of this nature.

But you are right, nancywitt - - I do hope the pleas of those who care about the Walt Disney legacy and brand are heard beyond MiceChat and around the net! You never know. I hope your message inspires people to join the many calls for change out there! Maybe some in the mainstream media will join in. : )

• Hola Yola!

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    >>Bravo! That was everything I was thinking but far more eloquently expressed!<<

Just curious, Cliff - - is the Disney Channel of Melbourne Australia the same as ours?
    From the little I've seen of it I'd say so.

• Hillary scares me.

Some of you, such as Merlin, seem completely oblivious to Disney's business model for their namesake channel. If there are no advertisers, then how the hell does Disney make money off of it? And since there are no advertisers, then how are ratings relevant?

Disney makes money off the channel by charging cable operators a flat fee, per subscriber of the cable company, to carry the channel. Cable operators air the Disney Channel for two reasons: 1) because there is a sufficient demand for it, and 2) because Disney will not allow them to carry ABC without also offering the Disney Channel (unless they pay a hefty fee).

Without good Nielsen ratings, cable operators do not have an incentive to carry the channel and Disney looses negotiating leverage. And without the crappy tween programming, Disney loses the spectacular ratings they've seen of late. Vault Disney went away for good reason - and wasn't merely to annoy Merlin.

So yes, rating do count.

• Minion

>>So yes, rating do count.<<

Only short term.

The "Walt Disney" brand equity is more important in the long run.

• Hola Yola!

Well, it's only your opinion that the Disney brand is being hurt by this phenominally successful programming targeted at tweens. I've yet to see any compelling proof to that effect.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    >>So yes, rating do count.<<

Only short term.

The "Walt Disney" brand equity is more important in the long run.
    To YOU perhaps.

All these posts talking about the "Disney brand." What you should be calling it is "your personal opinion of what Disney programs are." Truthfully the Disney brand is what ever Disney wants it to be and not some line of classic shows that many here seem to have enthroned.

As I said before, most of the arguements against the current programing are EMOTIONAL ones. That's why we get statements like "ratings count only in short term" and people who think that basic cable channels don't need to be conserned about ratings which is ridiculous.

This is a business issue, not an emotional one. Disney has decided that dealing with the occasional tween star controversy is worth it because CURRENTLY those shows keep the "Disney brand" competative with their closest rivals. We few fanatical fans who enjoy the classics would love to see them return, but we are NOT in anywhere near enough numbers to make our demographic a driving force in current programming. At least some of us fanatical fans are unfanatical enough to realize this fact. The Disney brand is what THEY decide it will be, not what our image of it is based on what we consider are the golden years.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    To YOU perhaps.

All these posts talking about the "Disney brand." What you should be calling it is "your personal opinion of what Disney programs are."
    Most posts have this implied. No one should have to spell it out every time.

In my opinion, of course.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Anywho, we'll find out how bad this controversy was when HSM3 is broadcast then released on DVD and we'll see whether consumers watch and buy, or not. That's a good year or two out.
    Have HSM2 DVD's been returned to stores for the express purpose that the lead actress has been shown naked on the internets?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

That's because HSM2 isn't being released until December 11th!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    "The Disney Channel is in the TV entertainment business. It must compete with the other channels for ratings, not to make classic Disney fanatics happy. I would love to see the old shows come back, or even new ones with the old characters myself, but Disney Channel doesn't program to my demographic.

"Ludwig and the gang does not compete with Nickolodeon and Cartoon Network. No matter how much you roll your eyes and claim they don't have to compete, THEY DO. The Disney name alone with their old classic shows/characters will not keep that channel afloat and competative in the business. Shows like HSM and Hannah and Suite Life do, and that means dealing with tween stars.

"It just seems to me many of the arguments against this are nostalgic emotional ones. That's neat-o and I dont nessisarily dissagree with the sentiment, but from a business stand point Disney Channel (in the current market) needs the tweens in the time slot they have them in to stay competative with rivals."
    I'm sorry, but I call Mullarkey on those remarks. I also will call their brothers, Blarney, Shenanigans and BS as well on the comments.

Sadly, The Disney Channel has become a children's 24/7 channel. What we're trying to say is that we want the classic programing by any means neccissary, and if it takes someone else taking over Anne Sweeney's stewardship, so be it. Nick has the "Nick At Nite" block between 9 PM (Sunday-Thursday)/10 PM (Friday-Saturday) and 6 AM, Cartoon Network has [adult swim] between 10 PM (Sunday)/11 PM (Monday-Saturday) and 6 AM. Why wouldn't Disney make an block for the old timers like us, the shows which we saw on the old Disney Channel? This is fralling on deaf Mouse ears, that's why? Do tweens sleep at night? Yes. Why do they insist that they program, for the sake of TiVoing, these cartoons that were buried on Toon Disney?

• Minion

You can't die!

LOL.

• Banned User

Wow - just wow.
    Ratings matter in the long term. It gets more sponsors, more money for new projects. Old classic Disney stuff doesn't sell well - Disney will only market to what makes cash. Can't wait to see Ms Hudgens in HSM3!

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Most posts have this implied. No one should have to spell it out every time.

In my opinion, of course.

Non-sense there are several posts where it is plane that the poster feels his/her post is gospel in regards to "the Disney brand" as if they can speak for what makes up that brand. That's why I posted my opinion on it. I have incountered this attitude on MC before and I have no doubt I will again. Some people invest so much emotion into a particular subject or point of view that it reaches a "fanatic" level and their attitude is that of a fanatic, in other words they state things as if they are the only ones who know the "one true way" but give nothing aside from emotional arguements to back it up.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast