Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Disney issues apology for antigay incident at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    We'll be hearing more about this one. There are Disney cast members who are very upset with how security handled these guests - especially considering the reasons that they took such action.
    And what reason would that be, pray tell?

From what the security team says they were responding to reports of threatening gestures, and a CM thought they saw a gun. In a crowd it's hard to tell sometimes when someone makes any gesture what the intent is. They detained the party in question and it was the Anaheim PD that man handled and searched the party in question. It was not Disney Security. How else should it be handled if a CM reports thinking they saw a gun? What else was Disney to do in a situation where thousands of people could have been in danger? It's a misunderstanding and Disney apologized...so unless I see some hard evidence that the CM made a fraudulent report simply to slight a homosexual family, then I stand firmly by my opinion in this case.

I do not deny that in any company there are bound to be homophobic or intollerent people, but the scale of this supposed conspiracy is mind boggling. I would have to believe that a CM called security and said "I have gays over here", to which they respond by running over and detaining innocent people that had done nothing but walk around holding hands. The police were called with some fabricated story thought up on the spot by the reporting CM and security. I have to also believe that this behavior pattern managed to not have repeated it's self EVERY SINGLE time that this CM has seen a same sex couple walk hand in hand...an event I have engaged in the parks, and I see countless times a day.

Security did what I would expect them to do if they are tipped off that someone might have a gun. Kudos to a quick response by them and the PD. They put their lives on the line daily for the safety of strangers.

IF..and it's a huge stretch of the imagination...IF the CM fabricated the story then shame on them, and I hope it comes to light so they can be dealt with. I believe the corporate face of Disney is playing it safe and issuing a general apology. The misundersatnding should be apologized for, but it's hard to call this an anti-gay incident, considering the source of the accusation has not claimed he was the victim of any slurs or even a mention of his orientation. He is just claiming that it must be because he is gay that he was detained. It couldn't possibly be that a CM misinterpreted a playful hand gesture in a crowd of people...no, no...it MUST be simply because he was gay...seriously...c'mon

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by bluejake01 View Post
    Yes we will, since I see no where in the reports that the issue of sexuality was brought up by ANYONE...'cept the guest who, after that fact, is playing the "gay card". This is nothing more than public grandstanding designed to incite bad press and push Disney into a lofty out of court settlement. I am a member of the GLBT community and this kind of incident really upsets me. Instead of tackling real issues and calling attention to real violence and discrimination against people who are "different" than the status quo, they are going to create a media circus and attack one of the most diverse and progressive companies in the world...way to go.
    Too me it doesn't sound like he is playing the gay card. He's just telling it like it is. But we may never know for sure.
    Last edited by Rex Dopey24; 09-29-2007 at 11:31 PM. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by rex22 View Post
    Too me it doesn't sound like he is playing the gay card. He's just telling it like it is. But we may never know for sure.
    Since he has not made an accusation that they used slurs or bigoted comments about his sexuality, then he is making the claim that he was targeted for his sexuality based on...what exactly? Sounds like he's playing the "gay card" to me.

• Goofy

The only thing that matters is the company apologized to him.

• Imaginative Possibilities

Im sure it was a misunderstanding upon both parties, the incident has occured and the apology has been issued... case closed
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IMAGINE View Post
    Im sure it was a misunderstanding upon both parties, the incident has occured and the apology has been issued... case closed

Exactly. But you have to understand, this is a message board and now the arguing over who said/did what will continue.

So grab some popcorn, pull up a recliner, and enjoy the show!!

Regardless of the merits of the apology or complaint, it does remind me of watching Disney security break up boy/boy, girl/girl dancing at the park in the 80s. I guess we should be glad some things have changed for the better...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

There were plenty of public displays of affection among the gay guests last weekend!

• formerly PretzelSouls!

That isn't right at all..but I am glad Disney has provided a formal apology.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I'm not so sure about this story any more. Someone I really trust in security (who wouldn't hesitate to tell the truth) said that it just wasn't a "Gay" thing. While the way the guy was detained in front of other guests was regrettable, it wasn't because he was holding hands with his partner.

I sure hope that is the case. But I do have faith that Disney will do a full and through investigation and take appropriate action as necessary.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12