Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Posts
    13,762
    Blog Entries
    3

    Disney issues apology for antigay incident at Disneyland

    San Diego resident, Wil Kenney, has received a formal apology from the Walt Disney company after a harrowing evening with security and the Anaheim police at Downtown Disney (at the Disneyland Resort).

    Mr. Kenney claims he was harassed by Anaheim police and Disneyland security because Mr. Kenney was holding another man's hand.

    Mr. Kenney, along with two other same-sex couples and their children, were walking through the Downtown Disney district on Saturday when Disney security detained them and called Anaheim PD. Mr. Kenney claims that he was forced face-first into a wall and forcibly frisked, searched, and interrogated in front of hundreds of people in Downtown Disney.

    At the time, Disney security claimed that Mr. Kenney threatened them with a fire arm. However, after finding no weapons on Mr. Kenney or anyone else in his party, Anaheim PD left the scene.

    Rob Doughty, who is head of Disneyland's gay group and a vice president of communications for Disneyland, says the whole incident was a misunderstanding that had nothing to do with Kenney's sexuality. "Our policy is, "everyone is welcome," Doughty says. "If a same-sex couple wants to hold hands at our park, that's fine." Doughty says that the Disney Company will not not tolerate homophobic behavior from its cast members, as Disney is a very welcoming company.
    Find us on Facebook:

    .

    How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,



  2. #2

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    198

    Re: Disney issues apology for antigay incident at Disneyland

    This Is Very Sad And To Think That Gay Days Is Right Around The Corner!

  3. #3

    • I'm baaaaccckkk!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    1,436
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Disney issues apology for antigay incident at Disneyland

    ...
    <3 Chloe

  4. #4

    • Miss Marvel
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: Disney issues apology for antigay incident at Disneyland

    Quote Originally Posted by QuietViolet View Post
    ...
    For real.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

    "If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

    "It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

  5. #5

    • Multi-decade CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    272

    Re: Disney issues apology for antigay incident at Disneyland

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Mr. Kenney claims he was harassed by Anaheim police and Disneyland security because Mr. Kenney was holding another man's hand.

    Mr. Kenney, along with two other same-sex couples and their children, were walking through the Downtown Disney district on Saturday when Disney security detained them and called Anaheim PD. Mr. Kenney claims that he was forced face-first into a wall and forcibly frisked, searched, and interrogated in front of hundreds of people in Downtown Disney.

    At the time, Disney security claimed that Mr. Kenney threatened them with a fire arm. However, after finding no weapons on Mr. Kenney or anyone else in his party, Anaheim PD left the scene.
    Kenney claims that he was detained because he was holding another guy's hand. That's his side. What did Disney security say he was detained for?

    Don't forget the alleged threat Kenney made about having a fire arm. If he did in fact make that threat, then small surprise he was forced against a wall, frisked, and interrogated. Both security and police would have been derelict if they hadn't done that.

    The bottom line is that we do not know why Kenney was detained. The post does not tell both sides. Therefore, no one should make any judgements as to who was in the right or wrong on this incident.

    Lighthope

    Pearls of Wisdom - Diplomacy: Saying "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.

    --== TIGERS' QUEST - www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - www.dwad.net

  6. #6

    • All you need is LOVE
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dland USA
    Posts
    9,141

    Re: Disney issues apology for antigay incident at Disneyland

    Wow I am so surprised. This is very disheartening.


  7. #7

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    238

    Re: Disney issues apology for antigay incident at Disneyland

    I have seen hundreds of Same-sex couples holding hands throughout Disneyland, during my time working there. There is always two sides to each story

  8. #8

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Posts
    13,762
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Disney issues apology for antigay incident at Disneyland

    Disney security claimed that he made a gesture with his hands that led them to believe he had a firearm. But Disney management was not pleased with how security handled this. There is a reason they issued an apology.
    Find us on Facebook:

    .

    How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,



  9. #9

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sacramento, Ca
    Posts
    167

    Re: Disney issues apology for antigay incident at Disneyland

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Disney security claimed that he made a gesture with his hands that led them to believe he had a firearm. But Disney management was not pleased with how security handled this. There is a reason they issued an apology.
    The thread title is misleading at best. Disney apologized for the misunderstanding..rightfully so...but...they did not apologize for an "antigay incident". No such incident happened in my opinion...just a misunderstanding. The whole article is a little more illuminating as to just what occured.

  10. #10

    • Practically Perfect
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    848

    Re: Disney issues apology for antigay incident at Disneyland

    Quote Originally Posted by bluejake01 View Post
    The thread title is misleading at best. Disney apologized for the misunderstanding..rightfully so...but...they did not apologize for an "antigay incident". No such incident happened in my opinion...just a misunderstanding. The whole article is a little more illuminating as to just what occured.
    The misunderstanding is thinking that we have any idea as to what happened. Unless any one of us were there, then we don't. Forming opinions based on nothing is the misunderstanding here. Maybe the security personnel were out of line, maybe they weren't. Either way, unfortunate situation...



  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sacramento, Ca
    Posts
    167

    Re: Disney issues apology for antigay incident at Disneyland

    Quote Originally Posted by quasimodo1384 View Post
    The misunderstanding is thinking that we have any idea as to what happened. Unless any one of us were there, then we don't. Forming opinions based on nothing is the misunderstanding here. Maybe the security personnel were out of line, maybe they weren't. Either way, unfortunate situation...
    I don't doubt they were out of line...it's the reasons that are in question, and based upon my knowledge of Disney policies, training, and gay friendly attitudes I HIGHLY doubt the incident was based on sexuality. That is a fairly educated and reasonable opinion...not wild conjecture. I stand by my opinions.

    Not only that but the apology isn't for engaging in antigay practices. The apology is for the misunderstanding. Disney has not admitted fault for an antigay incident, or that one even occured...so to say they apologized for an antigay incident is misleading.

  12. #12

    • Practically Perfect
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    848

    Re: Disney issues apology for antigay incident at Disneyland

    Quote Originally Posted by bluejake01 View Post
    I don't doubt they were out of line...it's the reasons that are in question, and based upon my knowledge of Disney policies, training, and gay friendly attitudes I HIGHLY doubt the incident was based on sexuality. That is a fairly educated and reasonable opinion...not wild conjecture. I stand by my opinions.

    Not only that but the apology isn't for engaging in antigay practices. The apology is for the misunderstanding. Disney has not admitted fault for an antigay incident, or that one even occured...so to say they apologized for an antigay incident is misleading.
    Obviously it was being made an issue by someone, or it wouldn't have been brought up. All I'm saying is we don't know, and on that we'll just have to agree to disagree.



  13. #13

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sacramento, Ca
    Posts
    167

    Re: Disney issues apology for antigay incident at Disneyland

    Quote Originally Posted by quasimodo1384 View Post
    Obviously it was being made an issue by someone, or it wouldn't have been brought up. All I'm saying is we don't know, and on that we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Yes we will, since I see no where in the reports that the issue of sexuality was brought up by ANYONE...'cept the guest who, after that fact, is playing the "gay card". This is nothing more than public grandstanding designed to incite bad press and push Disney into a lofty out of court settlement. I am a member of the GLBT community and this kind of incident really upsets me. Instead of tackling real issues and calling attention to real violence and discrimination against people who are "different" than the status quo, they are going to create a media circus and attack one of the most diverse and progressive companies in the world...way to go.

  14. #14

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Posts
    13,762
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Disney issues apology for antigay incident at Disneyland

    Quote Originally Posted by bluejake01 View Post
    I see no where in the reports that the issue of sexuality was brought up by ANYONE...'cept the guest who, after that fact, is playing the "gay card".
    We'll be hearing more about this one. There are Disney cast members who are very upset with how security handled these guests - especially considering the reasons that they took such action.

    What I am encouraged by is that the Disney Company does not tolerate such behavior and is willing to defend their policies. I'm waiting to see who gets shuffled or fired as a result of this.
    Find us on Facebook:

    .

    How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,



  15. #15

    • HSM Geek
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17

    Talking Re: Disney issues apology for antigay incident at Disneyland

    Me too.
    Don't Stop Believin'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. An Antigay Incident at Disneyland?
    By DisneylandFan1997 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 11:01 PM
  2. Disney apology could cool talk about racial profiling
    By WDW Monorail in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 03:23 PM
  3. 47 years ago today at Disneyland - International Incident
    By RobotMirror in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-20-2006, 01:47 PM
  4. Incident At Disneyland!!
    By Robbguy in forum Community Outpost
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-08-2005, 09:46 PM
  5. Cameraman charged after Disneyland incident
    By Disnerd in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-10-2005, 08:45 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •