Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Hannah Montana' tickets soar in O.C.

'Hannah Montana' tickets soar

Resellers' prices reach $2,095 for sold-out Nov. 3 Anaheim appearance of teen megastar Miley Cyrus at Honda Center.

By ADAM TOWNSEND
    THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
    Thursday, October 11, 2007

ANAHEIM Some Orange County parents have been scrambling to get their kids tickets to see teen singer and television star Miley Cyrus also known as her character, Hannah Montana.

Tickets are running as high as $2,095 from certain resellers for Cyrus' Honda Center appearance Nov. 3. Some CraigsList ads show people still have Orange County tickets available, but there are also fervent pleas like a listing begging to pay $1,100 for two tickets.

That's a lot for tickets originally sold for no more than $63 at face value.
    "I have a Black Card from American Express through my husband's work they can get you anything I called and they said, 'the closest we have is $1,500,' " said Tracy Kurtz of Yorba Linda, who has three Hannah Montana fanatics for daughters.

Honda Center President and Chief Executive Tim Ryan said the seats sold out in a couple minutes of going on sale. He said the center has hosted about 480 shows in its 15 years, and few concerts have sold out faster.

"This particular concert sold out in minutes," Ryan said. "I would put this in the top five percent of shows we've had."

Though Ticketmaster has sued a software company that created a program that lets resellers buy thousands of tickets at a time over the Web, it's the 7 to 12 age group mainly girls that create the demand for Hannah Montana Tickets.

"It's kind of about her character," said Brandi Skaggs, 8, of Yorba Linda, "She's funny and she's pretty."
    http://www.ocregister.com/news/ticke...center-montana

Re: 'Hannah Montana' tickets soar in O.C.

I'm finding this more and more hilarious each time I read this! Over $2K for tickets for a concert by someone who's daddy (Billy Ray) only had one hit so he's using his daughter to stay in the spotlight! You can get 4 decent seats for the 2008 super bowl for under $2K!! - and that's 2 hours longer! I guess what they say is true...."There's A Sucker Born Every Minute".

Oh, BTW....paying more that what the face value is - isn't that called "SCALPING"! And isn't that a crime in the US?!

• Sea Creature

Quote Originally Posted by gaughey View Post
    I'm finding this more and more hilarious each time I read this! Over $2K for tickets for a concert by someone who's daddy (Billy Ray) only had one hit so he's using his daughter to stay in the spotlight".
    I totally disagree. Miley auditioned on her own and the people at Disney offered Billy Ray the job. It was never part of his plan to do the show. It's always been about her.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Oh, BTW....paying more that what the face value is - isn't that called "SCALPING"! And isn't that a crime in the US?!
    In most states, including California, it is perfectly legal.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Sock Puppet

Oh, BTW....paying more that what the face value is - isn't that called "SCALPING"!
    I don't think you know anything about scalping or the motivations of Miley Cyrus or her father.
    Last edited by Pressler69; 10-15-2007 at 01:53 AM.

• Rock Star Minion

"This particular concert sold out in minutes," Ryan said. "I would put this in the top five percent of shows we've had."
    Please. Technology at Ticketmaster (and everywhere) has improved such that no one waits in lines anymore to get tickets. If there are 20,000 people who want to see a show, and all want the best tickets (or any tickets), and they all call at 10:00, they will all get a ticket within minutes. No busy signal, no actual person on the other end of the phone taking your credit card number, no going to Blockbuster/Tower(RIP)/MusicPlus(RIP) and getting a wrist band and hoping your number is close (and above) the number announced as the first.
    Can't remember the last time I stood in line for tickets. Bruce in 1999 or 2000, I think.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Scalping laws are not aligned well with basic property rights. If someone buys a ticket, he should be the owner of it, and he should be able to transfer that ownership and its privileges to another.
    The argument against this is the assumption that the privileges of the ticket belong to some other entity, and only that entity can transfer the privileges to others.
    The counterargument to that is, "Don't give me a physical ticket, then. Make a list of people who have entrance privileges and check them in at the gate."

Miley's schedule created a shortage, relative to demand. She should simply do more shows, or, next time around, do more shows.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    If someone buys a ticket, he should be the owner of it, and he should be able to transfer that ownership and its privileges to another.
    I agree, but the issue is that automated programs might be buying up all the tickets first before individuals have a chance to buy them. Ticketmaster doesn't want these bots on their site and are doing what they can to stop them.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pressler69 View Post
    I agree, but the issue is that automated programs might be buying up all the tickets first before individuals have a chance to buy them. Ticketmaster doesn't want these bots on their site and are doing what they can to stop them.
    I agree. That totally sucks. I'm not sure if anything can be done retroactively to fix this.

Proactively, here's my idea: don't use the internet for purchases for the floor seats or the lowest bowl of seats. Those go to live sales of some limited number of agencies in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scalping laws are not aligned well with basic property rights. If someone buys a ticket, he should be the owner of it, and he should be able to transfer that ownership and its privileges to another.
    The argument against this is the assumption that the privileges of the ticket belong to some other entity, and only that entity can transfer the privileges to others.
    The counterargument to that is, "Don't give me a physical ticket, then. Make a list of people who have entrance privileges and check them in at the gate."

Miley's schedule created a shortage, relative to demand. She should simply do more shows, or, next time around, do more shows.
    That's fine and all, but you just answered my question....You said "If someone buys a ticket, he should be the owner of it, and he should be able to transfer that ownership and it's priveleges to another", Transfer -- that means giving the tix to another individual, *not* selling them!! To sell them is to scalp them! EOA!

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

One way to cut down on scalping would be to limit the people who can purchase the tickets directly from Ticketmaster. I recently bought tickets to see Garth Brooks and your credit card billing address had to be in a certain zip code or your order would be cancelled. This particular concert sold out in less than a minute, so 8 extra shows were added. Personally, I think this is a smart way to do it- limit the purchasers to living within a certain area of the concert to ensure the fans have access and then add more dates if needed. Concerts are a way for artists to make more money than they possibly can through record sales, so this seems like a pretty smart way to do it.

As far as scalping, I know that different states have different rules. In Minnesota, you cannot pay more than twice face value for a resold ticket. I do think these parents are crazy for spending that much on tickets. I am not a parent yet, but I just can't see the value in it, you could do so much better things for your kids with $2000. And years from now, I seriously doubt that seeing Miley Cirus in concert will be the highlight of their lives. They will probably feel like huge nerds, like I do when I remember how much I wanted to see New Kids on the Block.

Basically, I feel like there are ways that artists can ensure that their fans have access to them, but most would rather get the free publicity and don't give a rat's patootie about who is in the audience.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
    I am not a parent yet, but I just can't see the value in it, you could do so much better things for your kids with $2000.

They will probably feel like huge nerds, like I do when I remember how much I wanted to see New Kids on the Block.
    I agree with you there. I wouldn't pay more than the face value for ANY show. But the problem is, people are paying them. These will be the same "princesses" you will see in "My Super Sweet 16" in a few years yelling at Mommy because she couldn't get Justin Timberlake to sing at her party.

Yeah, the NKOTB thing was crazy. They were playing at Magic Mountain one time when we were there and it was absolutely insane.

• Rock Star Minion

That's fine and all, but you just answered my question....You said "If someone buys a ticket, he should be the owner of it, and he should be able to transfer that ownership and its priveleges to another", Transfer -- that means giving the tix to another individual, *not* selling them!! To sell them is to scalp them! EOA!
    Certainly you don't expect someone to give something valuable away, for free?
    The owner would be able to do so, but he probably wouldn't without compensation close to market value.
    Calling it "scalping" doesn't make it any worse than it is. You think that works on me?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I agree with you there. I wouldn't pay more than the face value for ANY show. But the problem is, people are paying them.
    Um, what's the problem? Whose money is it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast