• white and nerdy

Propaganda only works for the uninformed.

Watched Fast Food Nation.

We could have seen Troy McClure at the beginning saying. "Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such propaganda films as, "Water: The Loud Killer" and "Smarties: Not for the Smart." By that I mean that Fast Food Nation is a caricature of a propaganda film. Nothing more.

At first I thought I could at least get into the story. The characters are presented in an interesting way, but ultimately they are used only to spout off questionable statistics and opinion. None of them reach a level of story telling that would make this anything more than a smear campaign against.... who?

Another problem with this is it seems to argue against itself.
    • Fecal Matter is in almost all raw meat people buy. That's why you don't eat raw meat. Fecal matter is also in most organic vegetables and fruit you buy. Please tell me you cook that. This isn't anything new or a product of fast food. It's just the way it is.
    • The problems with the beef plant, in the film, are based on hearsay and rumor. You never see any proof in the film of any wrongdoing. Weird. Show us the meat line with poo on it or something.
    Some of the later scenes were the most humorous. The teenage girl turned eco-warrior who try and free the cows at a feed lot was.... wow. Do you know what would happen to cows from a feed lot if you set them free? They would starve to death, get hit by cars, generally they would die slowly and painfully. In the movie they didn't leave the pens because "that genetically modified crap they eat probably tastes wonderful" (get it? Get it? we are the cows!!!) The scenes with the other eco-warriors is interesting in that it shows how ignorant the average person is about the food industry.
    The Mexican wife who gets screwed from behind (literally) to get a job on the killing floor and is overcome by sadness and disgust when she sees the cows die. First, Mexicans don't really have an issue with animals dying to provide meat. Most of them, especially the kinds who flee to America for a better life, have killed their own animals many times for meat. That she would be overcome with the blood and guts of a cow is unrealistic. Second, is she really more upset about dead cows than cheating on her husband and getting sexually abused? Really?

I've been on the killing floors of meat processing plants. I know what goes into meat for fast food, hot dogs, Jell-O, and a bevy of other items. No, it's not something I'd put in my kids easter basket, but it's the way it is. I guess the horror of a cow dying is something for the ignorant masses to panic at.

Probably the wost thing about the movie is it missed its mark on exposing the fast food industry. The film "Super-size Me" for all it's inaccuracies and self-serving bull crap at least offered a unique view with humor and real concerns. Fast Food Nation only gives you a vague feeling that you should feel bad about eating at Arby's. (I usually feel bad after eating at Arby's but that's another thread.)

Bottom line. The movie is only worth watching as an example of bad propaganda.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Fastest Man Alive

Re: Propaganda only works for the uninformed.

As always. The more you know about the food industry.....the more you realise you want to know LESS about the food industry.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• Huh?

Well, there's always one solution: Stop eating.

Just don't stop eating certain things. Just stop eating everything. If everybody would stop eating, we would be able to save all the cows and vegetables while making sure that absolutely nothing questionable goes into our bodies. And cows won't die.

But that hurts the farmers -- so part two of the plan: We buy cows as pets. Then we buy our fruits and vegetables from local farm markets only. But don't eat them. Just have them around for decoration or feed it to the cows. This should also greatly hurt Wal-Mart, who's nothing but an evil corporation that wants money.

But that's for another thread.
    -Tim

• white and nerdy

It just amazes me what people believe. I remember a debate I was having with someone about the Disney World College Program. They were saying that *get this* everyone lined up naked and were inspected for lice before they were issued costumes.
    This is an outright lie. I tried to say it as such but everyone kept saying that it's okay, it was his opinion. Since when is a lie a valid opinion?
    I'll tell you since when, since our culture has created such a nameless faceless mass of people, while simultaneously telling everyone they are special and worthwhile. People need to find something in their lives that make them special or stand out. Every sucker in school has ADHD or dyslexia or some other various ailment to make them special, leaving those who really suffer out of it. Everyone has to make these moral standpoints on completely insignificant little things that mean absolutely zero.
    Let's all stand together against the fast food industry, or Walmart, or global warming, or some other pop-culture inanity. This is what defines this generation of Americans. We are very dedicated to grand concepts we don't really understand but had a celebrity tell us about. We are dead against ideas, politicians, businesses or whatever as long as we are able to open our mouths and pretend whats coming out is of any significance.

wow... that was a hell of a rant.

Sorry.

Continue.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

The book was WAAAAY better.

And it was filmed in Colorado Springs. This is our claim to fame.

That and two-faced politicos.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Circle of Ancients

I knew there was a reason I don't eat organic veggies.

• Man O Lantern

The book was MUCH better than the movie. That was a tough book to adapt--I was shocked they even attempted it.

• Banned User

Well, in a world that gives Al "Desperate to Be Relevant" Gore the Nobel prize for the most ironically titled work of fiction ever made, there's really no boundaries for just what nonsense and how much of it people will accept. Look at Michael Moore. That bologna stuffed windbag has made a huge career out of it. Americans just want to be spoon-fed. Reading and researching is simply too much work for the average person these days.

• Man O Lantern

Now I keep reading this thread title as "uniformed."

And I think that propaganda only works for the uniformed.

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Now I keep reading this thread title as "uniformed."

And I think that propaganda only works for the uniformed.

I needed a laugh like that.
    Thanks.