Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Charlie And The Chocolate Factory

Just back from seeing it. It was quite a marvelous and enjoyable picture. The effects are visually stunning. Victoria has read the book and says it stays quite close with one exception. (I won't tell any spoilers here.) Johnny Depp is a little weird, though. Maybe a little too much. Sometimes just a little creepy, even. Otherwise, do go see it on the big screen. Great eye candy and very well done.

BTW: Trailers included a new Tim Burton film, Corpse Bride, to be released September. Looks like great fun. Very much in the mode of Nightmare Before Christmas. Also coming is a new Wallace & Grommett feature!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• IZTUAZU!!!

Re: Charlie And The Chocolate Factory

Saw this on one of my last 2 days working at IMAX. Burton, Depp, Roy, and Highmore were brilliant. It was sort of like a cross between Big Fish and Edward Scissorhands, only no one died.

Very true to Dahl's book, in fact, a Dahl reference is made when...
    Spoiler
    Charlie buys the lucky bar in the candy store. A magazine with the word Dahlias (Spelled wrong probably) is shown in the background.
    J.B. Opie

"Doubt is the rust of a feeble mind. The only way to seize the future is to grasp the present. Let's Go!"

-Chairman Clench, Alien Encounter

I enjoyed it very much. I actually thought Depps characterization was marvelous but nothing will ever compare to wilders genious character! Overall a very well done picture. I saw it 2 times today second time was even more enjoyable than the first.

• Reaver of Souls

I'm a fan of both Wilder and the original movie, but I think this is a far superior piece of work. No one will ever be able to compete with Wilder in his characterizations (Young Frankenstein is still, in my opinion, his best), and no one really tries. This movie is such a different animal than the first, it really is like apples and oranges, which is all for the best...

The always great Mr. Depp was terrific. He was so out there. So much in his own world. You could see the awkwardness of a recluse trying to interact with people, and failing. It was wonderful, the creepy subtle touches he gave Wonka. I was laughing so hard at this movie my eyes were watering. Absolutely terrific!

And it is great, great, great to hear Danny singing again. Makes me wish he'd release another vocal album...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Back home :-(

I'm with you Reaver, I love the original movie, but I really feel that this new one is far superior. Again, like you said, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

I had VERY high expectations for this movie and I have to say, they were fully met Danny Elfman has also blown me away yet again and I think Depp's performance was amazing... pushes the edge several times, but just dances on it

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

It was brilliant. Depp plays him so odd and just perfect, and the Little boy as Charlie is great! (loved them both in "Finding Neverland" as well) My Son (11) says it it now his favorite movie!

The Burton "Feel" is unmistakable and just great!

The Elfman Soundtrack will be a classic.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Just got back from seeing it. LOVED IT!!! Tim Burton's best since Sleepy Hollow. Really.

For the record, I respect the place the original has in movie history and the place it has grown to have in the American psyche But I just can't stand the original. I know I am in the minority.

Tim Burton himself had said that he never really liked the original because of it's uneven tone and how it lost the feel of Dahl's book. Here Burton produces an often word-for-word adaptation of the source material, even adding flourishes that work.

Depp's Wonka is a sociopathic wizard of candy who prides himself in his solitude while concoting things like Everlasting Gobbstoppers or chocolate ice cream that doesn't melt. He invites five children to his candy palace and one by one the children meet fates because of their own faults. In this version Wonka is much more openly aserbic and glib with his guests and enjoys seeing them meet sticky ends.

The original was creepy little morality tale dressed up like a family film. The newer version acknowledges it's creepy, offbeat roots and has fun with it. Too, Burton was the perfect filmaker to retry this classic story because his sensiblities are much like Roald Dahl's. Subversive, but warm hearted.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Having a Grand Day!

Semi-sweet and Nuts.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

I want to Shake you firmly by the hand...

• Just Me

The beginning of the movie reminded me of Edward Scissorhands. Over all I thought it was very well done! I also seemed to be the only one who found the Disney references amusing.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

I LOVED Tim Burtons Homage to "Small World"

Spoiler
    The Willie Wonka Song, sickly gooey sweet, then it BURNS, EXPLODES, BURN BABY BURN!....then there is Willie "I thought it started a bit slow, But the finale....WOW!" classic Burton/Elfman!

• Iron-Clad Allie

As Willie Wonka, Johnny Depp does give one the WILLIES at times - but then it's in his name. Besides, a wealthy, reclusive and inventive genious would be full of all kinds of ideosancracies. The first Wonka, Gene Wilder. was a little too reserved. Loved watching the spoiled brats fall victem to horrid fates - especially the girl that turned purple and elastic, and the boy that ended up looking like a stretched out and flat Gumby.

Judging by the fairly long and action packed trailer, the Corpse Bride looks like it will be terrific.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    Judging by the fairly long and action packed trailer, the Corpse Bride looks like it will be terrific.
    Did you notice the music they used?
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    Did you notice the music they used?
    I noticed the first 1/3 of the trailer was from Nightmare, which was awesome. The rest was new stuff.
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I saw it last night. LOVED it! I always liked the original film, but this one just tookt he cake for me. Johnny Depp was absolutely brilliant as Wonka. Bizarre and creepy, yet just hilarious. The whole movie was just total eye candy.

I totally lost it laughing though when...

Spoiler
    ...in the first room of the factory, WOnka says "Everything in this room is edible. Even me, but that would be called canibalism."

The Oompa Loompas were a riot. Loved their songs, especially the last one.

And... I. Loved. The. Squirrels.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast