Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Music Publisher Sues Fox Over Alleged Anti-Semitic 'When You Wish Upon a Star'

Independent music publisher Bourne Co., which owns publishing rights to Disney songs from Pinocchio and the Silly Symphonies, filed a federal lawsuit against 20th Century Fox on Wednesday for misuse of the song "When You Wish Upon a Star" in an episode of the Fox animated series Family Guy. The show's creator Seth MacFarlane, among others, was also named in the suit.

The Family Guy episode "When You Wish Upon a Weinstein" features a song entitled "I Need a Jew" which Bourne claims is a "thinly-veiled copy" of the classic Disney tune with "new anti-Semitic lyrics."

Bourne wants all copies of the song destroyed and is seeking damages of over $150,000.

In a statement, Fox Television said it had no comment.

Source: Billboard

• Shablagoo!

Re: Music Publisher Sues Fox Over Alleged Anti-Semitic 'When You Wish Upon a Star'

That episode aired years ago and they are suing now? The song only vaguely resembles "when you wish upon a star" . Looks like someone is trying to make a fast buck.

• Travel-Sized Guardian

Re: Music Publisher Sues Fox Over Alleged Anti-Semitic 'When You Wish Upon a Star'

I'm with MelonBaller, they sure waited a long time to do anything, that was made what, three, four years ago? And isn't comical parody/satire pretty much protected, anyway? Eesh...well if it's anything like what happened with Carol Burnett, it'll be thrown out pretty quickly. ^^;

• Huh?

Parody is protected under fair use.

They didn't even need to get Disney's permission for this song. I Need a Jew is classified as being an original song.

Something sounds fishy here... why would a music publisher being the one to initiate the suit and not Disney?
    -Tim

• Banned User

Another pointless lawsuit.
    What's next, Disney suing Family Guy for making Minnie Mouse get naked for a deranged Walt Disney? .

At least When You Wish Upon a Weinstein was the last GOOD episode of Family Guy.

• Pilot EdForceOne

^guess you missed the star wars one
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Rawr...

If I remember the DVD commentary correctly, Seth McFarlane had the episode approved by two Rabbais before he submited the final cut, and they approved based on the fact that Peter learnes his lesson at the end of the episode.
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• Rock Star Minion

Fox could put Bourne out of business with a countersuit.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Blog Entries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ODzIylqKg

sorry, this one is better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGDcpWElPBI

it only sounds like "WYWUS" in a few lines, is that enough to sue on considering that all music is only made of 8 notes(given there are flats, sharps and different pitches, but they are still the same 8 notes)?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    ^guess you missed the star wars one
    I wish I missed that piece of rubbish...sadly I did watch it.

• official corn dog taster

everybody loves to sue...its sad
    OLM!!!
    There is no better park than TDS

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by audibleatom View Post
    everybody loves to sue...its sad
    That's not true! I'm going to sue you for libel!

-Tim

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

McFarlane's description of the original joke idea is priceless.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LrUlRAe6S7Y
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Vehicle rotating backward

I'm more surprised that some small label outfit owns the rights to WYWUAS, since it's virtually the corporate anthem. A shrewd Disney suit would be hoping Fox obliterates these people, so the Mouse can swoop in and buy out the rights to the company's most marketable theme song.

• www.derailedmusic.com

I was wondering if this was going to happen. The thing is, what took them so long? According to IMDB, this episode aired on 11/9/03. And since this episoide has been released on DVD, how does the publisher plan to have all copies destroyed? Fox will probably take the stance that this is satire and that it's perfectly legal anyway, so why is the publisher wasting it's time and money for a measly $150,000.00? Just my thoughts...
    "What's the use in mining nose gold if I can't share it with the townspeople?!?"

Chris Griffin -
    Family Guy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast