• (harmlessly)

Interesting Article on the Opposing Caricatures of Race in Dumbo & Jungle Book

Check out this link for a short but very well written article on the two very different ways Disney animation caricatured blacks in 'Dumbo' and 'The Jungle Book.'

I know that this sort of thing usually polarizes message boards, so let me warn folks now: If you're one of those people that see no wrong-doing in the doings of Disney, your veiws will be challenged. That said, if you're one of those Disneyphiles interested in discussion and dissection, read on. The article actually spotlights 'Dumbo' for it's positive and (at the time) accurate portrayal/caricature of Black Men.

http://www.regent.edu/acad/schcom/rojc/wainer.html
    Last edited by stalking lily chou-chou; 07-16-2005 at 02:36 PM.
    The Hedgehog's Dilemma

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Wink Re: Interesting Article on the Opposing Caricatures of Race in Dumbo & Jungle Book

Very interesting.

I didn't really read the piece on the Jungle Book but was very interested in what was to be said about Dumbo. I was expecting something differant and was pleasently suprised with the author's opinions.

I saw Dumbo at a very early age. and the sequence with the crows was the coolest part of the movie. Little did I know that I would come to love the musical style the crows were putting down. "When I See An Elephant Fly" was my first exposure to Urban Vocal Group Harmony (albeit a very early example ala the Ink Spots/ Mills Bros.). the style would evolve into what would be called "Doo Wop" and further to Soul. When I discovered the music in my teens I never thought how this sequence in Dumbo inspired my musical tastes but I know recognize it.

Thansk for posting the article. Very nice!

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.