• Disney Memory Maker

Grauman's Chinese Theater Sold..... Again

Didn't see this posted anywhere (but to be quite honest, I didn't look all that hard).....
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Times
    Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood is sold
    September 3, 2007

Grauman's Chinese Theatre, a Hollywood landmark that attracts millions of tourists each year to its outdoor courtyard where generations of movie stars left their hand and footprints, has been purchased by Hollywood's largest commercial landlord.

CIM Group of Los Angeles says it has no plans to change the 80-year-old theater, and the purchase continues its string of acquisitions in the heart of Hollywood.......

Source: LA Times
    So just to recap, Grauman owned the theater from its opening in 1927. Mann's took over in 1973 and renamed the theater to Mann's Chinese Theater. It was sold at the turn of the millennium to a partnership of Warner Brothers and Paramount who in turn brought back the original theater name in 2002.

Now I bring this up because... well there is a certain facade in a certain Disney theme park which some people would like to return into focus. Now could this new owner (who to the best of my knowledge is not a competitor to Disney.... though I guess the El Capitan might count as competition) possibly work out a deal with Disney to move (or remove) a certain piece of headwear from in front of said facade? What do you guys think? (And PLEASE do not turn this into a Hat debate.... if you like the hat, fine.... if you don't like the hat, fine.... that's not the purpose of this thread).
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Grauman's Chinese Theater Sold..... Again

Missed it. What does a real movie theatre in Hollywood, CA have to do with WDW?
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Darien IL- a suburb 25 mins west of Chicago

the theatre is the facade (can't spell) to GMR and many people want the hat moved or removed so the theatre can be returned to the focus of the park the 1st thing you see when you walk in.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    Now could this new owner [snip] possibly work out a deal with Disney to move (or remove) a certain piece of headwear from in front of said facade? What do you guys think?
    I think there's now at least a glimmer of hope that the new owners might be open to a more reasonable price to amend the license of the theater at WDW...so The Great Movie Ride and the Studio theme park can get one of its icons unblocked...and the public may enjoy it again as it was originally intended and designed.

• Circle of Ancients

I can't see this happening for a second.

Believe it or not, many people like the hat. I don't mind it although I do wish there was something other than a pin-store underneath the hat.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I can't see this happening for a second.

Believe it or not, many people like the hat. I don't mind it although I do wish there was something other than a pin-store underneath the hat.
    Do they sell hats too?
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Do they sell hats too?
    I'm sure they do. But it's like an open store, not even enclosed.

Like I said, I don't mind the hat. But they need to do something with it besides just what is basically an oversized ODV cart that sells merchandise.

I'd equate it to the booths outside of HM that sell the Nightmare Before Christmas stuff. It's fine for there, but NOT for the parks central icon.

Lakeland Florida......40 minutes from WDW.

I agree with Sir Clinksalot. The parks have been "over-merchandised" or too much emphasis on the merchandise for a long time, but to have a park icon whose sole purpose is as a merchandise location is just ridiculous! (Although, I guess it did have the interactive trivia kiosks in it when first constructed at the time of the 100 years of Magic campaign.)
    Rod

.....a dawn for new awareness........(S.B. Anthony, American Adventure, Epcot)

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Didn't see this posted anywhere (but to be quite honest, I didn't look all that hard).....
    So just to recap, Grauman owned the theater from its opening in 1927. Mann's took over in 1973 and renamed the theater to Mann's Chinese Theater. It was sold at the turn of the millennium to a partnership of Warner Brothers and Paramount who in turn brought back the original theater name in 2002.
    One minor correction, the theater itself was not sold to the Warner-Paramount partnership. The entirty of Mann Theatres was aquired, which included the Chinese.

• Disney Memory Maker

So much for lets not turn this into a 'the-hat-shouldn't-be-there thread.' And again, whether or not you like the hat, one of the biggest reasons for its existence is because Disney didn't want legal troubles with having the Chinese theater as the centerpiece and main photo-op of its park. So could this new owner be a bit less restrictive then its predecessor? Or on the other hand, the hat as been there for about 7 years and has firmly established itself as the icon and centerpiece of the park, so even if CIM is less strict, would that change anything?
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

And again, whether or not you like the hat, one of the biggest reasons for its existence is because Disney didn't want legal troubles with having the Chinese theater as the centerpiece and main photo-op of its park.
    I have some questions about the statement that Disney's reason for building the hat was that "Disney didn't want legal troubles with having the Chinese theater as the centerpiece and main photo-op of its park." What are the legal restrictions? What are the potential legal troubles? And, most importantly, what is the basis for that statement?

As far as I can tell, the "legal matter" explanation of why Disney built a giant Sorcerer Mickey hat between Hollywood Boulevard and the Great Movie Ride is nothing more than an Internet legend that's repeated over and over, until a lot of people assume it to be true because they've seen the explanation so many times.

If I'm wrong, please prove me wrong.

I think the big hat was a clueless Disney marketing executive's "brilliant" idea to infuse Disney-MGM Studios with more "Disney Magic" for the "100 Years of Magic" marketing campaign.

I think it's very unlikely that Disney is stuck with a contract that allowed them to build a replica of the facade of Grauman's Chinese Theatre in 1989 but now only allows guests to see it if they're looking from an angle or they're standing right in front of it. Guests can still see and photograph the Disney version of the Chinese Theatre—just not from as many angles as previously.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    As far as I can tell, the "legal matter" explanation of why Disney built a giant Sorcerer Mickey hat between Hollywood Boulevard and the Great Movie Ride is nothing more than an Internet legend that's repeated over and over, until a lot of people assume it to be true because they've seen the explanation so many times.

If I'm wrong, please prove me wrong.
    Repeating seems to be the only proof that is ever provided. It probably stems from an excuse to not want to portray the property of two competitors.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Not to derail this thread, but regarding the sale of Grauman's Chinese: perhaps they'll finally repaint this theatre from the appallingly drab grey.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.