• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Heavy Metal Concerts Moved Off DISNEY Property, Blabbermouth.net, 9/16/07

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=80858

Greg Burk of the Los Angeles Times reports that five heavy-metal concerts scheduled at House of Blues clubs on Walt Disney Co. property in Anaheim, California and Orlando, Florida have been hastily shifted to other venues or canceled recently, according to House of Blues web site calendars.

A Sept. 7 show featuring Machine Head, Arch Enemy, Throwdown and Sanctity, booked two months earlier, was moved on two days' notice from the House of Blues in Anaheim's Downtown Disney entertainment complex to the Glass House in Pomona. Thursday's concert with Cannibal Corpse, The Black Dahlia Murder, The Red Chord and The Absence, originally slated for the Anaheim House of Blues, was moved to the Galaxy Theatre in Santa Ana. A Sept. 26 Anaheim House of Blues concert featuring Obituary, Alabama Thunder*****, Full Blown Chaos and Hemlock has been canceled outright.

At the House of Blues in Orlando, Fla., on Disney World property, a Sept. 17 concert of the Machine Head lineup has been moved to Club Firestone in downtown Orlando. The same action has been taken with the Oct. 11 Cannibal Corpse package.

Asked about the scheduling changes, John Vlautin, vice president of communications for Live Nation (formerly Clear Channel), the concert-promotion organization that owns the nationwide House of Blues chain, issued a statement Thursday that said only: "House of Blues offers a range of entertainment to match the audience at our venues. It was determined that the mix of entertainment at our two Disney locations should be different from our other venues."

Vlautin declined to comment on why metal bands have been singled out after years of similar bookings or whether other metal events already scheduled, including Suffocation, Edguy and Static-X, will be affected.

Rob Doughty, communications vice president for Disneyland Resorts, declined to comment, referring inquiries to Vlautin. Paul McGuigan, concert promoter at the Anaheim House of Blues, also declined to comment through a club spokeswoman.

The Walt Disney Co., through Vlautin, issued a short statement Thursday that included no specifics about the shifts of the metal concerts: "In consultation with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, the House of Blues will provide a mix of entertainment for guests visiting Disney Resorts."
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Don't Panic

Re: Heavy Metal Concerts Moved Off DISNEY Property, Blabbermouth.net, 9/16/07

Like i said on the thread after the first cancellation: I understand why (though it is pretty much stereotyping both the bands and their fans) but I say if they're already booked, let it stay (especially if there isn't an alternate venue available) and just don't book any in the future.

I understand the problems with fans. Some will be drunk, some will be high, some will just be plain stupid, and you don't want those people streaming out of the concert and into a place that is meant for families. But people doing those same things are going to be at any rock concert that is booked anywhere.

As for the bands, I mean, unless you are going to buy a ticket, nothing they are going to do on stage will affect you if you are shopping in Downtown Disney.

I mean, an easy way for them to take care of this is first off to not advertise that these bands are playing there openly (outside the HoB, on television, newspaper, whatever). The fans will find out how most people do these days: the internet.
    Secondly, just make a rule that these shows have to start late enough that they will end after the Downtown Disney area has closed for the night (I would assume it closes, I've never really checked) That step alone can do three things that can help. The first is the obvious one: when people leave the concert, there's no one out there to offend. Also, some people may not come because of how late it will end, and some bands may choose a different venue because of having only a limited time to drive to the next stop on their tour.

This all can help limit the "questionable"() bands and fans, while allowing for the shows to still happen and Disney to still get a little green (put it into the "fix stuff" fund. At least at WDW)

Also, adding more security for after the shows and using crowd control techniques to make sure the only place people can go is to their cars would help limit problems with the crowd.

As I said at the top (waaay up there) I understand, but disagree.
    ------

------

• When Will It Return?

Yeah they could do all those things...or they could just move the concert...

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

HoB cant be considered a concert venue if they dont allow "certain" types of music, they are a joke and should move as well.

• Banned User

Ah man. some of the best bands banned from House of Blues in Downtown Disney.

Not a fan of Heavy metal, but i'm more of a metalcore, hardcore fan.

Its just music?! Music is supposed to bring people together, not destroy them. What if i opened up a House of blues and banned all country or pop artists because its my least favorite kind. You'd be mad just like how i am now.

Some artists i'm into that fit under my genre are...

Atreyu

A Day to Remember

All Shall Perish

Bring me the horizon

Haste the day

Drop Dead, Georgous

Underoath

Elysia

Evolvar

Emmure

Fight paris

Throwdown

Vanna

XAFBX

As I Lay Dying

Unearth

Chiodos

Bleeding Through

From Autumn to Ashes

August Burns Red

The Bled

36 Crazy Fists

Bullet for my Valentine

Everytime I Die

It Dies today

Killswitch Engage

I Killed the Prom Queen

Check them out
    Last edited by barfownz; 09-22-2007 at 02:34 PM.