Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

• Original Mice-Chatter

For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS!!

Ok- I have to start talking to people about this book.

Questions I have since finishing the book today-

Spoiler
    Why did Dumbledore seem to plead with Snape? Dunbledore does not seem the type to plead for his life.

Spoiler
    Is it at all possible that Snape killed Dumbledore in order to protect his cover, or was the story he told Bellatrix and Narcissa at the beginning of the book the truth?

Spoiler
    Does the phoenix mean anything?

Spoiler
    Is it at all possible that Dumbledore wished for Snape to do what he did to prevent Draco from being forced to do so?

Spoiler
    Is it possible that Ron and Hermione are never going to admit to how they feel about each other?

Spoiler
    and lastly- for now - I suspect the 7th book may not take place at Hogwarts at all.

Augh!!! So many questions (I have more, of course) and too long to wait for answers.

So- if you have finished the book or don't care about being spoiled- join in!

• Minion

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS!!

Spoiler
    Yeah, I agree that pleading for his life would have been very un-Dumbledore. That's why I don't think he was pleading for his life. I think he was pleading for Snape to kill him, and the look of hatred and revulsion on Snape's face was hatred that he had to kill Dumbledore. Remember the arguement between Dumbledore and Snape that Hagrid overheard, where Dumbledore was telling Snape that he had agreed to do something and that he had to do it? Maybe Snape told Dumbledore about the Unbreakable Vow he had made, basically warning Dumbledore, and Dumbledore said that when the time came, Snape had to kill him so that Voldemort still thought he was on the dark side? When fighting with Harry after the death, he never actually attacked him, only deflecting Harry's curses. Maybe he is not really evil? I don't know, just a thought.

Also... about the Phoenix... is it possible that maybe Fawkes is a Horcrux for Dumbledore? Maybe there is some way to create a Horcrux that is not horrible?

Lastly, just a theory I have. Remember how Dumbledore told Harry that while Lord V. wanted to make something of Gryffindor's a Horcrux, but the only known relic was the sword? Well what if (I know, this is super unlikely) Harry is the final Horcrux? Could it be that Lily or James was a descendent of Gryffindor, and when Voldemort killed his parents, he accidently made Harry a Horcrux? That would mean that Harry would have to die though...

It's such a great series!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS!!

[QUOTE=Nephythys]Ok- I have to start talking to people about this book.

Spoiler
    Why did Dumbledore seem to plead with Snape? Dunbledore does not seem the type to plead for his life.

Spoiler
    Is it at all possible that Snape killed Dumbledore in order to protect his cover, or was the story he told Bellatrix and Narcissa at the beginning of the book the truth?

Spoiler

Spoiler
    Is it at all possible that Dumbledore wished for Snape to do what he did to prevent Draco from being forced to do so?

Spoiler
    Is it possible that Ron and Hermione are never going to admit to how they feel about each other?

Now I'll have to read this one too.

• T'zambezi makes me sneezy

I stayed up 'til 3:30 this morning reading this book. I was so upset, I was yelling at it.

Thing that bothered me most:

Spoiler
    TONKS got Lupin?! The nerve! He was MINE! I was really upset about this, but now I guess it's okay. Our relationship wasn't really going anywhere.

Marvelous book, though. Snape really threw me for one.

• My arms are tired!

I think I have more questions than answers! I know I need to re-read this, now at a more leisurely pace. But I could not put it down! Anyway, here are my first fuzzy thoughts. This is a great book! I really loved it!

Snow

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    Ok- I have to start talking to people about this book.

Spoiler

My thoughts:
    Spoiler
    That is open as far I am concerned. That was the MacGuffin I was speaking of. Perhaps Snape is not a returned Death Eater but this was planned to lure out Lord V. I don't know, I need to re-read and absorb more since I plowed through this book like it was the last I'd ever read! I am already futuring as to how well Alan Rickman will play this.

Spoiler

My thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Am I right in my assumptuion that Fawkes has dissapeared? Since Fawkes is Dumbledore's can Fawkes "heal" or "cure" Dubmbledore from death?

Spoiler

My thoughts:
    Spoiler
    No clue, Draco is a coward basically. Does Dumbledore care to protect Draco? I don't know. That said, perhaps Draco's job was to merely get the Death Eaters into Hogwarts, the killing of Dumbledore would be left to one of them. Clearly, Harry, as Snape said, is left for Lord V. My other thoughts on Draco kept returning to the references of his being pale and wan, could Draco have been bitten by the werewolf? Or am I barking up the wrong whomping willow?

Spoiler

My thoughts:
    Spoiler
    I thought they sort of did? It seemed pretty clear they're now together.

Augh!!! So many questions (I have more, of course) and too long to wait for answers.

So- if you have finished the book or don't care about being spoiled- join in!

Cost of AP= $239
    Trips to DL= 001
    Next Trip to DL= May 6-7, 2007

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

This book totally blew my mind. I couldn't put it down! And yes, I'm not ashamed to admit that I totally geeked out over it.

Warning: SPOILERS AHEAD.

Spoiler
    I really loved the portrayal of Harry's sudden realization of his feelings for Ginny. I AWWWWed so many times. And Ron and Hermione was just cracking me up.

I admit that I cried like a baby when Dumbledore was murdered. And I was genuinely shocked to discover that Snape really was a bad guy. I literally jumped up and gasped when he revealed that he was, in fact, the half blood Prince.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• And, THEN she said...

WHOO! i just finished it! one of the best ones by far

this is what I'm thinking

Spoiler
    first, that Snape may not be as bad as we think he is, cause he WAS only deflecting harrys jinxes..Snape could have killed Harry Anytime he wanted..and snape DID save Harry from the jinx that the death eater threw at Harry..and as for Dumbledore..I think Dumbledore knew he was dying from the potion he drank and he knew about the task Valdemort set draco to do he also knew about Draco trying to kill him all year but he knew that Draco was a wuss and wouldnt be able to do it..so Dumbledore was letting snape know to kill him in order to save Draco..after all draco was one of his students and everyone knows how dumbledore felt about all of his students..

and as for Fawkes being Dumbledore's Horcrux..it may be cause voldemort does have an animal horcrux, its his snake he keeps with him and harry did see a Phoenix rise from the white flames that made Dumbledores Tomb..

and i dont think that the next book is going to be at Hogwarts...if it is its going to be very short cause Harry is now going to look for the other Horcruxes of Voldemorts i see something intersting happening at Cerdric's Hollow..

and i too was grabbed and sucked in when i opened thew book i plowed thru it so fast i need to re read it also.. and i was way bummed about Dumbledore it screewed up my whole day after i peeked!

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by groomer_4_u
    WHOO! i just finished it! one of the best ones by far

this is what I'm thinking

Spoiler
    first, that Snape may not be as bad as we think he is, cause he WAS only deflecting harrys jinxes..Snape could have killed Harry Anytime he wanted..and snape DID save Harry from the jinx that the death eater threw at Harry..and as for Dumbledore..I think Dumbledore knew he was dying from the potion he drank and he knew about the task Valdemort set draco to do he also knew about Draco trying to kill him all year but he knew that Draco was a wuss and wouldnt be able to do it..so Dumbledore was letting snape know to kill him in order to save Draco..after all draco was one of his students and everyone knows how dumbledore felt about all of his students..

I hope you're right.

• Puppy Cuddles

Thank God! Okay, I just finished the book tonight.

Snape:
    Spoiler
    Okay, I have to think first and foremost we might have to live with the fact that Snape is not the good guy. Even if he is, no one will ever trust him again because of what he did. Dumbledore plead with him becasue he wanted Snape to remember what brought him back around in the first place, but Snape just didn't care.

Counterargument:
    Spoiler
    As for deflection of jinxes, I think that Snape, deep deep down still feels guilty about Harry's parents. James still saved his life and therefore Snape (who still has some misguided sense of honor) feels that he cannot kill James. He tell Voldy about the prophecy and is then wracked with guilt because of his imagined debt. Therefore, he still feels the need to protect Harry.

Romance:
    Spoiler
    The whole Harry/Ginny thing totally geeked me out. I don't hate her anymore as I did in the second and third books, but I still don't fancy them a couple. I'm holding out for Luna. God i think she's just precious.

Defense Against the Dark Arts:
    Spoiler
    Does anyone else love the fact that Voldy cursed the DADA job? I thought that was a hoot! So petty! Makes you wonder if Dumbledore had only accepted him as a teacher, maybe he would have turned out differently.

Names:
    Spoiler
    And if she's going to give old characters new names at least she's giving them better ones. I giggled every single time I heard "Snuffles," but I really like "Witherwings"
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

• Defying Gravity

I LOVED IT! Read the last 250 pages in one stretch, I simply could not put it down.

Spoiler
    I really dont think Dumbledore would ever beg for his live. The only explanation is that he was begging Snape to do what he had to do. But it was killing me. I hated and loved Rowling at the same time.

Oh man it has never been harder waiting for the next book.
    You say Im a bitch like its a bad thing.

London BABY!!

• Original Mice-Chatter

Spoiler
    Fawkes can not be a horcrux- as tempting as it is to think that Dumbledore's spirit lives on in some way- to create a horcrux the wizard has to commit murder, tear his soul into pieces and then seal part of it away in a horcrux object. Dumbledore did not commit murder, so he could not have done so. Personally I think Fawkes leaving Hogwarts was the final sign that Dumbledore is truly gone.
    Last edited by Nephythys; 07-18-2005 at 04:07 AM.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    Spoiler
    Personally I think Fawkes leaving Hogwarts was the final sign that Dumbledore is truly gone.
    Spoiler
    This part had me just bawling. I was heartbroken, because I took that to mean exactly the same thing.

I really got a kick out of the way Rowling described Hermione and Ron's issues with one another dating other people. I loved the way Hermione responded every time Lavender was around, I was just cracking up. I remember being that age, and that was exactly how 16 year old girls act.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Spoiler
    My favorite Ron/Hermione moment was when he was poisoned- and she rushed to his side and he mumbled her name in his sleep. awwwww

Spoiler
    Due to reading ahead I was somewhat emotionally numb to some of the goings on after Dumbledores death- but when Hagrid carried his body to the slab that became the white tomb I about died. Poor Hagrid!

• Puppy Cuddles

Spoiler
    Okay, I have officially thought more about the whole Snape thing and I have come to the conclusion that there is the possibility that whoever said that Snape told Dumbledore about the vow and Dumbledore died to save Malfoy, is right. But then the question remains, without Dumbledore there to tell them that, would it even matter? I mean, yes, Snape is still under cover and probably no one doubts him now on the Death Eaters. But he has no one to report to on the Order because I'm guessing that none of them will trust him again. Is it a good idea to just stay under cover and attack from the inside when the last battle begins? How would you deal with the Order who are probably hell-bent on killing you first and asking questions later because you killed Dumbledore?

Seriously, I was worried about this book fromt eh beginning. Can it live up to the other 5? But Rowling has meaning on so many different levels and it is so hard to not only create such a complex world, but to write such a complex plot within it. Anyway, I want 7 to come out now! Now I say!
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

• Launch sequence engaged

Re: For those who have FINISHED the new Potter book- major discussion thread SPOILERS

Spoiler
    Does anyone else think that R.A.B. refers to Regulus Black? It may very well be him because a friend pointed out that in Order of the Phoenix, that a locket which could not be opened was found at Grimmauld Place.

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast