• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

"Getting Perspective: The Art & Science of 3D Motion Pictures" 11/6/07

Not since the 3D boom of 1953 have filmmakers and movie audiences been so captivated by the potential of what is more accurately called “stereoscopic motion picture technology.” Driving this resurgence are the development of advanced digital projection systems and a new generation of moviegoers eager for the “next new thing” – even though the art of 3D motion pictures is over a century old.

Hosted by Science and Technology Council member Rob Hummel, “Getting Perspective” will serve as a stereoscopic primer: film clips, discussion and live demos will reveal the mechanics and marvels of stereo vision, the proscenium arch, interocular distance and convergence, anaglyphs, active vs. passive glasses, and circular vs. linear polarization.

The Tech Council’s 3D showcase will continue the following week with the American premiere of the newly restored John Wayne classic Hondo in 3D digital projection. This quintessential Western, based on the Louis L’Amour story “The Gift of Cochise,” stars Wayne as Hondo Lane, a dispatch rider who must protect an isolated female rancher (Geraldine Page) and her young son from a hostile Native American tribe.

When it was released in 1953, Hondo screened in 3D in a limited number of theaters; it has rarely been seen in that format since. The evening’s program will include a panel discussion hosted by film critic Leonard Maltin about the film’s restoration.

Academy Award Nominee: Actress in a Supporting Role (Page)

Ticket and event informations at:
    http://www.oscars.org/events/3d_hondo/index.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Still lost in Neverland

Re: "Getting Perspective: The Art & Science of 3D Motion Pictures" 11/6/07

I would love to go to the Art and Science of 3-D but where is 1313 Vine Street. I have to take subway and bus and I would need to know what the closest cross street is. There are several stops on the subway along Hollywood Blvd and I could get off and walk if it's close enough to either Highland or Vine.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    I would love to go to the Art and Science of 3-D but where is 1313 Vine Street. I have to take subway and bus and I would need to know what the closest cross street is. There are several stops on the subway along Hollywood Blvd and I could get off and walk if it's close enough to either Highland or Vine.
    1313 Vine St. is 2 blocks south of Sunset Blvd., north of Santa Monica Blvd. Take the subway to Hollywood & Highland and get off. Then you can take a Hollywood DASH bus from Hollywood & Highland to 1313 Vine St. for a quarter (that's right, 25 cents). DASH buses leave Hollywood & Highland every 10 minutes.

Plan your trip here: http://www.mta.net/default.asp

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

I would love to go to the Art and Science of 3-D but where is 1313 Vine Street.
    Google Maps. It's a beautiful thing.

It used to be headquarters for APLA (thanks to David Geffen). They sold it to AMPAS.
    Last edited by DOOM BGI; 10-02-2007 at 12:03 PM.
    --Jonathan

• Still lost in Neverland

Wouldn't it be easier to get off at Hollywood and Vine and then just walk the block or so to 1313 Vine? Then I wouldn't have to ride another bus. I think I know where it is now. I had Vine Street confused with something else. Thanks for the information as that is what gave me the clue I needed.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Banned User

Wouldn't it be easier to get off at Hollywood and Vine and then just walk the block or so to 1313 Vine? Then I wouldn't have to ride another bus. I think I know where it is now. I had Vine Street confused with something else. Thanks for the information as that is what gave me the clue I needed.
    If you're okay with that, that's fine, but Hollywood and Vine to 1313 Vine is more than just a single block. Don't forget, you'd have to go from Hollywood down past Sunset and then another 2 blocks after you hit Sunset.

• Huh?

Wow.

I really wish I lived in California sometimes. I really want to see these events...

Now, when's the national stereo rereleases of Hondo, House of Wax, and Dial M For Murder?!
    -Tim