Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

• My cuties!

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS!!

I was hoping for more of an explanation of Dumbledore's hand! Why couldn't it be healed, etc?

i kind of think that they have to kill each other for voldemort to die
    I don't agreee. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that she will NOT kill off Harry.

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS!!

Then Harry *can't* be a horcrux.

One thing that bothered me was the sudden disappearance of Kreacher and Dobby. It's like, hey thanks for the info, bye. And nothing more. I would have thought he'd want him followed again or something, or at least that they'd pop in for another appearance, Dobby especially.

There's a thread I wonder about: when Harry finally kills V., will he free Kreacher?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• insufferable know-it-all

Another thought: Did anyone else find this book distastefully colored by recent events? I mean, the examples of the ineptitude of the ministry spoke of... shall we say, commentary on current events.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Another thought: Did anyone else find this book distastefully colored by recent events? I mean, the examples of the ineptitude of the ministry spoke of... shall we say, commentary on current events.
    You mean the part when someone close to the minister leaked to Rita Skeeter that someone's wife was a spy?

Every regime has at least one low point, regardless of what each claims.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Original Mice-Chatter

Keep politics out of my thread - please! If you guys wants to start a "Politics of Harry Potter" thread - go ahead- but keep this about the book and or movie.

• Banned User

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS

Regarding the idea that both Harry and Voldemort will die; I also suspect that they both must. If I remember correctly (I don't have OotP handy just now) the prophecy states that "neither can live while the other survives." We take this to mean that one has to die because they can't both live at the same time. But just as the "Half Blood Prince" turned out to be somewhat a play on words, with Snape's mom just having that last name and no royalty involved, so may the prophecy. Rowling may have chosen "neither," not to exclude the possibly of both living at the same time (one or the other), but to exclude the possibility of both living at all. So, if one is alive, then both must die. It is kind of a paradox, and a stretch, but it also seems classic for Rowling. One other bit of evidence. Harry can speak Parseltongue and see into Voldemort’s mind because Voldemort transferred some of himself to Harry when he tried to kill him. When Voldemort was reborn, he succeeded because he used Harry’s blood, which now runs through his veins. Now, Horcruxes aside, they both live within each other and therefore if one dies, he still partially lives on inside the other. Hence, in order for either one to die, they both must.

And Morrigoon, I agree with you. One of the best qualities in Rowling’s writings, IMO, is that she doesn’t pull any punches and writes the story that she imagines: not something watered down. Once I have children they’ll definitely be given this series. Entertainment aside, I believe that they’ll learn valuable lessons about life simply from reading them.

Oh, and while I'm here, I'll throw this out too. One of the biggest mysteries to me involves the mirror that Sirius gave to Harry. A somewhat big deal was made about it, and then it just disappeared. Could this be a future plot device that was introduced early in order to avoid cheesiness later? Will Harry be able to contact Sirius beyond the grave? Or Dumbledore? I just can't stop wondering.

• Original Mice-Chatter

The mirror did not disappear. Harry found it at the bottom of his trunk after Sirius died- and he tried to use it and it showed nothing. I think he just flung it back into his trunk- or some such notion. Then he went to ask Nick about the chances of Sirius coming back as a ghost.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman
    Regarding the idea that both Harry and Voldemort will die; I also suspect that they both must. If I remember correctly (I don't have OotP handy just now) the prophecy states that "neither can live while the other survives." We take this to mean that one has to die because they can't both live at the same time. But just as the "Half Blood Prince" turned out to be somewhat a play on words, with Snape's mom just having that last name and no royalty involved, so may the prophecy. Rowling may have chosen "neither," not to exclude the possibly of both living at the same time (one or the other), but to exclude the possibility of both living at all. So, if one is alive, then both must die. It is kind of a paradox, and a stretch, but it also seems classic for Rowling. One other bit of evidence. Harry can speak Parseltongue and see into Voldemort’s mind because Voldemort transferred some of himself to Harry when he tried to kill him. When Voldemort was reborn, he succeeded because he used Harry’s blood, which now runs through his veins. Now, Horcruxes aside, they both live within each other and therefore if one dies, he still partially lives on inside the other. Hence, in order for either one to die, they both must.
    OMG, Jazzman, this is just genius. Very well thought out, I had never even considered it until now.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Banned User

Oh, no, I meant "disappear" as in "didn't play into the story any more after that." When Sirius gave it to him it seemed something of big importance, but then nothing more was mentioned of it until he opened his trunk at the end.

There just seemed to me to be too much emphasis placed on it for the mirror to not play heavily into the plot somewhere.

• Minion

ok well i'm glad someone else will agree with me...

• Banned User

Talking Ahhhhh.... me.....

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl
    OMG, Jazzman, this is just genius. Very well thought out, I had never even considered it until now.
    Why thank you!

Yes, I do somewhat consider myself the "Half Blood Genius." Great burden, though, carrying all of this vast intellect around all the time...

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: Ahhhhh.... me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman
    Why thank you!

Yes, I do somewhat consider myself the "Half Blood Genius." Great burden, though, carrying all of this vast intellect around all the time...

Yes, I'm sure it makes life difficult...I've heard it can actually cause your head to swell to up to twice its normal size!
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Original Mice-Chatter

I don't think she will kill Harry off- as my mother put it "if she does, she is one rich, sick B***H"

This series while nuanced, is not some great morality tale that needs to end with a noble death- she would devastate her fans, literally, by doing so.

• Minion

yeah but if she killed him off, it wouldn't leave us wondering what he does for the rest of his life, i mean yeah i know she's gonna write an epilogue, but is that really good enough??

• New Waver

Here is an interesting website somebody made for people who can't accept that Dumbledore is gone dumbledoreisnotdead.com. I am not really sure what to think at this point. I think some really good ideas have been made on this thread though. I personaly think that and Dumbledore is dead dead dead though.

I would be disapointed if he came back to life, it would really take the epic nature out of the whole series. In nearly every western epic there are always three characters, God, Satan and the Hero protagonist. And what makes a great epic great is to remove all protection from the Hero in the end by fourcing the Hero to face Satan on his own, to do that God has to be taken out of the picture. Often the God character will remove himself from the picture, which may have been what Dumbledore did, but it has cost him his life, but not spirit. Dumbledore can still advise Harry through his portrait but cannot physically help Harry when his has to face Voldemort alone, also in the end Ron and Hermione cannot help him in the final battle and I doubt Harry would let them.

I think that perhaps Harry may come back to Hogwarts though, not only to finish school since he is going to need all the magic training he can get before he faces the big V, and what better place to get that training then at Hogwarts. Also Hogwarts may be the best place to find out more info about the other Horcruxes. I would even go as far to say that Harry may end up teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts.

As for Harry and Voldemort killing each other, I would not put it past J.K. Rowling to have the guts to do it. I hope she won't though, but no matter what Harry is going to have issues and may have to get away from the wizarding world, kind of like Frodo having to leave middle earth. The journey to kill Voldemort will leave Harry with more emotional scars the Bill's face or Mad Eye Moody, take your pick .

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast