Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Original Mice-Chatter

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS!!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    In Book 5, there is information about this person. Answer is, "No."

I recalled that and already corrected myself- but it is still possible-
    Spoiler
    That the note left in the false horcux was written by him

Spoiler
    It is unknown if the real horcrux was destroyed- the note says they plan to destroy it as soon as possible. Also, it had to have been two of them- remember Dumbledore said that the obstacles seem to have been set so that it took two people to overcome them- so who else is there besides RAB?

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    I recalled that and already corrected myself- but it is still possible-
    Spoiler
    That the note left in the false horcux was written by him
    Spoiler
    I think he's the only one who could have done it. Now, when did he do it and why is another issue entirely, hopefully to be revealed in book 7.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I just finished it this afternoon, and I am emotionally spent. That's all I have to say for now. I've got to take it all in and think about it. Phew. I'm exhausted!

I'm sad because of lots of things, but mostly I'm sad that I have to wait who-knows-how-long for the next book!!!!!
    A signature should go here.

• Launch sequence engaged

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS

Quote Originally Posted by Small Panda After All
    Spoiler
    And, Dumbledore has to be back in book seven because his picture is in McGonagall's office, so he can offer advice. I never really understood how much pictures can really do, so maybe he can even tell more of what he knows, like whether Snape is good.
    Spoiler
    I was thinking about that, maybe Dumbledore could give advice like that. However, what I don't understand is that why can't Harry confide in his parents? Is there a certain gimmick to being able to speak in those portraits?

• Just Me

Regular pictures don't seem to talk, only move. Maybe only portraits can talk.

Spoiler
    Was there ever any mention of how Sirus's brother died? I never paid much attention since it seemed like such a minor thing.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey Girl
    Regular pictures don't seem to talk, only move. Maybe only portraits can talk.
    Sir Cadagan talks, nearly all of the paintings talk, and move among each other at Hogwarts.
    The portraits in the Headmaster's office can move to portraits outside of Hogwarts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey Girl
    Spoiler
    Was there ever any mention of how Sirus's brother died? I never paid much attention since it seemed like such a minor thing.
    1. Nothing seems to be minor anymore.
    2. Not in this book, but in Book 5, there was a small mention that it did happen, but not how.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Original Mice-Chatter

Spoiler
    I think it is a difference between photographs and portraits- Dumbledore is now in a portrait and given the behavior of the other portraits in the office there is special magic there. Harry's parents are only in photographs

• Rock Star Minion

The portraits at Hogwarts must have extra magic. I don't know if every portrait in the Magical World does, though.
    Sirius's mother's does, that's for sure.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• My cuties!

I finally finished tonight, with tears streaming down my face! What an incredible book! I think it might be my favorite! I have a question about book 4 and 5, why weren't time traveler's used to save Cedric and Sirius?
    Last edited by twinmom; 07-20-2005 at 06:26 AM.

• Puppy Cuddles

It makes sense that a portrait would have more personality because they take much more time and effort. Even in the wizarding world a sitting would take some time.

And twinmom, they could have saved Cedric, but I imagine that they probably can't just go around saving everybody because no one would ever die. Probably just an ethics issue. Sirius in 3 was just an exception because it was a fate worse than death he was going to suffer and because he was in fact innocent. As for Sirius, in 5, they broke all the TIme-Turners in the ensuing battle and so there aren't anymore in England at least.
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

• My arms are tired!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Spoiler
    Keeping an eye on Snape for Voldemort.
    Thanks! Got it, I started rereading last night and found the reference, duh!

Snow

Cost of AP= $239
    Trips to DL= 001
    Next Trip to DL= May 6-7, 2007

• insufferable know-it-all

Spoiler
    I still have to wonder if there's something going on with Dumbledore. I know Rowling's really good about not cheesily reviving beloved characters, BUT, it's worth remembering a few things:
    1. A phoenix's tears can heal, even if you are an inch from death
    2. She kept mentioning Fawkes
    3. Dumbledore said something about faking deaths to hide people

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

question why are we talking in spoilers when the tag says spoilers ahead???

umm ok so i kept thinking maybe dumbledore would come back, but how could he come back if he's already in a portrait??

personally i think that snape isn't bad and just did that so he could stay "good" with voldemort, and taht they had this worked out before. dumbledore is laying low, because he's a good man and doesnt want draco to die because he didn't kill him.

ok do you remember in the 5th book when they are cleaning out 13 Grimauld Place and Harry finds a locket that won't open?? ok ringy ding ding that's the horcrux!!!

RAB has to be Regulus, although i was a little confused on the whole note inside.

i think that ginny and harry are sooo cute together and i'm glad we finally see hermione and ron sort of "together"

• Banned User

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS

... Wow.... I have to say, this book sucked me in like it was itself magic. And certain parts, which most of you will surely know of, brought tears. Tears! From a kid’s book!

Ack... I’m drowning in geeky wussytude...

Anyhow, my thoughts.

Spoiler
    I’m doubting that Dumbledore is actually gone and that Snape is really evil. Rowling loves to put in little hints that you don’t realize until later, and this book seemed chock full of them. Most obvious of which, Dumbledore’s attempt to turn Draco around. From page 592. “I can help you Draco... He cannot kill you if you are already dead. Come over to the right side, Draco, and we can hide you more completely than you can possibly imagine... Nobody would be surprised that you had died in your attempt to kill me... Nor would the Death Eaters be surprised that we had captured and killed your mother...” He’s talking about faking one’s death! And later, “No Draco, it is my mercy, and not yours, that matters now.” Obviously Dumbledore is in control, and I also believe that his later pleading was simply to add to the ruse. Further, I do not believe that he would have stunned an invisible Harry, forcing him to watch the horror of Dumbledore’s murder, unless he had a great reason. And what better way to convince the world, and your enemies, that you are dead than to convince the ones who love you most and who are closest to you? If Harry believes, Voldemort surely will. And getting ultimate credibility for Snape from Voldy at the same time? Perfect. Further, in OotP Dumbledore remarked how much easier it was to accomplish tasks when released from the school. Well, now he certainly is released. But the thing that did it for me was this, from page 645, “Bright, white flames had erupted around Dumbledore’s body and the table upon which it lay... White smoke spiraled into the air and made strange shapes: Harry thought, for one heart-stopping moment, that he saw a Phoenix fly joyfully into the blue...” Rowling never adds a “so-and-so thought they saw such-and-such” unless they actually did. Remember Draco catching a fleeting glimpse of Harry’s shoe? And the fact that Dumbledore’s body disappears behind flames that diminish to reveal the tomb, with nobody seeing his body actually interred, seems like the old “smoke and mirrors” bit to me. And last, I sincerely doubt that Rowling would have made Phoenixes so central in the books if it weren’t for something like this. Phoenix means returning from the grave, at least metaphorically. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t return.

And regarding Snape.

Spoiler
    My own suspicion is this. He is, through it all, good at heart. His malice towards Harry stems from his malice towards James, which in turn springs from, I believe, intense jealousy. I believe that Snape was (wait for it!!!) in love with Lilly, and he hated James, his tormenter and sworn enemy, for stealing her heart. Remember that when Harry was in the Pensieve, watching Sirius and James bully Snape, it was Lilly who intervened and made them stop (and, incidentally, we now know that she was a master potion maker, a major attraction to someone like Snape.) Snape’s harsh names thrown at her were just in reaction to being embarrassed. He loved her, and ultimately caused her death after hearing the prophecy. I believe that this is why Dumbledore trusts him completely. He knows that Snape’s heart broke when he realized that he had caused the death of the woman he loved, and therefore was forever committed to righting that wrong. Imagine; what if Harry was less pure and strong, was deeply in love with Ginny, but she fell in love with Draco, and Harry inadvertently got her killed. I imagine that he’d act much as Snape does. Also, if Snape was truly Dark enough to murder Albus Dumbledore, he wouldn't have simply knocked out Flitwick and left. If Snape was a true Death Eater, he would have killed him, knowing that he was an enemy of Voldemort. No, Snape is still undercover. Deep cover, now.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts and ideas. Overall, a truly wonderful book, and the next three years are now going to positively crawl by.

• me

HOLD ON!
    Spoiler

Since none of us muggles have read or really know anything about the Kadava spell (the "death one"), is it at all possible that Snape and Dumbeldore invented that spell since Snape was good at invinting spells, just in case this situation arose. And that this spell only knocks out Dumbeldore for a long time to seem like he is dead. Then to top it off his potrait would inforce his "death" therefore giving him free time to run about and stopping Voldermort, or also taking the enemy by suprise in the end. Hmmmmmmm. Also Dumbeldore could at any time have saw that Draco was the only death eater in the room at the time to kill Dumbeldore. Therefore he could've released contorl of Harry to fight of Draco(not with wand but with his mind like the students were learning).....because obviously i think Dumbledore would trust Harry could destroy Draco! However for the above plan to work Dumbeldore had to appear dead. Thus heince the reason Snape (who didn't know about the attack, or he would've been there with the Death Eaters at the beginning.) Ran to the excact spot in wich Dumbledore was being held captive, wasted no time and didnt even recieve permission or discuss the possibilty with the rest of the Death Eaters to kill Dumbledore.

But hey just my thoughts
    help save Uncle Walts legacy!!

"God created man becuase he was dissapointed in the monkey"-Mark Twain

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast