Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS!!

the girl I was working with was wondering what the hell I was doing, once I explained she rolled her eyes. She just didn't see the brilliance of my plan.

Also if you get any money that says "You stay classy" yeah, thats me too.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS!!

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink
    Celebrity Deathmatch: Snape v. Yoda
    That would be me you're quoting

There's something that's been bugging me from this book. Dumbledore really, really needed Harry to get the "director's cut" memory from Slughorn, and was pretty pissy about it actually. But doesn't the original version of the memory already mention the word "Horcrux" and hasn't Dumbledore already been chasing after them before that point? So like why is it so important that we hear the memory explaining what they do? Doesn't he already know enough about what they do? I don't understand why it was so important to hear the explanation coming from Slughorn. Seems to me like it was important for the reader to hear this information, sure, but there wasn't a real motivation for Dumbledore to need to hear that. You could say he needed Harry to hear that, I guess, so he wouldn't have to operate on Dumbledore's say-so, but it's just bugging me. Am I missing something?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix
    That would be me you're quoting

There's something that's been bugging me from this book. Dumbledore really, really needed Harry to get the "director's cut" memory from Slughorn, and was pretty pissy about it actually. But doesn't the original version of the memory already mention the word "Horcrux" and hasn't Dumbledore already been chasing after them before that point? So like why is it so important that we hear the memory explaining what they do? Doesn't he already know enough about what they do? I don't understand why it was so important to hear the explanation coming from Slughorn. Seems to me like it was important for the reader to hear this information, sure, but there wasn't a real motivation for Dumbledore to need to hear that. You could say he needed Harry to hear that, I guess, so he wouldn't have to operate on Dumbledore's say-so, but it's just bugging me. Am I missing something?
    You know, I did think the same thing. The only explanation I thought is that he just wanted conformation for himself because he knew how dangerous it was going to get and wanted to be sure? But I agree that is a "hole" in the story. Perhaps it will be explained in Book 7, but until then I think that was strange.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Disney Memory Maker

Well, up until then, they did not know how many horcruxes there were. That bit of the memory allowed Harry to further explore Voldemort to find his weaknesses. It showed him how Voldemort wanted to make 7 horcruxes. Overall, I think it was more to show Harry than for Dumbledore to know.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• UnExiled Minion

Reread a bit of it yesterday, just trying to find more information than the speed-read I did the first time.

On page 99, after Harry tells Ron and Hermione that he has to face Voldemort, he gets this warm feeling that rushes through him. It's an obvious reference to the love and loyalty he feels toward his friends (and they toward him), and it is the difference between him and Voldemort.

I'm going to try to find other instances of this in the book, one that doesn't involve Ginny, of course. I know there is one where he feels bad for Luna and Neville, but I'll have to read it more closely.

Prediction for Book 7: Harry tells someone: "I trust Draco completely."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• My arms are tired!

Quote Originally Posted by Tui
    Today when I was working at the fair, selling wristbands for the rides, I got really bored. So I looked around and saw that we were taking in a lot of money, so I thought to myself, what could I do with all this money?

Long story short, if you get a dollar bill 1-$20 in value that says "Snape Kills Dumbledore on Page 596" chances are it was me that wrote it.
    I am waaay behind in this thread, but Tui, this is TOO funny!

Snow

Cost of AP= $239
    Trips to DL= 001
    Next Trip to DL= May 6-7, 2007

• T'zambezi makes me sneezy

Long story short, if you get a dollar bill 1-$20 in value that says "Snape Kills Dumbledore on Page 596" chances are it was me that wrote it.
    Tee hee! Not a bad idea...I'm tempted to do it.

My wonderous philosophies are as follows:

DUMBLEDORE IS DEAD
    I don't think Rowling would have been as sentimental about his funeral if it was otherwise.

SNAPE IS GOOD
    Well, as "good" as a rotten guy like him can get. I do believe he's loyal to Dumbledore--that he performed the Avada curse on Dumbledore's orders in order to save Draco's soul-- keep him away from the dark side...or something. In other words Dumbledore sacrificed himself to save Draco. What a guy.

Hagrid also mentions when he visits Ron in the hospital wing that Snape and Dumbledore has an arguement (something about Snape not wanting to go through with it anymore...or something.) So Snape and Dumbledore had an agreement with each other throughout the book.

So this means that only Draco knows that Snape is actually on the "good" side, since Snape is probably hiding him from Voldemort. This could lead to some interesting plot twists.

Or maybe I just want Snape to be good because Alan Rickman is severely hot.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Dumbledore's patronus is a phoenix...food for thought?

(Says who?? Rowling says so on her website, I just saw it today.)

• insufferable know-it-all

Asterix: Patronus eh?.... interesting point. We were all thinking animagi, but hmm.....

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• out & about

Just in case anyone didnt already know...
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

@WRDinc

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

ok, so I'm way behind...but something I thought I'd bring up. For all those hoping that Dumbledore isn't dead....lets go back to the Lord of the Rings series of books.. where the great and wise wizard dies at the end of one of the books...then he comes back again at the begining of the next book...also, the great and powerful villian in both series both can only be killed with the destruction of material objects (rings, lockets, diarys, etc.). sorry, just noticed a few similarities in the two series.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Anders, I'm with you. I think when JK says someone is dead, they are dead. We may see Dumbledore in either the penseive or some other way that we havn't seen yet. But dead is dead. He's not coming back until Sirius does, and I'm thinking that's never.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL
    Anders, I'm with you. I think when JK says someone is dead, they are dead. We may see Dumbledore in either the penseive or some other way that we havn't seen yet. But dead is dead. He's not coming back until Sirius does, and I'm thinking that's never.
    If she brought him back, Rowling would most likely be seen as copying the LOTR saga. He needs to stay dead in order for Harry to take control in the final book, Dumbledore can still have a presence, such as Obi-Wan after the original Star Wars movie, but as a living character, he is no more in my opinion.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• And, THEN she said...

i dunno about dumbledore being completely gone...don't forget his wizards picture is now in his office along with all of the ex headmasters of hogwarts

and im wondering why the white tomb sprang up around his body with so much "flair" as one of the ministers of majic said i think it was in order of the phoenix....that dumbledore had alot of "flair" and the thing that was repeated in this one and order...

dumbledore will never truly be gone as long as there are ones who are loyal to him.. and there are many..harry, the DA, hagrid..soo we will see.. but i do expect something big to happen when harry visits his mom and dads graves..

• Disney Memory Maker

How come Dumbledore wanted Harry to go back to the Dursley's one more time? I haven't read the book since July and forgot if there was an explanation to this.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast