Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

• me

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS!!

My main thought is that there are supposibly four horxcuse left, and i was wondering if Rowling may go out and do a book a horxcuse, i mean if Harry doesn't even go to school anymore then this book has changed from a little boy growing up to be a wizard and his complications, to a Harry Potter trekking the wizard world for horxcuses and to slay and evil wizard. The seventh book may not even be at Hogwarts. Therefore you don't have to end at seven books.

But sorry my bad
    help save Uncle Walts legacy!!

"God created man becuase he was dissapointed in the monkey"-Mark Twain

• Banned User

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS

I've always had a slight suspicion that Dumbledore might be an animagus, but I doubt it though. If he were, I doubt that Fawkes would play such a prominent role.

As for Dumbledore, I’m going to play Devil's Advocate a little here.
    Spoiler
    I still believe the theories which I posted, but I can’t help but wonder if those same clues that I picked up on could actually be proof that Dumbledore isn’t coming back. Here’s why. These books are kids books. Yes, adults are equally in love with them too, but still, they’re kids books. And kids books share the common trait of teaching lessons. I wonder if, perhaps, Dumbledore’s death is such a lesson. In OotP, when Sirius died, the reader experienced it through Harry. We saw how Harry reacted; his disbelief, hope that it wasn’t real, gradual acceptance, coping with grief, etc. I wonder if that was “Death Lesson 1.” Now, with Dumbledore’s death, (Lesson 2) the reader experiences death for themselves. Where before we lamented for Harry and his pain, we now lament at our own sense of loss. And all of Rowling’s clever little clues, giving us hope that this isn’t real, may simply be a way of creating that feeling of disbelief in the reader, just as Harry felt it for Sirius. “No, he’s not dead! Look at this!”

So, I have to wonder if this is all Rowling’s way of teaching kids about death, and loss. With the funeral, the way her descriptions pulled you in so that you felt that you were there, experiencing it, feeling it; and now the long, slow path of acceptance, it definitely seems plausible. I hope that this isn’t true, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it is.

Oh, and Neph, you know I lurve you too babe!

• My cuties!

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS!!

Interesting, Jazzman!

Here's a link to an article about Rowling: Article

• Original Mice-Chatter

Oh wahhhh- I'm so rich that I can't go somewhere and be alone...wahhh

I love her books- but frankly I think JK Rowling has taken on a bizarreness of epic porportions. Really.....

Thanks for posting it though- if nothing else it gives some insight into how long we have to wait, along with confirmation that there are hints at the end of the book.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman
    Spoiler
    (Lesson 2) With the funeral, the way her descriptions pulled you in so that you felt that you were there, experiencing it, feeling it; and now the long, slow path of acceptance, it definitely seems plausible. I hope that this isn’t true, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it is.
    OMG, you're going to make me cry again!
    A signature should go here.

• My cuties!

Oh wahhhh- I'm so rich that I can't go somewhere and be alone...wahhh

I was glad she is taking time off to be with her baby daughter but still selfishly want her to finish 7 in less than 2 years!!! I've heard she has the epilogue written already.

• insufferable know-it-all

Jazzman: you make an excellent point, and I think we have seen enough of Rowling's writing to believe her capable of leaving us just there, and not "redeeming" the death.

That's what I appreciate most about her writing: she doesn't seem to feel the obligation most children's writers do to save all the characters. She just goes for the jugular, and more power to her. That said, like everyone I'm still hoping she redeems this one

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom

I was glad she is taking time off to be with her baby daughter but still selfishly want her to finish 7 in less than 2 years!!! I've heard she has the epilogue written already.

The mom in me gets the whole time off to be with the kid thing- but face it- she has nothing but the ability for leisure time with her family. I don't want to hear her griping that she can't spend quiet time in a cafe.....really. LOL

Is it November yet?
    Last edited by Nephythys; 07-22-2005 at 11:06 AM.

[]
    So, I have a question, at what point/date will we feel comfortable no longer spoiler-tagging our discussion? It'll be one week as of midnight tonight. What point would we like to agree we can stop using spoiler tags?
    [/]

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

my thoughts on how the books were going to end, is that Harry and Voldemort will have to be killed off together. i kind of think that they have to kill each other for voldemort to die.

Spoiler
    as far as harry being a horcrux, this could be feasible. his scar?? i mean voldemort left that behind right? harry can see into what voldemort is thinking sometimes. maybe the part of himself he placed in harry is what harry can see??

i don't know i'm kinda taking a stab in the dark

• Minion

lol morrigoon the first time i actually start using spoiler tags... thats when we should stop.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    []
    So, I have a question, at what point/date will we feel comfortable no longer spoiler-tagging our discussion? It'll be one week as of midnight tonight. What point would we like to agree we can stop using spoiler tags?
    [/]

I think due to being on the second page it is safe to do so now- so as the creator of the topic- feel free to stop using spoiler tags.

• My arms are tired!

I have another question that has sprung to mind. This regards Draco, early in the book (and stupid me for not making a note of the page) a reference was made to his blackened left hand or withered left hand. In know when he is being measured for his robes, he winces in pain reacting to being pinned on his left hand. I know characters have referred to his sensitivity to being marked as a Death Eater. But we've not been shown the dark mark and had Draco been so marked, one would think in the carriage of the Hogwarts Express he would have shown it off to his fellow Slytherins. We know he likes being perceived as the big man on campus, or at least in Slytherin House.

Now Dumbledore spends the entire book with a withered/blackened left hand too (not fully explained to my memory) and I am proceeding more slowly through the book this second time, so it may well be. Any connection here?

Snow

Any connection there?

Cost of AP= $239
    Trips to DL= 001
    Next Trip to DL= May 6-7, 2007

No, but here's something to point out: a big deal was made of the fact that the difference between Harry and Riddle was that Harry could love. So now, transpose that over to the problem with Draco, his seeming uncertainty, and also, most importantly: the fact that he was doing this because otherwise his parents would die. In other words: love.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Draco did not have a blackened hand or arm- he just reacted in apparant pain to madame malkin poking him with a pin in that arm.

Dumbledore injured his arm retrieving the ring he destroyed.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast