Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Re: Nude tweens should not be "Disney" branded

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    All their Disney eggs in the tween basket is a bigger mistake, especially when it can have any name on it. Then the resulting tabloid photos won't affect the little kids and parents and families.

Disney is making a killing in the tween market. Look around, tweens rule the world. Disney is reaping what they sow.

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    So what happens if we find out Zac took the picture? With Mickey or Ludwig we wouldn't have to speculate on what that would mean for the Disney brand.
    What if we suddenly find out Zac is ga...ooops.

Looks like Ludwig VonDrake is still on the Disney Channel after all. I looked it up and he is on the Mickey Mouse Club House.

Give the girl a break she took some photos that only one person was going to see and someone stole them and posted them all over the net for everyone to see. I kind a feel bad for her.

• Banned User

Vault Disney Channel, anyone?

Rebrand ABC Family, give Pat and Tim Robertson a billion bucks to send 700 Club to Trinity Broadcasting, and voila!

• Pilot EdForceOne

using a different brand isn't enough to isolate Disney from this type of 'scandal' if you want to call it that.

Brands are for styles... they still hold the parent company responsible when something 'bad' happens. It wouldn't help protect the Disney image at all.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Waiting for the stork

Ok,
    First off I may be missuderstanding here, but Disney having a tween market seems to be bothering you?

I gotta say, I like that Disney has a way to appeal to every member of the family, from the tiny tots-school age-tween-teen-adult they cover all the bases with the Disney Brand (and all the other names they go by)

But to cause an uproar about an incedent that a young ADULT (she's 18, NOT a tween) participated in, does NOT diminish the brand. or hurt the company at all.

someone already said Disney is reaping the rewards for the free publicity
    as far as Vannesa ( is that right?) I feel bad for her, it's something many adults have done (especialy young adults) for someone they love. It was meant to be private, she is most certainly very embarassed by the whole event. It should have stayed private, but my understanding was it wasn't her fault that it got out.

and finally, what to to about those poor influential tweens....

well lets see, as a mom of 2 kids 8 and 13 who love HSM they are, as of yet, unaware of the story but I am certain that on Monday my 13 yr old will be aware of it, and I will explain to her that Vanessa (?) is a legal adult, and while I may not condone her actions, they were in private and with good intent and I will NOT condem her for having a private life.

I think perhaps others should stop condeming this young woman for actions that you and I were to have no knowledge of.
    procrastibating

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
    First off I may be missuderstanding here, but Disney having a tween market seems to be bothering you?
    Sounds like he has a problem with Disney Channel not showing the classic "Walt" shows/cartoons he grew up with. This recent scandal has presented him a convenient excuse to argue for those shows' return.

• NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    But on the TV shows and movies that Disney plays, the actors are not naked.
    Gotta love good oldAmerican Putitanical Values when it comes to skin, not even sex, but just skin. Americans simply cannot seperate The Naked Human Body from SEX! Pretty Sad.

At least when Julie Andrews got stoned and blew that guy in that Blake Edwards Film they only showed her boobs and butt. So she can stay...

-----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Sock Puppet

She was naked, who cares? It's not like she was naked and clubbing baby seals.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
    But to cause an uproar about an incedent that a young ADULT (she's 18, NOT a tween) participated in, does NOT diminish the brand. or hurt the company at all.
    I think the OPs point is.. Disney has a history of holding to a higher standard. Just because today's moral standards are lower, does not mean Disney should lower it's as well.

If an actress were to have some 'scandals' under her belt previously or has a public image that is not compatible with their goals, it is unlikely Disney would seek out her employment - why should that change just because they have worked together?

Actors and Actresses bring more then just their performance to a title. Their names draw attention and are a marketable feature of a production.

Someone may be drawn to a movie because it has 'Tom Cruise' in it.. not because it has 'Maverick' in it.

Am I evil? yes, I am

The premise of this thread as stated in the first post is unworkable. As others have pointed out, young actors grow up, and they meet different challenges in life: alcoholism, drugs, nudity, etc. If you start restricting the Disney Channel to showing only things where no one involved does anything controversial, then you have very little to show.

It demonstrates a misunderstanding of the essential art form of film. A film, no matter what quality or genre, is essentially an artistic expression that melds together the vision of actors, writers, director, as well as all other artists associated with the project. Now, granted, HSM is far from High End Art, but it is, nevertheless, a film project. It stands alone, apart from the specific details of the lives of the artists involved regardless of what happens eventually in their lives. A studio simply cannot control all those possibilities. Do you really want to ban HSM, Mary Poppins, Princess Diaries, Harry Potter, and the other myriad of age-appropriate films just because someone wound up gittin' nekked later?

So, let HSM play on Disney Channel for what it is: a fun musical for tweens...

Besides: This is gonna make Hudgyn's career. Look what it did for Vanessa Williams....

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I think the OPs point is.. Disney has a history of holding to a higher standard. Just because today's moral standards are lower, does not mean Disney should lower it's as well.
    Sending nude images to your significant other is not an example of low standards. It's not immoral at all. This actress might have chosen to play a role in a movie in which she gets naked. Would she suddenly be banned from working for Disney? Julie Andrews is a Disney legend and she revealed her ta-tas in the name of entertainment. And yet if someone does it in their personal life it's a bad thing?

The topic if this thread is sensational. Venessa Whoever is not a "tween", not even close.
    Last edited by Acetone; 09-09-2007 at 12:19 AM.

• Banned User

We're bitter old people that has seen the bastardization of the good Disney name in the television part of an epic era for crud that eight-to-fourteen year olds call "entertainment." We want our Vault Disney back or else there will be h-e-double hockey sticks to pay!

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    We're bitter old people that has seen the bastardization of the good Disney name in the television part of an epic era for crud that eight-to-fourteen year olds call "entertainment." We want our Vault Disney back or else there will be h-e-double hockey sticks to pay!
    There is a difference between not enjoying what passes for entertainment on the Disney Channel, which is absolutely awful, and looking down on a young actress for taking a couple of nude pictures. I too miss Vault Disney and wish they would show more classic stuff instead of Hannah Montana and all the other crap they air.

But it's another thing to call this woman, a legal adult, immoral and wrong for doing what she did, which does not affect you in any way. I don't even know what High School Musical is, but people are acting like immature children about this story.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Acetone View Post
    Sending nude images to your significant other is not an example of low standards. It's not immoral at all.
    That is a person to person perception...

This actress might have chosen to play a role in a movie in which she gets naked. Would she suddenly be banned from working for Disney? Julie Andrews is a Disney legend and she revealed her ta-tas in the name of entertainment. And yet if someone does it in their personal life it's a bad thing?
    The Julie Andrews example is a poor one because it was something that happened almost 20 years after Julie Andrews was doing her Disney staring roles. This isn't like S.O.B was released in 1965 while Mary Poppins was still main stream.

The topic if this thread is sensational. Venessa Whoever is not a "tween", not even close.
    No, but her work is tween focused. Her image and frankly her entire career is spun around that market today.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast