Page 1 of 24 123411 ... LastLast

• Minion

Nude tweens should not be "Disney" branded

The Vanessa Hudgens nude picture scandal is a case-in-point of why Disney should rebrand their tween material (and relocate that programming) to ABC Family. One of these days something on a Lindsay or Paris scale will happen and create a major scandal. Though there is good money to be made here, there is no reason to call it "Disney."

Why risk all that hard-earned brand trust and goodwill for parents and families on teenage whims?

Classic Disney programming shoud return to the Disney Channel while the tweens move-in together over at Family.

"Walt Disney" should be Walt Disney, the finest in family entertainment. And never the tweens shall meet.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Re: Nude tweens should not be "Disney" branded

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    "Walt Disney" should be Walt Disney, the finest in family entertainment. And never the tweens shall meet.

But aren't tweens part of the family too?

• Minion

>>But aren't tweens part of the family too?<<

Not when they are naked and keeping classic cartoons off the air.

When we have too much of Vanessa and no Ludwig VonDrake at all, something is amiss. No?

(Amusing comment over on Defamer: "When Walt told Annette not to wear a bikini, she didn't realize the other option was totally nude.")

• Banned User

Disney's Magical Nudity. Or, Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Boobs.

I say make the nudity family-friendly, and co-opt the nudity into the Disney brand, a la the Muppets.

We could start with a comedy - The Absent Minded Stripper.

• Minion

Imagine the new Disney Channel 'tween remakes:

"The Computer Wore ______"

"The Shaggy _____"

"The ________ Trap!"

"That Darn _____!"

"The _______-Mobile"

"Blackbeard's ______"

"The Monkey's ______"

"Escape to _____ Mountain"

"______ School Musical"

"The Love Bug"

"Follow Me, Boys!"

"Gus"

Not when they are naked and keeping classic cartoons off the air.
    But on the TV shows and movies that Disney plays, the actors are not naked.

• Minion

>>But on the TV shows and movies that Disney plays, the actors are not naked.<<

But their real-life actions affect the brand.

Just like Walt asked Annette wear a one-piece and Hayley not to smoke in public. It matters. How do kids separate the image from the identity?

That is never a problem with the Walt Dianey material and cartoons - - or do you not want those to represent the Disney brand anymore? Disney Channel execs definitely do not - - they actually think Walt material is "off-brand"?

Something is amiss with the brand planning department. Bob?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

I'm totally confused by what you are suggesting. Totally.

People do have a private life and at this point their jobs have not put restrictions on what or how they conduct themselves in their private lives.

Sadly, something from a private life was made public. Sad state of our society that it's so easy to invade someone's privacy and make it public. And then a portion of the public is willing to brand that person for something they had no business knowing in the 1st place. That's the real issue here, how much easier it is in today's society to invade a persons private world.

Disney can decide to put their actors under contract to behave/dress/endorse only a wholesome lifestyle and then they would have a reason to fire anyone that acts outside of what they deem "family appropriate".

I still think that an actor has a right to a private life and I'm not going to judge them on that. Just as I hope I will be treated in the same fashion.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

But their real-life actions affect the brand.
    I'm going to be the one to say it. Big freaking deal. She sent a sexy picture to her boyfriend. The Disney brand is not going to go belly up because one little girl was indiscreet. It's not like she's running around nude in public, kicking puppies and pinching babies.

I don't even think they should let her go. She made an error in judgement. Who hasn't? This is no longer the 1950's.

My prediction is this will not damage Disney's bottom line in the slightest.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

•   
    • So fetch

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    It's not like she's running around nude in public, kicking puppies and pinching babies.
    You forgot smoking a cigarette.

Disney will not be hurt by this scandal. If anything it's getting more people interested in HSM 3 with all the publicity.

• Minion

>>I'm totally confused by what you are suggesting. Totally.<<

Pretty simple. Why trust the foibles of teen actors to define a family friendly brand when they can easily be marketed as ABC Family or Buena Vista or whatever, leaving the Walt Disney label to be defined as animation, family comedies, fantasy/adventure, etc., animals, etc as it always was.

The Disney Channel has abandoned the traditional cartoons, movies and television programs completely in favor of this consumer lifestyle programming - - and that could bite them in the butt if some video shows up one day of their "stars". It's not going to happen with Mickey and Minnie!

As the old saying goes "Don't .... where you eat." It wise business to keep "Walt Disney" as "the finest in family entertainment" and keep the tweens as a side dish.

Even Walt marketed Annette's teen/surf records as Buena Vista, not Disneyland. They were "sexy."

How do kids separate the image from the identity?
    In the case with Venessa, don't show them the image. Right now it is all over the internet, but my 7 and 11 year old boys don't know about it because they are not about to Google nude photos of anybody.

• Goodbye VMK.

Wow, honest to God, she's an idiot. I still dont think they should fire her, because that's millions of dollars. But how stupid can she get?

Oh and that article? my dad happened to read it. Then i said to him "dad, are they going to replace her?" [hoping not so] and my 8 year old sister said [oooohhh gosh. now she has to know] "why would they replace her?" and my dad simply stated "they found some naked pictures of her". And all these parents are all worried about omg how am i going to tell her?. Straight out tell them. They'll understand, that shes not a good girl. Or is their TOO little. just be like "She did something really bad and/or inappropriate."

take a look what Vanessa said in this months Teen magazine, page 76, paragraph 5.

being a celeb, though, has it's perks. For example, Vanessa whole-heartedly welcomes a the chance to be a role model to those who look up to her. "I'm a good kid. I've always been brought up with very good morals and I'm not going to go out and do something i don't want other kids to do."she says. "i love being a role model because, in Hollywood, there aren't a lot of role models to look up to the fact that there's a whole bunch of good kids coming out who are now stepping onto the limelight, I'm very proud of that.

oh jeez, give it a rest!
    and so, the princess must leave her kingdom on May 21st, 2008. </3

• Minion

>>In the case with Venessa, don't show them the image. Right now it is all over the internet, but my 7 and 11 year old boys don't know about it because they are not about to Google nude photos of anybody.<<

Why even have to have the problem to worry about when the Disney brand itself is so heavily involved?

Mind you, I'm not saying judge the actress (unless she has a morals clause in her contract), or stop making tween material. Just call it ABC Family or Buena Vista or Hollywood or Touchstone.

I'm saying stop labelling the tween material "Disney" and bring back the missing-in-action cartoons, tv shows and real family movies as "Walt Disney" material. Why would that be bad?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL View Post
    I'm totally confused by what you are suggesting. Totally.

People do have a private life and at this point their jobs have not put restrictions on what or how they conduct themselves in their private lives.

Sadly, something from a private life was made public. Sad state of our society that it's so easy to invade someone's privacy and make it public. And then a portion of the public is willing to brand that person for something they had no business knowing in the 1st place. That's the real issue here, how much easier it is in today's society to invade a persons private world.

Disney can decide to put their actors under contract to behave/dress/endorse only a wholesome lifestyle and then they would have a reason to fire anyone that acts outside of what they deem "family appropriate".

I still think that an actor has a right to a private life and I'm not going to judge them on that. Just as I hope I will be treated in the same fashion.
    I totally agree. Lets not forget that Vanessa happens to be an adult. She and the other cast members are 18+. They are entitled to their own personal lives. Something very private was made very public. Why isn't the perv that posted the pics getting into any trouble?

Page 1 of 24 123411 ... LastLast