• Minion

Stock Buy Back?

Reported on "The Street" today:

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/stoc...FREE&cm_ite=NA

Disney Heads Toward Buyback

By Sandy Brown
    TheStreet.com Staff Reporter
    7/12/2005 11:48 AM EDT

Next up on incoming Disney (DIS:NYSE) CEO Bob Iger's hit list: selling radio assets, brokering a new deal with Pixar (PIXR:Nasdaq) and buying back shares.

Sources say the Burbank, Calif., company is ready to announce plans to buy back a chunk of its shares, though specifics on the timing and volume of any buyback remain unclear.
    This is a snipit of the full article... But the Buyback of stock has not be discussed here at least... It is an attempt to bolster the stocks price which has sagged a bit... Although the shares have been up since Roy started working with Disney Management again... I guess they see it as good sign, eh?
    Check out my other blog:

Re: Stock Buy Back?

Don't know if this is the right place, but I saw "business" and "stock" so I'll try. Let's say a friend of mine (I'll call him Pete) is not very informed in the stock world. He may even be a stock moron, I'm not sure. Anyway, let's say Pete wants to maybe buy Disney stock. Not a $100, framed commemmorative thing, but a $26.00 share of stock/piece of paper, whatever you get. Maybe he can get 1 a month or something. How would I....I mean, what should I tell Pete to do?
    Dragon? Dragon! I swear I saw a Dragon!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot
    Don't know if this is the right place, but I saw "business" and "stock" so I'll try. Let's say a friend of mine (I'll call him Pete) is not very informed in the stock world. He may even be a stock moron, I'm not sure. Anyway, let's say Pete wants to maybe buy Disney stock. Not a $100, framed commemmorative thing, but a $26.00 share of stock/piece of paper, whatever you get. Maybe he can get 1 a month or something. How would I....I mean, what should I tell Pete to do?
    Well if you don't want the frame (I am assuming you looked up OneShare.com), I recomend a super value brokerage where you can buy a share of stock and ask them to convert it to a certificate...

This is actually a common question...

I recomend Sharebuilder.com, because it is great if you just are starting out buying small amounts of stock... They have a Tuesday Market order system where you can purchase a share for $6. And because you are buying in street name, you can aquire ownership for less than one full share...

However there are more than one brokerage that would be more than happy to do this for you...
    Check out my other blog:

Thanks for the info. I checked it out and it seems basic enough even for me. (I don't really have a friend Pete. He's me. Surprise!!) Anyway, I guess I'm a stockholder now...or will be next week. I appreciate the direction. I don't feel any different. Can I boss somebody around yet?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

...Can I boss somebody around yet?
    You have to have an AP to do that!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Dare I ask? "AP"?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Sorry. Kind of an inside joke among Disneyphiles. AP (annual pass) holders can sometimes feel they possess extra privileges while they're at the park. Unfortunately, some bad apples have given AP holders a bad rep as pushy, demanding and rude.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Sweet. I'm one step closer to figuring this site out. Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll never be the boss. I live too far away to have an Annual Pass. But I am proud of my new stockholder status. Wait...now I'll have to start paying attention to the smart people stuff as well as the fun people stuff. More work for me. This bites.

•   
    • Minion

Thanks for the info. I checked it out and it seems basic enough even for me. (I don't really have a friend Pete. He's me. Surprise!!) Anyway, I guess I'm a stockholder now...or will be next week. I appreciate the direction. I don't feel any different. Can I boss somebody around yet?
    No, but it does give you a sense of ownership and a slightly differant perspective... I mean you own one 16,000,000,000th of disneyland... so as you walk the park, you can pick which part is yours...
    Check out my other blog:

Sometimes that is a temporary support for the stock - there needs to be something a bit more... my gut says Bob announces something meaningful before and just after he takes over... he needs something more than just buying back stock..

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    No, but it does give you a sense of ownership and a slightly differant perspective... I mean you own one 16,000,000,000th of disneyland... so as you walk the park, you can pick which part is yours...
    I used to own a blade of grass in the parking lot, but they bulldozed it to build CA.