Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Group withdraws request for initiative - OC Register, 10/19/07 (SunCal pulls measure)

http://www.ocregister.com/news/group...-suncal-ballot

Anaheim A developer-funded group withdrew its request for the City Council to put an initiative on the ballot to require voter approval of a Disney project.

Instead, the group plans to collect signatures to get the measure on the ballot.

The majority of the council supported the initiative and city staff had started preparing paperwork. By asking the council to place the measure on the ballot, the Defend and Protect Anaheim group would have avoided the signature-gathering process.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Re: Group withdraws request for initiative - OC Register, 10/19/07 (SunCal pulls meas

Scanned image of the letter

"If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Re: Group withdraws request for initiative - OC Register, 10/19/07 (SunCal pulls meas

What does this exactly mean? I get from it that SunCal is starting to back down from Disney. Did it have to do with the one billion dollars that Disney pulled out of its sleeve the other day?

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    What does this exactly mean? I get from it that SunCal is starting to back down from Disney. Did it have to do with the one billion dollars that Disney pulled out of its sleeve the other day?
    I can't read minds, but based on the actions SunCal has taken, it looks like they understand there is no real chance of them winning in the public vote of the registered voters of Anaheim.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Last time I checked...."our city" was Anahiem, not irvine where Sun-Cal is based out of.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

That is the funniest thing I've read all week!

These SunCal folks are giving new meaning to the term "sleazy developer".

But I'm still scratching my head over this one. With the way the housing market has gone in the last four months, and the fact that all future housing developments a few blocks away in the Platinum Triangle have been shelved or put on indefinite hold, I'm fascinated that SunCal is still pursuing a plan to build 1,500 condo units that no one wants to buy.

Could SunCal really be so forward thinking to try and get the signatures, fail at that task, and then blame Disney for it by claiming dirty pool? That would give them a way to leave town with the ability to place the blame on Disney somehow because they couldn't get enough signatures? But these SunCal folks don't seem smart enough to concoct a twisted conspiracy theory like that in advance.

This is very odd. But hilariously funny at the same time.

After thinking about this some more....

Perhaps this is the first step SunCal makes on their way out of town. They have to know full well that their plan for 1,500 condo units shoehorned next to a freeway and a liquor store in an undesirable neighborhood won't be built. That type of questionable product could only have been conceived and proposed in the frothiest part of a massive housing bubble, which is exactly what was happening when SunCal proposed this plan 15 months ago. The bubble has popped in a very ugly way, and the market won't be ready to accept this type of huge development for at least a decade, if not longer.

SunCal missed the party, big time. They know that too, and they won't be building a thing in Anaheim for many years. So now the initiative with their name all over it has been pulled off of the ballot, and officially they will work to gather signatures.

But something tells me they won't do much of anything to get those signatures, and this is the first step down the new path they are taking to leave Anaheim entirely and back away from this misguided and messy development.

So, perhaps this is a smart thing for SunCal to do, seeing as how they have to find a way to get out of the Anaheim mess they created. This action of playing the victim and "respectfully" requesting that their initiative be taken off the ballot for now is likely the first step in their Anaheim Exit Strategy.

Regardless..... Buh-bye SunCal. Thanks for visiting Anaheim! Did you at least get to ride Space Mountain and see the parade?

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post

Perhaps this is the first step SunCal makes on their way out of town. They have to know full well that their plan for 1,500 condo units shoehorned next to a freeway and a liquor store in an undesirable neighborhood won't be built. That type of questionable product could only have been conceived and proposed in the frothiest part of a massive housing bubble, which is exactly what was happening when SunCal proposed this plan 15 months ago. The bubble has popped in a very ugly way, and the market won't be ready to accept this type of huge development for at least a decade, if not longer.

SunCal missed the party, big time. They know that too, and they won't be building a thing in Anaheim for many years. So now the initiative with their name all over it has been pulled off of the ballot, and officially they will work to gather signatures.

But something tells me they won't do much of anything to get those signatures, and this is the first step down the new path they are taking to leave Anaheim entirely and back away from this misguided and messy development.

So, perhaps this is a smart thing for SunCal to do, seeing as how they have to find a way to get out of the Anaheim mess they created. This action of playing the victim and "respectfully" requesting that their initiative be taken off the ballot for now is likely the first step in their Anaheim Exit Strategy.

Regardless..... Buh-bye SunCal. Thanks for visiting Anaheim! Did you at least get to ride Space Mountain and see the parade?
    You have summed up my thoughts on this as well.
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Banned User

I am very happy about this. Glad to see our resort is safe again, for the time being.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    I am very happy about this. Glad to see our resort is safe again, for the time being.
    may I ask if you work for the company?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

SunCal needs to just give up. Everybody knows they've lost. They ought to just get out before they embarass themselves even more.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post

Well written. I've wondered if reality hit and someone on the city counsel made a phone call to explain the embarrassment the whole thing is to them and SunCal.

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    I can't read minds, but based on the actions SunCal has taken, it looks like they understand there is no real chance of them winning in the public vote of the registered voters of Anaheim.
    One thing I found that was kind so sad was the SunCal was not telling the whole truth. I was reading some pro SunCal info on the web and one thing I read was they (Suncal) said the reason Soar turned the names into be county to be counted is because they had over 2000 people who had signed the retraction cards to take there names off of the pro Disney petition.
    This is a small thing but when one side will lie about the truth it says a lot about the company.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• Banned User

my question to Diane Singer is this......

what the ****?????

lady, do you have **** for brains???????

The Disney Company is going to fix the problem, that being the "underperforming park"

what more do you want, The company to go by your office each morning and wipe your ***????

sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    SunCal needs to just give up. Everybody knows they've lost. They ought to just get out before they embarass themselves even more.
    Yup. I think this latest chapter for SunCal, and the apparent foundation being laid for their exit strategy that someone else mentioned, is pretty clear.

SunCal has to see the writing on the wall with this one. They are done.

Now I wonder what happens to the City Council members who hitched their wagons to SunCal's cart?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast