View Poll Results: How did you like Elizabeth: The Golden Age?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loved it!

4 80.00%
  • It was good.

1 20.00%
  • It was alright.

0 0%
  • Poorest version about Queen Elizabeth I, ever.

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Delawarean Girl

Re: Elizabeth: The Golden Age (reviews)

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Isabella Clara was King Phillip II's daughter.

At the time of the movie, England was a protestant state.
    Thanks for clearing that up.

^ DW: That's who she is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infanta...genia_of_Spain

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Thanks for clearing it up everyone. I knew my memory was a bit iffy, but atleast I knew she had something to do with Spain .

• my two sunshines

I was searching for the historical accuracy of the movie - just for giggles - I wanted to see if Bess was an actual historical character but I couldn't find anything out about the ladies in waiting but it was accurate that the ladies in waiting had to get the Queen's permission to marry, have a child, or even date someone - I don't know if Elizabeth had a 'thing' for Drake - I always thought it was Dudley and Dudley's son that she had the longtime 'thing' for

I dont' know if the Church of England back in those days was Protestant - it was new that the monarch was the head of the church, which of course we all know started with Henry VIII - I believe back in those days they were learning what to do and how to unite the country with one religion - which we all know that most wars, skirmishes, fighting in history and today is all about religion

I am a HUGE history buff - my big love is early European history - actually until about 1900 - I love to study, learn about the early colonies, relationships with other countries - how the whole political, social and religious scene was in early Europe - geez I even did some research about the East India Trading Company - which we all know was born under Elizabeth I rule by her hand - so when movies like this come out I'm always researching different aspects - yes I'm weird! LOL

• Man O Lantern

It wasn't Francis Drake in the movie, Trac, it was Sir Walter Raleigh, and it has been hinted that she had a thing for him and kept him in England against his will. But for sure she had the thing for Dudley and his step-son. I love that part of her history. The Raleigh stuff was played up for the movie.

And yes, since before Elizabeth's time, the ladies in waiting had to have permission to marry and often had husbands chosen for them for political and financial reasons. Those unions had to be politically advantageous to the queen or king to proceed.

Walter Raleigh did marry Bessie Throckmorton, who was the queen's lady in waiting. The Throckmortons had a complicated relationship with the Tudors. Here's the page on Bessie's dad-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Throckmorton

Here's more info on Walter Raleigh--
    http://www.britishexplorers.com/woodbury/raleigh.html

I did about a billion reports on him when I lived in North Carolina.
    Last edited by stinkerbell; 10-15-2007 at 11:22 AM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trac View Post
    Also Isabella was a child - it was her father who waged war - when Elizabeth said that the ships carry the Spanish Inquisition - geez, Monty Python jumped into my head! LOL
    Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

It wasn't Walter Drake in the movie, Trac, it was Sir Walter Raleigh, and it has been hinted that she had a thing for him and kept him in England against his will. But for sure she had the thing for Dudley and his step-son. I love that part of her history. The Raleigh stuff was played up for the movie.

And yes, since before Elizabeth's time, the ladies in waiting had to have permission to marry and often had husbands chosen for them for political and financial reasons. Those unions had to be politically advantageous to the queen or king to proceed.

Walter Raleigh did marry Bessie Throckmorton, who was the queen's lady in waiting. The Throckmortons had a complicated relationship with the Tudors. Here's the page on Bessie's dad-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Throckmorton

Here's more info on Walter Raleigh--
    http://www.britishexplorers.com/woodbury/raleigh.html

I did about a billion reports on him when I lived in North Carolina.
    Like Trac, I'm a huge history buff too, and I often research stuff before going to check out new historical films.

You're right about Raleigh Stinkerbelle, but that was a rumor that has been passed down through time. It was also said she had a thing for Sir Francis Drake (who declared California was a colony of England. As did the Russians and the Spanish), and Robert Devereux, 2nd Earl of Essex .

In college I took a course on Elizabethean England. The professor of the course was very good, but he had a theory about Elizabeth, that many of us felt was a joke. He believed that Elizabeth was actually a man. He believed that the real Elizabeth died at a young age and her wards had a son about the same age as her. Worried that they might lose thier heads if Elizabeth's death got out, they raised thier son as a girl, calling him 'Elizabeth'. Personally I found it far fetched.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Man O Lantern

Far-fetched, but fun!

I am obsessed with Elizabethan England. I know more about the rumors and lives of the Tudor family and their allies and foes than I do about my own grandparents. I live for this stuff.

• my two sunshines

It wasn't Francis Drake in the movie, Trac, it was Sir Walter Raleigh, and it has been hinted that she had a thing for him and kept him in England against his will. But for sure she had the thing for Dudley and his step-son. I love that part of her history. The Raleigh stuff was played up for the movie.
    Geez DOH! (Simpson Doh!) on me! I wrote Drake and was thinking Raleigh - where the heck did Sir Francis Drake come from???? I know he was a scoundrel also but geez, here I was going on about being a history buff LOLOLOLOLOL - I sure got my name wrong!

I really am a geek on history - honestly!

• Man O Lantern

It's okay, because it took me hours before I realized I'd written "Walter Drake" in my reply.

Francis Drake: http://sirfrancisdrakehistory.net/

Walter Drake: http://www.wdrake.com/walterdrake/Default.aspx

Not quite the same. If you need to discover land, Francis Drake is your guy. But if you need a bra-les bra or a blackhead extractor, better call on Walter Drake.

We saw this movie opening weekend. I absolutely loved all of the Queen's earrings!!! Such gorgeous gem stones. I'm curious if in one of the scenes the gems in her necklace are supposed to be colored sapphires. Too pretty!

We liked the movie well enough. But in our group of 3 (me, my husband, and 17 year old son) we all liked the first Elizabeth with Cate Blanchett better. Our opinions might change once it comes out on DVD, though. We never saw the first one on the big screen. LOL, subtitles at times can come in very handy. Always love Geoffrey Rush.
    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

• Infinitized!

Great movie. I saw it two nights ago. I think it will get some Oscar nominations.

• Man O Lantern

I saw it again last night with my 12 year old daughter and loved it even more. The first time I saw it, I'd caught that there was a Throckmorton character in the credits, I able to hear the name Bess Throckmorton this time. And Francis Drake on the ship with Raleigh.

I thought Cate Blanchett was wonderful. Her facial expressions alone should earn her an Oscar nomination.

My 12 year old was in heaven. This movie was right up her alley.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12