Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: 'Transformers 2' 6-26-09

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    I loved it. It was big, loud, and cheesy. Who cares if the plot made sense? Megan Fox is my dream woman, I got to spend almost 3 hours watching cool giant robots kick each other's butts, and lots of stuff blew up. You had to know going in that it wasn't going to be Shakespeare In Love. Classic cinema, this ain't. What is it? Loads of fun.

No, I was expecting a story that would at least make sense. Doesn't have to be Shakespeare. It just has to be not stupid. And for being that long, it didn't have ENOUGH giant robot action.

Wow, I wonder how much MORE money it would have made if it had a good story. I would have already seen it three times if that were the case.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• we jumped out a window

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    She's not my favorite villain from that, but at least she kind of makes sense, satirizing the kind of toy-based show that's typically marketed to girls, while Transformers is typically marketed to boys. Whereas The Fallen was just a less interesting Emperor Palpatine, (with a little Salazar Slitherin thrown into his backstory.) I don't get what purpose he served, and why we didn't just have Megatron as a villain.

I also think Sari is a more interesting human friend than Sam was in this film. Her father is a famous scientist, he gets kidnapped, she has to adjust to living in the Transformers' base...whereas Sam is just like, "Waaaaah, I wanna be normal!" :P.

And I like that Optimus has a rivalry with Sentinel Prime, showing a more "human" side to him.

And that Bulkhead becomes an artist .
    Next to Sam, Sari is so awesome. At least she played a huge part in helping the Autobots acclimate to Earth culture and even lectured Optimus Prime at times.

In the films, there is nothing even remotely approaching the level of characterization that you find in Transformers Animated. How ironic it is that the cartoon characters are more real and the live action characters are cardboard cutout caricatures with little dimension to them.

To me, the series was about Ratchet's redemption as much as it was Optimus' rise from Autobot Academy dropout to Leader of the Autobot Elite Guard. It seems like in Revenge of the Fallen, Jetfire is the "cranky old man" archetype like Ratchet. However, in "Animated", they use this for more than just laughs as we see in flashbacks that Ratchet is very much haunted by failures in his past. Specifically how he failed Arcee and Omega Supreme and when he was able to restore both in the final episodes, that was a great payoff for fans. Prior to the series debut, I would never have imagined that Ratchet would end up as my favorite character.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

I was entertained for 2.5hrs, and liked it. I did want more shoot-em'-up, bang-bang action.

I go to the movies to just have some fun. If I want something that's intellectual stimulating, I'll watch a documentary.

• we jumped out a window

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    I loved it. It was big, loud, and cheesy. Who cares if the plot made sense? Megan Fox is my dream woman, I got to spend almost 3 hours watching cool giant robots kick each other's butts, and lots of stuff blew up. You had to know going in that it wasn't going to be Shakespeare In Love. Classic cinema, this ain't. What is it? Loads of fun.
    It's quite laughable how so many of you invoke the "Were you expecting Citizen Kane?" argument!

I doubt any of us are expecting that. Just because a film is a summer blockbuster does not mean that fun has to come at the expense of good writing and storytelling. There are many films that have delivered in both departments - The Dark Knight, E.T, any of the first 3 Indy films, any of the first 3 Star Wars films, Back to the Future, any Pixar film.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I'm actually shocked that so many people have this "anti-intellectual" attitude about summer movies.

Honestly though, Transformers 2 probably tried too hard to be intellectual. They introduced some crazy half-formed back-story and tried to write a way out of it. I really did just want this to be a more simple "megatron returns and wants revenge" movie.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• we jumped out a window

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I'm actually shocked that so many people have this "anti-intellectual" attitude about summer movies.
    Exactly! With all of us being Disney fans, I would've thought that most, if not all of us expect a little more out of our entertainment options than the average person?

If I apply the "anti intellectual" reasoning to theme park rides then Maliboomer is a fun ride and if you try to bash it, woe on you because can't a ride just be plain old fashioned fun and not have to be Pirates of the Carribean or Indy?

• Circle of Ancients

Not even "Anti-intellectual", but just look at the first Transformers movie as your example of a "non-citizen-kane" summer blockbuster that didn't have an absolutely ridiculous plot.

Honestly, I went in expecting more of the same, and while the robots kicking each other's butt's for 2 1/2 hours was great, I just felt bored after awhile. It drug on for absolutely no good reason. They could have cut out 45 minutes to an hour and it would have been fine.

Check out this weeks Entertainment Weekly and see how they cut out almost an hour from the movie, and it still would have made sense, been more streamlined and MUCH better IMO.

• Circle of Ancients

I couldn't find it online, so I'll give a taste of the EW article here:

Your Movie is too long - Transformers Transformed:

Quote Originally Posted by Entertainment Weekly
    0:00 into film - After ancient transformers squash humans in stone age, optimus prime hunts decepticon in china - (minus 8 minutes) - Once you get past Clan of the cave robot, the Shanghai-set chase scene is pointless, whiplash-inducing fun. But do we really need TWO false starts before the real story stars?

0:08 into film - Tiny Transformers run amok while Sam packs for college - (minus 10 minutes) - Not only does the whole sequence have nothing to do with the story, it's also boring to watch.
    (for those keeping track, that's the first 18 minutes of the film, gone)

0:24 into film - At school, Sam is seduced by an evil hottie-bot and dragged back into the Autobot/Decepticon battle - (minus 7 minutes) - Some things we wished we'd never seen during this particularly brain-numbing stretch. Sam's Mom getting high at college.

1:01 into film - A good guy dies in battle but Sam learns about a powerful object that might revive him - (minus 10 minutes) - Honestly, we've seen Oscar telecasts with few speeches than this movie. No one wants to hear a giant erector set drone on about intergalactic speech or "the matrix of leadership", so let's dump all this talky exposition and get on with the action.

2:00 into film - Sam and Co. try to stop the decepticons from activating a sun-destrying machine - (minus 5 minutes) - Among Sam's autobot alleies are vaguely offensive robo-twins who keep popping up with increasing jar-jar binks style obnoxiousness. Let's dismantle them and Fox's creepy pet decepticon.

2:05 into film - Thanks to an unexpected ally sam turns the tables on the decepticons. Climactic battle ensues - (minus 3 minutes) - Apparently the best way to escape a fiery explosion is to jog sexily toward the camera like Bo Derek in 10. If we cut out all the slo-mo run-and-dives, we might actually have enough attention span to care about who's shooting what.
    (I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with the slo-mo running sexily part)

2:09 into film - This being a Michael Bay film, the battle rages for awhile - (minus 12 minutes) - Stuck beneath a raging decepticon, John Turturro's Agent Simmons declares he's "directly below the enemy's scrotum". The line only takes a second, but were retroactively cutting him out of the whole film as punishment.
    Total Runnning Time - 149 minutes
    EW's Running Time - 94 minutes

• Minion

Honestly, it was a bit long, but I feel that the scene with the little robots was added for humor but to also lead up to how Sam starts getting these visions on where to find the matrix of leadership and the energon supply. Some of it, that they left in the film, could've been a buttload of deleted scenes or a directors cut for the dvd. But alas, we could keep harping on and on about it being too long or what could've been taken out (like a particular naked rear end scene, two dogs humping, or mommy dearest being high at college) but it ain't going to change anything, and it won't make the movie any shorter. It is as it is, and there's nothing to do about it.

• Circle of Ancients

According to Box Office Mojo, Transformers fell-off 61% from last weekend. Other older releases such as The Hangover (off 38%), The Proposal (off 31%) and Up (off 50%).

• Minion

According to Yahoo! movies and IMDB, Transformers 2 and Ice Age 3 TIED for the top spot at the box office this weekend. Both earning an equal $42.5 million. A rare tie.

Yahoo! Movies - Weekend Box Office and Buzz

'Ice Age' sequel heats up worldwide box office (Reuters) - Yahoo! Movies

"Ice Age" sequel heats up worldwide box office (Reuters)

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - In a rare tie, reigning champ "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" and the new cartoon "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs" shared the top spot at the holiday weekend box office in North America.

According to studio estimates issued Sunday, the movies each sold about $42.5 million worth of tickets during the three-day U.S. Independence Day holiday weekend.

But "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs," the third movie in 20th Century Fox's family franchise, was clearly the top pick on a worldwide basis. It earned $148 million from 101 foreign markets, which the News Corp-owned studio said was the sixth-biggest opening overall.

Including its North American tally of $67.5 million since opening Wednesday, the global total stands at $215.5 million.

Paramount's "Transformers" sequel earned $55 million from 62 markets during its second weekend, taking the foreign haul to $298 million. The global total stands at $591 million, taking the robot sequel past Columbia Pictures' "Angels & Demons" ($474 million) to become the biggest film of the year.

In North America, the lucrative summer season is 5 percent ahead of last year's record-setting haul in terms of ticket sales with $2.3 billion banked so far, said industry analyst Paul Dergarabedian, president of Hollywood.com Box-Office. But he doubted the number of tickets sold (currently 319 million) would exceed the modern record of 653 million set in 2002.

He said it appeared to be unprecedented for two films to be tied, but noted that an eventual victor will be determined on Monday, when the studios release their final data.

Johnny Depp's gangster saga "Public Enemies" got off to a strong start at No. 3 with $26.2 million, a rare adult-oriented drama in a summer field dominated by effects-driven action movies. As with "Ice Age," Universal Pictures' $100 million release opened Wednesday to get a foothold ahead of holiday distractions. Its five-day total stands at $41 million.

Both Fox and Universal declared themselves thrilled with the initial results. Comparisons with the first two "Ice Age" movies, released in 2002 and 2006, are difficult because they came out on Fridays in March. They eventually earned $176 million and $195 million domestically, respectively. The new film cost $90 million to make, said Fox.

Some question marks did surround director Michael Mann's "Public Enemies," in which Depp plays Depression-era bank robber John Dillinger, because moviegoers have opted for fantasy over serious dramas in recent months.

"Good news for people who like films about grown-ups. The genre is not dead," said Adam Fogelson, Universal's president of marketing and distribution.

"Transformers" has earned $293 million after 12 days of release in the United States and Canada, about $100 million more than its 2007 predecessor had earned in the same period. The sequel also surpassed Paramount's "Star Trek" ($250 million) to become the biggest movie of the year in the markets.

Paramount is a unit of Viacom Inc. Universal is a unit of General Electric Co's NBC Universal.
    Last edited by AidensDaddy; 07-06-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Oops, forgot to wrap quote tags around it

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Transformers Revenge of the Fallen' looks to have rolled by 'Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs' for top spot at the domestic box office, $42.4 million to $41.6 million. The 'Transformers' sequel now has a domestic total of $293.6 million in its 12th day of release.

'Transformers' edges past 'Ice Age'
    Last edited by ALIASd; 07-06-2009 at 01:04 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    'Transformers Revenge of the Fallen' looks to have rolled by 'Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs' for top spot at the domestic box office, $42.4 million to $41.6 million. The 'Transformers' sequel now has a domestic total of $293.6 million in its 12th day of release.

'Transformers' edges past 'Ice Age'
    I knew the numbers from the tie just couldn't be the final numbers. But they made it sound like they were.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

He said it appeared to be unprecedented for two films to be tied, but noted that an eventual victor will be determined on Monday, when the studios release their final data.
    Their article was from Sunday.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Minion

I guess it was a photo finish, per say.