• I was deleted.

Court sides with Disney on Pooh Rights

Court sides with Disney on Pooh Rights

Tuesday a California appeals court declined to reinstate the case against the Walt Disney Co over royalties for its popular Winnie the Pooh character.

A Los Angeles trial court dismissed the case in 2004 brought by the estate of Stephen Slesinger, the literary agent who worked to popularize Winnie the Pooh in the United States on the grounds that Slesingers' legal team illegally obtained documents by trespassing on Disney property.

In 1991 Disney was first sued by Slesinger's widow and daughter, who claimed Disney had underreported sales of Pooh and owed the estate billion of dollars in royalties.

Sales of Pooh merchandise have generated more that $6 billion in retail sales in 2005, which Disney realizes a licensing fee.

More on the story: Reuters.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Court sides with Disney on Pooh Rights

Wow. That's a big win for Disney. But this isn't quite over yet:

from the Wall Street Journal Online:
    September 26, 2007, 9:05 am
    Court Pooh-Poohs Plaintiff’s Argument in Disney Dispute

Posted by Peter Lattman

It never ceases to amaze the Law Blog how long litigation disputes can take in this great nation. Exhibit A: Sixteen years after it was initially sued, Disney won an appeals court ruling in a battle over hundreds of millions of dollars in royalties for Pooh products. Here’s the 54-page opinion, and a Bloomberg story.
    A California appeals court in L.A. affirmed yesterday a 2004 trial judge’s decision to throw out a 1991 lawsuit by Stephen Slesinger, who acquired the rights to Pooh from author A.A. Milne back in 1930. The trial-court judge dismissed lawsuit after concluding that Slesinger’s company “tampered with the administration of justice” by hiring a PI who stole thousand of pages of Disney documents, including some company trash cans.

The appeals court said it was cool with the trial judge’s decision to do that. “When a plaintiff’s deliberate and egregious misconduct makes any sanction other than dismissal inadequate to ensure a fair trial, the trial court has inherent power to impose a terminating sanction,” wrote the court.

Disney’s lawyer? O’Melveny’s Dan Petrocelli, of Enron fame (click here for Law Blog Background). Disney “is obviously extremely pleased and gratified that there’s now a definite and final decision putting this case to rest once and for all.” Representing the plaintiffs is Steven Mayer at Howard Rice.

Not quite, Dan. A Slesinger spokeswoman says the company will appeal the ruling to the California Supreme Court, and it’s also pursuing counterclaims in a related federal court case.

Permalink | Trackback URL: http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2007/09/26/...spute/trackbac
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• I was deleted.

Somehow as I read and wrote that.. I knew it wasn't over. "These are the appeals that never end..."

• For You!

So the big question is, how much has the lawsuit cost both parties over the last 16 years????

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Imaginative Possibilities

hooray...we keep pooh
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

• HSM Geek

Disney keeps Pooh FOREVER! (Hopefully)
    Don't Stop Believin'

One wonders what Charles Dickens would make of this case. As a jaundiced look at the British legal system, he wrote the novel "Bleak House" about a case that wound its way through the British courts for years.

As a billion dollar company, we know how Disney can afford their legal fees, but one wonders how the other side can afford theirs. As the legal fees for either side in this case, after all this time, must be up into the millions.

And one wonders, during all this time, did Disney ever put a settlement down on the table? And if they did, why the other side didn't pick it up? It would now appear to be the logical thing to do.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexasKid View Post
    One wonders what Charles Dickens would make of this case. As a jaundiced look at the British legal system, he wrote the novel "Bleak House" about a case that wound its way through the British courts for years.

As a billion dollar company, we know how Disney can afford their legal fees, but one wonders how the other side can afford theirs. As the legal fees for either side in this case, after all this time, must be up into the millions.

And one wonders, during all this time, did Disney ever put a settlement down on the table? And if they did, why the other side didn't pick it up? It would now appear to be the logical thing to do.
    I would hope that Disney would have offered a reasonable settlement to the Slesinger estate back during the early stages of this dispute. Still, the late Stephen Slesinger purchased the rights to Pooh from a likely financially stressed A.A. Milne.

If it was the author's wife and children that were sueing, I would side in with them. This because they would represent the creative talent and love that went into the story and it's characters. I fail to have much interest and sympathy concerning the wife and daughter of a businessman who completely bought/took the property rights completely away from Milne's family.

The Slessinger's made money off their coldhearted little busuness deal long ago. Let them appeal until the cows come home. It's only about money with people like that. I hope that Winnie Pooh Pooh's all over the front lawn of their mansion.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    Somehow as I read and wrote that.. I knew it wasn't over. "These are the appeals that never end..."
    Disney has done more to entertain youngsters and their families than anybody else could ever hope to do. I hope that these property owners get their heads stuck inside their respective bathroom "honey pots".

"This is the song that never ends..."
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!