• Still lost in Neverland

Thumbs up Harry Potter films top them all now.

Posted on 09-10-07 @ 9:07 PM on Veritaserum

Warner Bros. announced tonight that the Harry Potter series is now the highest-grossing movie franchise ever, having recently topped the total gross of the 22 movies and the six Star Wars films. To date, the combined worldwide total for HP is $4.47 billion.

Also, all five Harry Potter films hold the distinction of being among the top 20 most lucrative movies of all time. Dan Fellman, Warner Bros. Pictures President of Domestic Distribution, said, "It is a thrill to see the Harry Potter franchise reach this unparalleled mark, and, with two movies yet to come, it is amazing to think what heights the franchise could reach by the end of the decade."

OOTP's current tally: $923.9 million.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Knight that says Nee!!

Re: Harry Potter films top them all now.

Wow, and I thought Phoenix was the worst film so far of the five. Good for the series!

I don't know. I find it hard to believe that HP beat out Star Wars or Pirates, or something else of that nature.

I'd like to know what they based their figures on.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I think I'd have to agree about Star Wars. Unless they are counting ONLY box office intake, but if so, that's ludicrous and unfair to compare. If not, I'm not quite sure how Star Wars with 6 films and a couple of decades worth of home video purchases gets beaten out by Potter, no matter how you slice it.

• Still lost in Neverland

I only posted what was reported in Video Times as posted on Verasitrum. I think they are only counting Box Office Take Worldwide, not DVD or Video. THis was just posted today on Muggle Net:

Harry Potter Top Grossing Motion Picture Franchise
    Warner Brothers has announced this evening that the Harry Potter series is the largest-grossing film franchise to date globally, surpassing Star Wars and and James Bond. Totaling $4.47 billion in ticket sales (with two films left to go, WB points out), several high-ups at Warner Brothers are quoted in the press release:
    In making the announcement, Alan Horn [President & Chief Operating Officer] said, “It would be an understatement to say we are proud of the success of the Harry Potter films. We also want to congratulate all of the extraordinary actors, filmmakers and artists who have shared this remarkable cinematic journey with us.”

Dan Fellman, Warner Bros. Pictures President of Domestic Distribution, said, “It is a thrill to see the Harry Potter franchise reach this unparalleled mark, and, with two movies yet to come, it is amazing to think what heights the franchise could reach by the end of the decade.

Veronika Kwan-Rubinek, Warner Bros. Pictures President of International Distribution, added, “This worldwide box office record once again proves that the appeal of the Harry Potter movies knows no border, no age limit, and no language barrier. Each of the five films has captured the hearts and sparked the imagination of audiences everywhere.”
    Of note, Variety has published an article comparing the Potter film franchise to the other big ones:
    Bond, which dates back to 1962, has generated $4.44 billion worldwide and the "Star Wars" pics have pulled down $4.23 billion since the first release in 1977. None of the tallies account for inflation or rising ticket prices.

And domestically the "Star Wars" franchise still far outpaces the boy wizard. All told, the "Star Wars" pics have grossed $2.18 billion, while the "Harry Potter" franchise has grossed $1.41 billion. But then there are still two more "Potters" to go.

And all three have generated millions upon millions in downstream ancillary coin for their studios, once homevideo and TV revenue are added into the tallies.
    To read the press release from Warner Brothers, click the link below. Read more...
    Last edited by Lost Boy; 09-11-2007 at 08:10 PM.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Minion

What is "the 22 movies" referring too?

• Circle of Ancients

Maybe the 22 bond movies? Not sure.

But if you take inflation into account, HP isn't even close to Star Wars.

It would be more than Pirates, Indy or LOTR though because those are only 3 movies, where HP is now up to 5.

• Knight that says Nee!!

That's the problem with lists and claims like these, inflation is never acounted for. I went to Start Wars in the theater way back when...and tickets were something like $4 a show. Now they push $9 depending on where you are give or take. If they can figure out the $$ earned in the box office, they should be able to figure out the number of tickets which would be a more accurate number to compare them by.

• Minion

I love Potter but adjust these numbers for inflation and it's not even close to Star Wars or Bond. I think it's also important to note that Star Wars' success is due entirely to the fantastic whereas the Potter movies are popular almost entirely because of the books.

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, Star Wars Ep. IV is at $1,172,026,600 by itself adjusted for inflation. Second only to Gone with the Wind. Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone is only at $367,907,400 adjusted for inflation.

Yeah. These tallies are never really accurate.

It all depends on inflation, deflation, what you count, what you leave out, etc....

While Harry Potter is a good series, I knew it couldn't trump Star Wars.