Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS!!

Loved the avalon series, but you should try Darkover!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS!!

noted- I have been looking for something new to tackle!
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

FYI: they've been bundling the books lately, so usually you can get 3 books in one.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Rides against injustice

Spoiler
    One thing that caught my attention about the battle with Snape was he was giving Harry advice. He said something like "Blocked again and again until you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed!" This could be seen as taunting however. Hmm...
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Rock Star Minion

Snape, er, Professor Snape, er, once-Professor Snape (oh, whatever!) was still teaching Harry, even then. Obviously still good.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

After the initial pensieve incident between Snape and Harry, I kept hoping for some kind of reconciliation between them. Like Harry would understand Snape better, and Snape would stop blaming Harry for his father's behavior.

...But I think we know Rowling enough to expect she'll leave them distant allies if he's good still at all.

• Disney Memory Maker

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS

1) Dumbledore- I think Dumbledore really died because of two parts of the book. First of all, I felt that Fawks flying off was a right-in-your-face symbol. However, I finally determined he was dead because Dumbledore repeated one of the lines Harry said. Harry said that he felt safe because he was with Dumbledore. Somewhere in between giving Dumbledore the water and arriving back at Hogwarts, Dumbledore told Harry that he felt safe because he was with him. Lord Voldemort only feared one person...Dumbledore. By saying that one line, I now think that the one wizard Voldemort fears will be Harry.
    2) Snape- I have no idea what to think of Snape. My brain says that he is good. He has done so many things to help Harry over the course of the 6 books. Also, Dumbledore trusted him. Doesn't Harry ever understand that Dumbledore is ALWAYS right. I mean, every time Harry doubts Dumbledore, Harry turns out to be wrong. On the other hand though, I really want Snape to be bad. I can't stand him anymore and at the end of this book, I wanted Harry to kill him so badly.
    3) Book 7- I think Book 7 will be the best one yet (although it will be hard to beat this one). I think it's going to start out with Harry and his two friends searching for the Horcruxes. Eventually though they are going to have to return to Hogwarts. Perhaps one of the Horcruxes are found within its walls. I just don't think she would make the last book without Hagrid, McGonagal, Ginny, and the other school people.
    4) Movie- I too think that Richard Hariss was a much better Dumbledore. To me, he was so much more funny, happy, knowledgable, and he fit the part more. To me, the new Dumbledore is a bit too mean and does not seem all-knowing. Also, I don't think they will need to replace any of the characters because of age issues. For one thing, the actors are pretty much the same age as the character would be in each respective book. Also, in Santa Clause 2, the same actor who played Bernard in the first movie reprised his role (although he was in his mid-twenties by then). With a bit of makeup, he looked almost exactly like he did in the original.
    5) Dobby and Kreecher- Why did Harry not call Dobby and Kreecher to help with the battle. We already know that Dobby is willing to do anything Harry says (and is good with magic too) and that Kreecher has to do what Harry says.
    6) I don't think both Harry and Voldemort will die. I'm not sure how Neville will play into the next book.

I wanted to say something else, but after reading these 6 pages, I completely forgot.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• The Original Disney Doll

I don't think Snape is the Half Blood Prince, even though he said he was and here's why:

When Harry was spending Xmas at the Burrow, he asked Lupin if he knew anything about the HBP. Lupin said no, never heard of him, it wasn't James blah blah blah, BUT...then he asks Harry if there was a date in the book. Harry checks this and sure enough it was dated 50 years ago, so Harry reasons it can't be his father or any of his friends. So that means it can't be Snape either because he was not at Hogwarts 50 years ago; he was there when James was.
    There are only 4 people we know for sure who were at Hogwarts 50 years ago: Tom Riddle, Dumbledore, Hagrid and Headmaster Dippet. I think Hagrid can be safely ruled out, for one I don't think he was bright enough to come up with all that stuff and anyway he was expelled before he would have taken advanced potions. Dumbledore was the Transfiguration professor and not likely to leave something like that lying around. Dippett is too minor a character to hold such importance. That leaves us with Tom Riddle...I know what you are going to say...JKR said it wasn't Voldemort. But she didn't say it wasn't Tom Riddle. Hey if Dobby can use this reasoning (CoS) then maybe JKR is using it too.

Another thing I was thinking was that that book can't have been lying around Hogwarts for 50 years! Perhaps it was given purposely to Harry (by Slughorn? I think he was up to more then was let on...maybe not such a good guy). I don't know...I have to think about this one some more.

Someone mentioned what Snape said to Harry about closing his mind. I think this is an important clue. Maybe Harry was seeing something that didn't really happen. Like Dumbledore dying. And Fawkes could have taken off to join Dumbledore. Maybe this is stretching it a bit but I just don't want him to be dead!

I should also mention that I had loads of guesses about what woud happen in HBP and every one of them was dead wrong. So...

Oh...someone said that they thought one of the horcruxes was Harry and that he'd have to die too in order for Voldy (sorry JKR) to die too. But I doubt it. Interesting premise though...

• Disney Memory Maker

Didn't the book originally belong to Snapes mother and was passed to Snape. I could have sworn I saw that in the book. Just because the book is 50 years old, doesn't mean that the Half-Blood Prince was its original owner.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Puppy Cuddles

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Didn't the book originally belong to Snapes mother and was passed to Snape. I could have sworn I saw that in the book. Just because the book is 50 years old, doesn't mean that the Half-Blood Prince was its original owner.

-Michael
    This is correct. The book was Snape's mom's and he just made notes in it. The date is still a bit of a plot hole, but it can be loosely expained.
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

• My cuties!

Someone mentioned what Snape said to Harry about closing his mind. I think this is an important clue. Maybe Harry was seeing something that didn't really happen.
    Wasn't he kind of warning him to close his mind since Harry sucks at Occulmency (?sp)? Might be a clue that Snape is good....

• Former Epcot CM

Okay I finished the book three days ago but I never saw this thread! ggrrrr!!!!
    Anyway......Horcrux time!

We already know of;
    1) The Diary
    2) Hufflepuff's Goblet
    3) Slytherin's Jewel
    4) Possibly Nagini...

Now, there will definitely be something belonging to both Ravenclaw and Gryffindor. Dumbledore said Riddle was fascinated with the mythology and magic inside Hogwarts Castle, and was interested in anything to do with the four founders so there will be something of great importance from each founder. I mean, if Riddle held something belonging to Helga Hufflepuff in high regard, he will regard Rowena Ravenclaw and Godric Gryffindor's possessions much higher. And that leaves us with one unknown Horcrux...

Now, people I have spoke to have said Harry's wand, Voldemort's wand, or even Harry. But if Harry's wand was to be destroyed to make Voldemort mortal, what could Harry kill him with? Remember, Voldemort will still be just as nasty, but there is now a glimmer of hope you might kill him. Same for Voldemort's wand - he ain't that stupid, to be mortal AND to have no wand. And if it was Harry - Voldemort would die anyway, one cannot live while the other perishes.

I am worried about how the magical world will cope without Dumbledore - he was the ONLY wizard Voldemort feared. Now there is nothing left to fear.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom
    This cracked me up!

I agree that she left TONS of questions to be answered in only one book! It had better be a thick book!
    Oh god, she has said many times this book will be HUGE. I might have to start going to the gym just so I can read it eventually.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1

-Michael

Yep, you must be right about that. I didn't take that part in. I need to re-read to pick up stuff I missed.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast